Author Topic: Franken Resigns  (Read 7006 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Franken Resigns
« on: December 07, 2017, 12:17:30 PM »
While  the D governor of Minnesota gets to name replacement resulting in no net change in the Senate, the bumbling ass that is Franken is gone.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/12/07/breaking-sen-al-franken-resigns-following-sexual-misconduct-allegations/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Franken Resigns
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 12:27:56 PM »
I wonder if he gave Diane Feinstein a farewell squeeze on the way out...

Nothing makes me happier than to see this smug sack of crap crawl off.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 12:43:23 PM »
Looking forward to see the even worse replacement.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 01:15:15 PM »
Did you notice, as I did, that when Franken referred to his replacement he said "she"?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 01:48:32 PM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 01:55:16 PM »
Al Franken -- poster child for liberal hypocrisy:

http://www.startribune.com/sen-al-franken-announces-he-is-resigning/462545273/

Franken said in his speech that he had been excited about growing awareness of mistreatment of women, and consequences for the men who mistreat. “I was excited about the conversation and I hoped it would result in real change. Then the conversation turned to me,” he said.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »
Did you notice, as I did, that when Franken referred to his replacement he said "she"?

Yes. Could be because he already knows that the replacement will be the female Lt. Governor ... or it could be that it was his last gasp at trying to play the champion of women.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 03:43:33 PM »
Al Franken -- poster child for liberal hypocrisy:

http://www.startribune.com/sen-al-franken-announces-he-is-resigning/462545273/

Franken said in his speech that he had been excited about growing awareness of mistreatment of women, and consequences for the men who mistreat. “I was excited about the conversation and I hoped it would result in real change. Then the conversation turned to me,” he said.

You'd have to have a heart of stone not to fall over laughing at that!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 03:46:29 PM »
While I don't have any love for Franken, I do see a potential problem with him (and Conyers, and other dems) "voluntarily" resigning.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, note this is purely from a strategic POV, vs them being scumbags and whether the allegations against them are true or not. I'm somewhat biased to this POV because I was wondering about it a couple of weeks ago already, but also heard some pretty strong arguments from political strategists on the teevee this morning.

The problem with Franken, et.al. resigning is that, with the general population at least, it potentially puts the dems on the high road (or a perception thereof). If Moore doesn't resign*, they can rope him in, along with Trump, as examples of Rs not holding the high ground regarding behavior they preach about all the time, while the dems, "took care of our problems". And really, so far it hasn't hurt the dems. The seats will almost certainly filled by other dems, and are in districts where Rs stand little chance of getting a seat.

I can easily see these dem resignations as acceptable collateral damage to them if they think it can put them in a catbird seat, or conversely, give the Rs problems, especially in 2018. I think the dems would like nothing better than to continually toss out the, "sexual predator Trump should resign" line. Or, "Rs should not support Trump, just like we didn't support our guys".

I also read this morning that there are potentially 20-30 more pols about to have sexual harassment claims thrown against them. I can't believe they will only have a "D" next to their name.

Anyway, tinfoil off.

* I generally agree with the comments in the Moore thread here. He might be guilty of some stuff, but the allegations from so long ago coming out at exactly the most damaging time for him are fishy. Nevertheless, even if he is 100% innocent, if he's elected now that these dem resignations have occurred, the accusations will be a ball and chain around him and the Republican party for his entire time in office. In some ways it might be best for him to take one for the team, much as Franken has (whether willingly or unwillingly) done.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 04:44:58 PM »
* I generally agree with the comments in the Moore thread here. He might be guilty of some stuff, but the allegations from so long ago coming out at exactly the most damaging time for him are fishy. Nevertheless, even if he is 100% innocent, if he's elected now that these dem resignations have occurred, the accusations will be a ball and chain around him and the Republican party for his entire time in office. In some ways it might be best for him to take one for the team, much as Franken has (whether willingly or unwillingly) done.

Probably not for his entire time in office. Neither the media nor the populace today has the patience to remember anything longer than about ten days. If he gets elected, there will be some noise about this for a short time, and then the liberals will be off an some other "issue" and Moore's dating preferences from thirty years ago will be forgotten.

Unless he does something stupid, like proposition an intern in his office.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 05:36:04 PM »

I also read this morning that there are potentially 20-30 more pols about to have sexual harassment claims thrown against them. I can't believe they will only have a "D" next to their name.

Maybe the first? https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/arizonas-trent-franks-expected-resign

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 06:24:54 PM »
Point of order:  Franken said he will resign "in a few weeks."  He is still in office.  He did not set a date to resign.  A few weeks could be 3 or it could be 53.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 06:42:24 PM »
Point of order:  Franken said he will resign "in a few weeks."  He is still in office.  He did not set a date to resign.  A few weeks could be 3 or it could be 53.

This is true.

I wonder - are there any legal or procedural hurdles if 15 weeks from now (when this is no longer fresh in people's minds) he says, "My colleagues and constituents have convinced me that leaving would be a mistake and the best thing for me to do is remain in office."?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 06:44:29 PM »
Point of order:  Franken said he will resign "in a few weeks."  He is still in office.  He did not set a date to resign.  A few weeks could be 3 or it could be 53.

He's probably negotiating with the governor and his state's Democratic party apparatus regarding who will be tapped to replace him. Once that has been settled, he'll go. Plus, since he has indicated that he "will" resign, he may have forestalled the ethics investigation he himself called for -- and then claims would be too great a distraction to allow him to do his work.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 07:37:46 PM »
He's probably negotiating with the governor and his state's Democratic party apparatus regarding who will be tapped to replace him.
He's probably also asking the D leadership "What's in it for me if I resign?"

Look for him to land a cushy consultant's job, a phony-baloney (but well paid) DNC position, or a series of lucrative speaking engagements somewhere.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 10:03:23 PM »

Look for him to land a cushy consultant's job, a phony-baloney (but well paid) DNC position, or a series of lucrative speaking engagements somewhere.

As long as that piece of filth is out of an official job,  I'm fine with it.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 10:18:51 PM »
As long as that piece of filth is out of an official job,  I'm fine with it.

The sad news is that he'll be collecting a pension for the rest of his life.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 09:54:25 AM »

I have heard it suggested that if Moore is elected and decides to stay in office, he may decide not to resign. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 11:26:00 PM »
The sad news is that he'll be collecting a pension for the rest of his life.

Cheap at twice the price.  And at the rate we're going,  joke will be on him anyway when inflation catches up.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 06:07:08 AM »
Sitting back and looking at this remotely, this is actually kind of worrying.

By forcing Conyers and Franken out of the party, the Democrats are trying VERY hard to establish a party-line moral superiority on this issue that they can use as a bludgeon with voters come election time, and the Republicans/Trump are not helping themselves in the least. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 06:36:49 AM »
Sitting back and looking at this remotely, this is actually kind of worrying.

By forcing Conyers and Franken out of the party, the Democrats are trying VERY hard to establish a party-line moral superiority on this issue that they can use as a bludgeon with voters come election time, and the Republicans/Trump are not helping themselves in the least. 

Yup.  Again, the Democrats are playing chess while the Republicans are playing checkers.

Chris

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 08:01:19 AM »
. . . By forcing Conyers and Franken out of the party,. . .

Not to nitpick, but I don't believe they're being forced out of the party . . . they're being encouraged to leave office.

And I've little doubt that there's a "carrot and stick" approach being used behind the scenes, with some very tangible reward payoff being dangled in front of them if they resign.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Franken Resigns
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 08:43:59 AM »
Yup.  Again, the Democrats are playing chess while the Republicans are playing checkers.

Chris
You say that like they're even playing. At times they're more like the chubby kid no one likes sitting off in the corner picking his nose and eating the buggers.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 11:30:30 PM »

Yeah, I noticed that too.   Local conservative talk show host has a conspiracy theory.   Franken is going to wait until the result of the Moore election - if he wins, he'll use it as fodder for why he shouldn't need to resign if Moore doesn't.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 09:22:24 AM »
Again, from a purely strategic viewpoint: If Moore wins, I hope Franken does do an about face and chooses to stay. Because that would pretty much kill most of the "high road" narrative of the Dems.