Author Topic: Mad Dog Bites ISIS  (Read 1758 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Mad Dog Bites ISIS
« on: December 08, 2017, 10:51:44 AM »
I'm interested in the thoughts of combat vets here. I don't have the knowledge to comment, other than it appears that Trump just letting Mattis do his thing and keeping the politicians out of the way has created an efficient machine that is walking ISIS and terrorism back in a relatively short time span.

I have to wonder how things would be in that region if this had happened eight years ago, when we were told ISIS was the "JV team", and the military was severely restricted from doing their jobs. Plus having command personnel constantly having to second guess themselves because they never knew when a non-PC decision would get them fired, or worse.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/12/08/trump-mattis-turn-military-loose-on-isis-leaving-terror-caliphate-in-tatters.html

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Mad Dog Bites ISIS
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 11:25:32 AM »
I was in Vietnam in 1968. Even then, it was a common understanding (whether or not strictly true or correct, but I suspect it was mostly both) that with the number of troops we had there and the amount of firepower at our disposal we could have completely routed the NVA and destroyed the Viet Cong within six months -- if we had been allowed to cut loose. But we were restrained and hamstrung by rules of engagement.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 02:12:41 PM »
During classes at West Point, we discussed this kind of thing from the perspective of combat tactics versus moral/ethics of leadership.  The takeaway was that when planning for battle, you come up with your initial plan, which will defeat the enemy, no holds barred.  You then begin to impose restrictions on that plan, such as minimizing collateral damage to civilians, complying with the rules of engagement.  You then engage the enemy, throw the plan out the window, and adapt/improvise/overcome.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 04:04:54 PM »
I was in Vietnam in 1968. Even then, it was a common understanding (whether or not strictly true or correct, but I suspect it was mostly both) that with the number of troops we had there and the amount of firepower at our disposal we could have completely routed the NVA and destroyed the Viet Cong within six months -- if we had been allowed to cut loose. But we were restrained and hamstrung by rules of engagement.

This was hit constantly in my professional military training like ALS and NCO Academy.  The amount of political hampering in Vietnam is seen as a principle reason why we couldn't have at least forced a NK type 50-50 split, if not outright won.

Then we had Desert Storm where the politicians gave us goals and otherwise mostly stayed out of the way, not dictating stuff down to rules of engagement and approving or denying individual attacks.  Where the military was extremely successful in executing said goals until it got political again with the occupation.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 08:13:11 PM »

Then we had Desert Storm where the politicians gave us goals and otherwise mostly stayed out of the way, not dictating stuff down to rules of engagement and approving or denying individual attacks.  Where the military was extremely successful in executing said goals until it got political again with the occupation.

The occupation was lost before we even started the campaign. During the run-up, the U.S. general advising the administration said he could win the war but that to keep the peace after the invasion he would need 300,000 pairs of boots on the ground. The administration gave him 120,000 (or was it 150,000?), and the rest -- as they say -- is history. We are still paying for that short-sighted decision.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 07:56:19 AM »
That tank, or whatever it was, drifting. :rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 11:34:09 PM »
That tank, or whatever it was, drifting. :rofl:

I had no idea you could do donuts with a tank.............  :O
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy