Author Topic: Social Security COLA  (Read 1764 times)

HankB

• friend
Social Security COLA
« on: December 09, 2017, 10:35:40 AM »
My mother got a Cost of Living Adjustment to her Social Security check - a whopping 2%, dwarfing last year's 0.3%.   Yay!

Her Medicare premium - automatically deducted from her SS amount - went up over 20%.

Now wait just a minute . . .  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Social Security COLA
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 03:07:16 PM »
Yup, I'm up a whopping $14 this year! yay...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 08:11:15 AM »
Not retired but my insurance went up $140 a month for 2018.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 10:23:55 PM »
Mine stayed the same.  My wife's went down.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 08:26:44 AM »
The government giveth....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 03:04:26 PM »
My wife's stayed the same, I am still workin' for the man!!

bob

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 04:06:09 PM »
Last year the COLA raise was equal to the increase in Medicare premiums so everyone netted out the same amount as 2016.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 06:45:26 PM »
Came home to find my Social Security notification in the mail I go up $22 a month starting January 24th, woohoo!!!  I can supersize a couple happy meals.  Considering this is the first increase in 3-4 years...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 09:42:58 PM »
Mine stayed the same.  My wife's went down.

I was wrong.  I went back and looked again and did the math on the calculator.   I got the SS notification and it discussed the fact that we are now allowing an auto deduction of our prescription plan premium from the SS.  It's $22.60.  So I add $22.60 to the amount they are paying for 2018 and it would have been increased by $15.00.

As for my wife, when I add the $22.60 back in, her SS is exactly the same as 2017.  Go figure.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 10:15:41 AM »
Well, with SS is such bad financial shape, it doesn't make sense to give everyone a big COLA.  If they were trying stop it from going bankrupt, they would cut the payments instead... or raise, taxes, or both.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 11:39:14 AM »
Well, with SS is such bad financial shape, it doesn't make sense to give everyone a big COLA.  If they were trying stop it from going bankrupt, they would cut the payments instead... or raise, taxes, or both.

I can see that, in fact the public sector should take up that model. If a company doesn't do as well from one year to the next they should cut everyone's salary in order to make up the projected deficit. It's only fair, who cares if the price of consumer goods continues to increase, if your company is having financial issues the employees should be the first ones to feel the crunch (for the good of the company, of course*).  >:D

bob

*Yes, I know it happens occasionally, I worked for a hospital that needed to save a bunch of money one year so they did an across the board 9% pay cut. I left before it took effect so I got full value from my accrued vacation, instead of losing 9% of its value also.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 12:18:11 PM »
I would happily go back to having Mutual of Oooooooomaha paying me 100% of my disability....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 12:36:44 PM »
What some of you are conveniently forgetting is that the money put into the SS system was exclusively paid for by employees and employers.  The sons of bitches we sent to DC since FDR have been stealing the money and leaving IOU's.  My suggestion is they pay that money back before they spend another effing dime on anything else.  I'm a reasonable man and wouldn't even require they pay back their theft with interest.  I would allow though, that any living and sitting congresscritter have their ass thrown in jail for 6 mos....and I think that would be a bargain for the bastards and bastardettes.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 01:16:12 PM »
What some of you are conveniently forgetting is that the money put into the SS system was exclusively paid for by employees and employers.

I'm certainly not forgetting, I see it come out of every paycheck. Not that I ever expect to see any of it come back to me, the boomers are getting it all.  :mad:
By the time I retire I doubt we'll be able to con the next generation into paying for us.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 07:39:15 PM »
It's happened more than once where my fed.gov annuity has gone up ~$20 and medical insurance rates have increased ~$40. 

Both senators and congressman have answered my letters - usually with a letter addressing a completely different subject.