Author Topic: Franken Resigns  (Read 7003 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Franken Resigns
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 09:48:40 AM »
Well, that grand chess Gambit would work if the Dems had more people able to drive a few feet down a moral high road without hitting a phone pole or dead hooker. I think we can concede that both parties are the gift that keeps on giving.

I want to get back to the meat and potatoes of Dem corruption, stuff like Corrine Brown and Hillary do. And why is Brown going to prison? Her stuff looks like page two of Hillary's charge sheet.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 07:58:43 PM »
Sitting back and looking at this remotely, this is actually kind of worrying.

By forcing Conyers and Franken out of the party, the Democrats are trying VERY hard to establish a party-line moral superiority on this issue that they can use as a bludgeon with voters come election time, and the Republicans/Trump are not helping themselves in the least. 

I've already started to see stuff like that.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 09:21:24 PM »
Has anyone on the Republican side other than Moore been accused of actually doing something?  His is the only name I can think of.  I realize Democrats assume Trump is guilty, but no one has ever claimed he actually did anything.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 09:35:57 PM »
Has anyone on the Republican side other than Moore been accused of actually doing something?  His is the only name I can think of.  I realize Democrats assume Trump is guilty, but no one has ever claimed he actually did anything.

Trent Franks, a representative (?) from Arizona. 

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 01:04:18 AM »
Has anyone on the Republican side other than Moore been accused of actually doing something?

Well, Rand Paul taunted that poor guy with his lawn mower.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2017, 06:56:36 AM »
Remember...

If Moore actually wins, Republicans have already said that they will look at immediately expelling him from the Senate.

If that does happen, and the Republicans actually do something, that means that the governor would appoint a new senator.

Kay Ivey is a Republican, and she's pretty conservative, so chances are the replacement would be similarly conservative.

I wonder if Trump throwing his support behind Moore is nothing more than a calculated move that would secure the seat AND ensure that someone other than Moore holds it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2017, 11:05:57 AM »
Remember...

If Moore actually wins, Republicans have already said that they will look at immediately expelling him from the Senate.

If that does happen, and the Republicans actually do something, that means that the governor would appoint a new senator.

Kay Ivey is a Republican, and she's pretty conservative, so chances are the replacement would be similarly conservative.

I wonder if Trump throwing his support behind Moore is nothing more than a calculated move that would secure the seat AND ensure that someone other than Moore holds it.

Do you think Trump is that Machiavellian smart? ???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2017, 11:17:09 AM »

Trump has either amazing instincts or a highly strategic mind. (I'm guessing it's a mix of the two).

Trump has many faults, among which are that he is immoral (likely amoral), egotistical, and crass. But he is by no means stupid.

He does not appear to be eloquent (I'm uncertain if he does his "big, beautiful, wonderful" superlatives as a shtick or because that's how he actually thinks and talks), but he knows how to use language to get things accomplished.

So, yes, Trump may very well be that smart.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »

Maybe, maybe not.

But remember, there are a LOT of VERY smart people on the Republican side who have Trump's ear. Or the ear of people who have Trump's ear.

Unfortunately, though, Fox is now reporting that the Democrat has a 10 point lead over Moore.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2017, 12:12:17 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2017, 12:32:56 PM »
I read a blurb on RCP a week or so ago that explained why the polls in the AL Senate race have no idea who's going to win.  It boiled down to this is such a strange election that no one has any real idea what a "likely voter" is, and sample selection causes polls to swing wildly.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2017, 01:32:59 PM »
Trump has either amazing instincts or a highly strategic mind. (I'm guessing it's a mix of the two).

Trump has many faults, among which are that he is immoral (likely amoral), egotistical, and crass. But he is by no means stupid.

He does not appear to be eloquent (I'm uncertain if he does his "big, beautiful, wonderful" superlatives as a shtick or because that's how he actually thinks and talks), but he knows how to use language to get things accomplished.

So, yes, Trump may very well be that smart.

He's certainly not eloquent!

I'm not saying he's stupid....but he does often seem insensitive to the consequences of some of his .... communications.    I don't  hold it against him that he "hits back" when hit,   but he seems to do so indescriminantly without a  lot of thought to there being some circumstances where it would be wiser to adopt a poker face.
While I support maybe 97%  of what he does I think of him as being  rather crude and unrefined.

I'm not certain I would say he's immoral, or amoral.....that depends upon the truth of some of the background blather.   I suppose if one enjoys adolescent locker-room boasting,  then yes,  he's crude.

But then,  LBJ  urinated in the Rosegarden and picked his beagle dog up by its ears,  so Trump is  nothing really new....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 01:33:54 PM »
Maybe, maybe not.

But remember, there are a LOT of VERY smart people on the Republican side who have Trump's ear. Or the ear of people who have Trump's ear.

Unfortunately, though, Fox is now reporting that the Democrat has a 10 point lead over Moore.

Ha!    Here's one that Fox   is scwewing up on!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 01:34:29 PM »
And of course, the New York Times is screeching that the race is already decided because of "EVIL PHOTO VOTER ID REQUIREMENTS!!!"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/11/opinion/roy-moore-alabama-senate-voter-suppression.html?_r=0

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2017, 01:54:11 PM »
I think that Trump is waving the red flag in front of the media with his left hand, just to get them spun up on crap that really doesn't matter.  In the mean time the important stuff is getting done by his right hand.  (Judges, undoing Obama EO's, rules and regulations, Reducing the size of the Fed.gov and spending.)  (Yeah, the last two aren't huge, but for once there is less spending and fewer federal employees.  Not slowing the rate of spending and .gov growth, but actually reducing $$$ spent and headcount.)

Covfefe !!!

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2017, 05:52:50 PM »
So Megyn Kelly, who seems to have caught the TDS, had three Trump accusers on her show today. I don't know about the seriousness of the other two women's allegations, but the third woman is claiming sexual harassment over him asking her for her phone number. Wouldn't that make pretty much every male in the world a sexual predator?

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/12/11/i-wish-i-had-been-stronger-then-accuser-recalls-time-trump-asked-for-her-phone-number/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• friend

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2017, 10:12:44 AM »
Well, here we go:

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/12/18/doggone-it-they-really-like-him-dem-senators-urge-al-franken-not-to-resign-eye-roll/

In some ways, I would like to see this happen. Thy would go from their "high road" plan to having zero credibility on their attacks on Rs. As smarmy as Franken is, pretty much anyone who replaces him would be voting the same as him anyway, so no net loss or gain for Rs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2017, 10:16:51 AM »
OOOOO! I know the proper response to this!

And the media will completely ignore the hypocrisy and, if questioned, the Dem response will be "It worked, didn't it?"

The Democrats are so predictable, it's almost funny.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
Don't you love how the media and legal system is still vigorous in pursuing Roy Moore's crimes?  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2017, 06:51:27 AM »
Anyone see that Joe Manchin is urging Franken NOT to resign and is calling out his Democrat colleagues for being scalp-hunting hypocrites?

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2017, 11:56:30 AM »
Yep, heard that this morning.....This is my shocked face.... ;/

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2017, 03:33:34 PM »
Well, it's been a couple of weeks now and he still hasn't left yet. Ah, I see that he has slated January 2, 2018 as his last date. We'll see if he's a liar or not.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2017, 01:27:23 PM »
Well, it's been a couple of weeks now and he still hasn't left yet. Ah, I see that he has slated January 2, 2018 as his last date. We'll see if he's a liar or not.

Probably a political reason to wait for the New Year, like how long an appointed replacement can serve before an election takes place, plus he probably gets perks like health insurance and what not for all of 2018 (speculation).