Author Topic: Spiced Rhubarb Pie  (Read 2446 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Spiced Rhubarb Pie
« on: December 08, 2017, 10:28:49 AM »
This was an experiment from the other day, my wife's quilting club made it disappear.

Preheat oven to 450F

9" pie crust in pan

4 cups rhubarb (cut in 1" thick pieces)

1 cup sugar
6 teaspoons white flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground gloves

1/3 stick of butter (not margarine) in 6-7 thin slices

Thoroughly mix the dry ingredients together, put a 1/4" layer of the dry mix in the bottom of the pie crust. Add the rhubarb to pie crust, level with top, sprinkle the rest of the dry mix over the top getting to settle into the rhubarb. Evening space out butter pats on top.

I do open face pies for rhubarb, one could do a top crust or lattice.

Bake at 450 for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 and back for another 30 minutes (or until pie is bubbly)

Cool and enjoy.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Spiced Rhubarb Pie
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 10:40:33 AM »
I absolutely freaking LOVE rhubarb pie.

Not sure if I'd be too crazy about the spices in it.

But I know I'd eat it before I'd eat the abomination know as strawberry-rhubarb pie.

When I see someone trot one of those out, I want to hurt them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 11:30:22 AM »
I absolutely freaking LOVE rhubarb pie.

Not sure if I'd be too crazy about the spices in it.

I do to, but I had a bumper crop of rhubarb and trying different things to thin out the freezer supply. I'm going to have a lot more rhubarb next year because I split the old clump last spring that came with the house and it grew like crazy in my raised garden bed this year.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 11:49:47 AM »
Maybe you should send some to Grampster to see if the rhubarb will overpower the bamboo...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 12:05:33 PM »
Brown Butter - Almond Cakelets with Rhubarb
Adapted from The Seattle Times and Pastry Chef David Jue

I know, I know. The amount of butter called for here sounds absolutely ungodly, and it is. If it’s any consolation, it shrinks as it browns, so it at least looks less scary, even if it’s just as fatty. Remember: all that sweetly browned fat contributes a lot of flavor to these little cakes. It’s worth it—every now and then, at least.

¾ lb. (3 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup almond flour (also sold as “almond meal”)
½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 2/3 cups powdered sugar
5 large egg whites
1/3 lb. rhubarb, finely chopped
Apricot jam, for glazing (optional)
Loosely whipped cream or ice cream, for serving (optional)

Put the butter in a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, and stir until it turns a dark amber color, similar to maple syrup, about 10-15 minutes. Remove the butter from the heat, and strain it through a cheesecloth-lined sieve into a small bowl to remove the foamy butter solids and any dark sediment. The butter should smell deeply caramelly. Set it aside to cool, but do not allow it to harden.

When the butter is cool, weigh it. You should have 6 ounces for this recipe, and 3 sticks, when browned, yields just a bit too much. Set a small bowl atop a scale, zero the scale, and pour exactly 6 ounces of browned butter into the bowl. This is what you will use for the recipe; any remaining butter can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for other uses.

In a large bowl, sift together the almond flour, all-purpose flour, and powdered sugar. Add the egg whites, and stir with a rubber spatula to combine. It will look a little odd and slimy. Add the brown butter, and fold until smooth. The batter will at first look strange and oily, but keep folding and stirring gently, and it will come together. Refrigerate, covered, for at least one hour and up to a day.

When you are ready to bake the cakes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly butter or spray 10 (½-cup) muffin cups.

Scoop the batter by ¼-cupfuls into the prepared muffin cups. The batter should be thick and dense: you may want to spoon it into the measuring cup, and then scrape the contents into the muffin cup. Sprinkle about 1 ½ Tbs minced rhubarb on top, and lightly press the rhubarb into the batter. Bake the cakes for 25-30 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned and the tops look dry. Allow them to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges to release them, and remove them to a rack to cool completely.

If you want to glaze the cakes, warm two or three spoonfuls of apricot jam and a drizzle of water in a small saucepan over low heat. When the jam is loose and melted, brush and dab it lightly over each cake. Serve plain, or, if you like, with loosely whipped cream or a small scoop of slightly softened ice cream.

Yield: 10 cakelets

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 12:32:41 PM »
Maybe you should send some to Grampster to see if the rhubarb will overpower the bamboo...

Rhubarb requires hands on management to get it to spread.

Uranus is a gas giant.