Author Topic: Net Neutrality  (Read 8851 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Net Neutrality
« on: December 04, 2017, 09:09:12 AM »
I thought this was a good executive summary on net neutrality. This is only one aspect of it, but it's one the "social fairness" people ignore. It's especially significant to me, because as I keep (possibly annoyingly by now) mentioning around here, the Googles and Facebooks are getting a little scary to me.

On Futurama, Mom's Friendly Robots Company was supposed to be a dig at Apple, but really, they were in many ways showing us Google and Facebook (and I guess Netflix and Amazon as well) regarding the face of a company being "socially aware", while in the back rooms, they look at how they can solidify their empires and kill competition.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/24004/everything-you-need-know-about-why-net-neutrality-harry-khachatrian

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Net Neutrality
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 12:03:57 PM »
Going-in Premise One:

(1) They're all friggin' evil anyhow.

There is no Premise Two.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 12:32:37 PM »
Going-in Premise One:

(1) They're all friggin' evil anyhow.

There is no Premise Two.

Agreed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 01:19:45 PM »
I'm kind of torn, what is going to keep a Tier 3 cable provider that offers Internet, from dicking around with prices of streaming companies. Especially when they are the sole provider in communities of high speed internet.

For example Mediacom has a lot of communities tied up in Iowa for cable/HS Internet, what is to keep them from throttling Sling or Hulu unless they pay more for the speed streaming requires? Mediacom has done a good job of preventing competition through municipal contracts, pole leasing, etc.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 02:08:09 PM »
But creating another highly regulated environment on top of another does not cancel them out.  Better to eliminate the local monopoly or figure out how to bypass it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 02:38:26 PM »
Better to eliminate the local monopoly or figure out how to bypass it. 

I agree but it takes a lot of money to set up an HS ISP.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »
I'm kind of torn, what is going to keep a Tier 3 cable provider that offers Internet, from dicking around with prices of streaming companies. Especially when they are the sole provider in communities of high speed internet.

For example Mediacom has a lot of communities tied up in Iowa for cable/HS Internet, what is to keep them from throttling Sling or Hulu unless they pay more for the speed streaming requires? Mediacom has done a good job of preventing competition through municipal contracts, pole leasing, etc.

There is your answer. That stuff shouldn’t be legal. Local municipalities shouldn’t be able to dictate monopolies on services.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 02:48:49 PM »
There is your answer. That stuff shouldn’t be legal. Local municipalities shouldn’t be able to dictate monopolies on services.

Shouldn't be but it is. I think it goes back to the early days of Community Antenna Television (CATV).

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 05:44:47 PM »
Shouldn't be but it is. I think it goes back to the early days of Community Antenna Television (CATV).
Yep.  And until someone comes in with wireless or satellite becomes better, there may not be a good answer.  I still think adding more regulation/monopoly on top of that is not a good answer.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 05:48:44 PM »
Yep.  And until someone comes in with wireless or satellite becomes better, there may not be a good answer.  I still think adding more regulation/monopoly on top of that is not a good answer.

We got an independent guy where I live that is doing wireless and expanding. I use him for my house, 10 mbs with no data caps for $50 a month. He is slowly expanding in town and really taken off in the small towns 20-30 miles from town.

He also made a public statement he will not restrict anyone's traffic.

He would be in more parts of town, but some of the older neighborhoods have some big tree issues that block the signals without going to a really tall antennas on the houses.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 06:27:02 PM »
My electric Co-Op has a subsidiary that is running fiber to the home. High speed internet, phone and TV. Since they already own the right of way and poles that isn't an issue.
I've got rock solid (so far)100Mb fiber to the home for $48 a month. I can get up to 1Gb but I have no need for that much bandwidth.
As a comparison, my previous DSL was a sketchy 3Mb through "the phone company" for $39 a month (which included my employee discount).
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 06:32:06 PM »
My electric Co-Op has a subsidiary that is running fiber to the home. High speed internet, phone and TV. Since they already own the right of way and poles that isn't an issue.
I've got rock solid (so far)100Mb fiber to the home for $48 a month. I can get up to 1Gb but I have no need for that much bandwidth.
As a comparison, my previous DSL was a sketchy 3Mb through "the phone company" for $39 a month (which included my employee discount).

I believe the City of Longmont Colorado just got done with that all over town.  Son2 seemed to be pretty impressed with it when it got to his house.

The cable providers had conniption fits over it according to what I heard and tried every bick in the trook to prevent it.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 06:36:48 PM »
I believe the City of Longmont Colorado just got done with that all over town.  Son2 seemed to be pretty impressed with it when it got to his house.

The cable providers had conniption fits over it according to what I heard and tried every bick in the trook to prevent it.

If it is the city as provider I'm dead set against it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 07:29:30 PM »
If it is the city as provider I'm dead set against it.

I used to live in a town where the utility company was owned by the city. It was awesome, rates were cheaper than the private industry side, employees were paid more, and mediacom pitched a fit when they got into the cable/internet business because they had to lower their rates and pay the workers more.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:25:16 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 09:08:17 PM »
But creating another highly regulated environment on top of another does not cancel them out.  Better to eliminate the local monopoly or figure out how to bypass it. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The problem is not Mediacom, but the local .gov's that grant them a monopoly....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 11:04:20 PM »
I love how the situation we're in is because of local government subsidized and encouraged monopolies, FCC regulation and overregulation... and people want to chuck more government on a government created problem
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 11:05:57 PM »
I love how the situation we're in is because of local government subsidized and encouraged monopolies, FCC regulation and overregulation... and people want to chuck more government on a government created problem

Isn't that how we've always done things?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 08:18:53 AM »

It's not practical for 95% of the US. That's akin to asking why we don't run multiple water pipes or electrical lines to every house. It's not feasible. You're going to have a local monopoly. Though the process there could be significantly more transparent. Good luck getting legislatures to ban ISPs bribing politicians and municipal governments.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 10:29:20 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G35g5HQVjpU&feature=push-u&attr_tag=AIZa6kTN7b9VVf6F-6
Crowder had a discussion on this.  

IMO, all the newer technology is moving toward making it easier to bypass these monopolies.  I agree that it will be difficult to get rid of them.  However, very few people like them which is demonstrated when alternatives are made available and the monopoly loses customers.  

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 10:38:28 AM »
It's not practical for 95% of the US. That's akin to asking why we don't run multiple water pipes or electrical lines to every house. It's not feasible. You're going to have a local monopoly. Though the process there could be significantly more transparent. Good luck getting legislatures to ban ISPs bribing politicians and municipal governments.
Water is an entirely different animal with different regulations.  No point in even bringing that into the discussion, IMO. 

My state already has a mostly free market on electricity (in most areas).  For cable TV, satellite options have been available for quite some time and internet options are getting better.  What I see for internet is wireless and other alternatives are becoming more available with better speeds and I hear satellite may be a better option in the near future.  Yes, there may not be much option in your area right now, but give it time. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 10:41:07 AM »

They didn't have a problem allowing them to run cables for cable TV in the 1980's and 1990's, when there were already phone lines going to every house.   There's plenty of space on utility poles* for fiber and/or newer tech to go into houses that choose them over Phone/Cable providers.

* - or via satellite or cell towers which would bypasses the entire need for .gov created monopolies.  Even Charby mentioned a company doing the cellular thing for intewebz access....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 10:45:51 AM »

I live on the edge of a major city.  Not the sticks, but not "in town".  I have my choice of 4 High-speed ISP's depending on what I want to pay and get.  At least three of them are using different infrastructure.  Closer to town, there's a couple more.

At least in FL, even in the sticks, you can usually get at least one land-based broadband, and satellite.  There's also 4g cellular data in much of the state.

We'd be better served busting the infrastructure monopolies than trying to pretend the .gov can do a good job picking ISP winners and losers.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 11:06:48 AM »
I've always had fantasies about running a system of repeaters based on infra-red.  Line of sight, but so are µwaves, pretty much.

Maybe I should, nowadays.

Just a fantasy, never really worked out the technical aspects of it.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 04:52:57 PM by 230RN »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 03:56:52 PM »
They didn't have a problem allowing them to run cables for cable TV in the 1980's and 1990's, when there were already phone lines going to every house.   There's plenty of space on utility poles* for fiber and/or newer tech to go into houses that choose them over Phone/Cable providers.

* - or via satellite or cell towers which would bypasses the entire need for .gov created monopolies.  Even Charby mentioned a company doing the cellular thing for intewebz access....

The way I understood it was so it would be worth their while to invest in the infrastructure into those communities. Also if competition came into some of those smaller communities, the Tier 3 might also be the Tier 2 provider.

The option I use is not cellular, the Tier 3 puts up towers in town and you have a 6" addressable dish on your house to receive the signal. Range is pretty limited and you have to have a clear line of site to the tower. I almost couldn't do it because of a tree in my backyard, but the owner was able to get the dish up high enough on my 30' TV aerial to receive it. Side note: A storm last spring took care of the tree.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 07:57:41 PM »
Probably should of put a 30 year sunset on the catv monopolies.

Uranus is a gas giant.