Author Topic: "Stock" recipes you like but modify a little  (Read 4519 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
"Stock" recipes you like but modify a little
« on: December 07, 2017, 03:43:57 PM »
I've modded this rum cake recipe and it is a favorite when I take it to my sailing club socials

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/17456/golden-rum-cake/print/?servings=12

I use Capt. Morgan black rum for this and where the cake recipe calls for vegetable oil I use butter.
For the glaze I use about 1/8-1/4 cup more sugar and maybe a shot or three more rum.
I've also made it with pecans instead of walnuts.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: "Stock" recipes you like but modify a little
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 05:48:04 PM »
I modify just about every recipe I use, often even if I'm making it for the first time.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: "Stock" recipes you like but modify a little
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:38:38 PM »
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/110656/ginger-sekanjabin/

Screw the prep work on the ginger; wash it and use the blender, adding vinegar to keep it liquid enough to continue blending.  Use 2-3 cups of sugar and boil the water to get the sugar dissolved, then dump the vinegar/ginger sludge into the pot.  Simmer for a while, then scoop out the biggest chunks, and process through one of those resuable coffee filters.

I store it in empty 20 ounce water bottles; add to cold water to taste.  High energy and really refreshing for a summer ride drink.  It can be addictive, though; I've been known to buy out all the ginger in HEB and use a 3 gallon stock pot to make enough for a campout.