Author Topic: Hey Shortwave Guys  (Read 522 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Hey Shortwave Guys
« on: December 05, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
I know we have some Ham enthusiasts here. I just received this as an early birthday present:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJ51NVA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Range is 1700khz-29999khz. What are some good frequencies to listen to that will come in with the cheap ass 25' wire antenna it came with?

I tried getting some hints from the interwebz, but nothing came up but static on the suggested frequencies (Voice of America for example). I got a bunch of religious broadcasts (mostly end of the world stuff) in the 5000khz range, and some Mexican stuff in the 6000khz range. Also a few I'm pretty sure Chinese broadcasts. I forget where, but pretty high up in the frequency range.

Any good primers on the internet for what to listen to and where (for a west coast based receiver)? I remember having a really cheap SW receiver years ago (one of those SHTF ones with a crank) with an analog dial, and even with the little built in telescopic antenna, I recall listening to German and other European broadcasts, mostly at night.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Hey Shortwave Guys
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 01:49:48 PM »
Shortwave is kind of dying and many HAMs are moving into digital modes.  I suppose you can listen in on Hams using HF SSB, but the glory days of listening to compelling worldwide broadcasts is over.  IIRC, the BBC recently decommissioned its SW broadcasts.

Chris