Author Topic: When does 130 = 90 ?  (Read 2063 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
When does 130 = 90 ?
« on: December 11, 2017, 01:47:19 AM »
When I calc'late in my head that 90 seconds in the microwave isn't enough for six frozen hot dogs.  So I clear the "90" out of the microwave display, and punch in 130.

For 130 seconds, right?

I hate undercooked half frozen hot dogs.

What's that they say about half the population being below average in intelligence?

Duh.

I'm not signing this one.  Just 'cause.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: When does 130 = 90 ?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 03:09:21 AM »
I want to know how you got the 90 into the display in the first place. I've never seen a microwave that would allow that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 03:31:16 AM »
Rival brand.  But if you start it, it drops down to 9 and counts down from that.  I didn't start it, I just cleared it and entered the 130. 

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 03:34:21 AM »
I want to know how you got the 90 into the display in the first place. I've never seen a microwave that would allow that.

Challenge accepted:

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

230RN

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 03:39:26 AM »
Oh, thanks, I just took a picture like that myself.  Obviously, you can enter that, but it's looking for another digit.

Just too close to my snack 'n nap time to have really thought it out in advance.  Just decided 90 seconds, punched it in, then cleared it and entered 130, again thinking in terms of seconds.

Terry

My pic of it:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:57:29 AM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 04:07:38 AM »
Well, this week is not wasted, because I just learned something. I didn't think you could do that, but I just tried it ... and it took it. I didn't have anything to heat up so I didn't start it, but it did allow me to punch in "90."

Silly me for assuming you can't enter more than 60 seconds.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 04:34:13 AM »
Rival brand.  But if you start it, it drops down to 9 and counts down from that.  I didn't start it, I just cleared it and entered the 130. 

Strange, I can do 99 seconds and it will duly operate for 1 minute, 39 seconds.  Punch 100 in though and it will operate for 60 seconds.  Or I can punch in 60.  Etc...

14 year or so old Amana RadarRange.  Convection microwave oven.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 05:48:54 AM »
SKYNET!!1!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 06:23:07 AM »
Eh, it's the easiest way to design the timer, I'd say.

having one that can do 9->0 is standard, doing one only capable of 6->0 is actually more complicated.  For the transition from minutes to seconds, you simply have the 10s digit pull down the minute and move to 6, not 9.

I did that in my electronics class last year.  7-9 are perfectly valid states though.

1:90 would give you 2 minutes, 30 seconds.  It'll just count down the 90 seconds first before it touches the minute.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 06:48:41 AM »
Pretty certain that I can enter 90 seconds on my microwave.

It's a 1989 Kenmore (Sharpe). Thing is immortal. I can't kill it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 08:08:33 AM »
The best type of microwave is like the one I had in college. It had exactly one big knob that you turned to turn it on and set the time.

I wish I could go back in time and kill the Babylonian jerk that invented base-60 time.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 08:47:38 AM »
excel|format cell|[hh]:mm
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 08:57:29 AM »
The best type of microwave is like the one I had in college. It had exactly one big knob that you turned to turn it on and set the time.

Mine has two knobs. One is time, the other is power level.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 09:34:54 AM »

I wish I could go back in time and kill the Babylonian jerk that invented base-60 time.
You dream about time use as soon in Battlestar Galactica don't you?   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 10:35:13 AM »
well that's interesting.
All I ever use the Microradioactivewavething for is storing a loaf of gluten and for heating up a cup of broth to poor over the dogfood (in which case I just close the door and push "1" and it magically knows just how the dog likes it.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 11:11:47 AM »
Funny to see a microwave thread.

Mine - a 21+ year old GE - has just developed an interesting problem: when you open the door, the light goes on and the internal cooling fan (the one that starts when you're microwaving something) also goes on.

As far as I can tell, the microwave emitter is NOT active when the door is open . . . just the fan.

Weird.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 01:06:39 PM »

I too miss the mechanical timer with a knob.  My wrist kinda "knew" how much twist to give a hot dog or two, or three, without actually knowing the number of seconds involved.  And I could crank it backwards if I felt I had "input" too much time.

That was on a little 0.7 ft3 Conaire(?) microwave I had since the divorce from Wife1, and it was still working ten-fifteen years later when it got too clogged up with residual gunk to clean any more.

Surely somebody can come up with a knob-timer with an angle-encoded disc on its shaft to interpret time?  No more getting my glasses just to be able to see the numbers on the keypad.

Ah, but no.... keypads.... that's the way to go in this modern dijital age.  Poke, poke, poke, poke, oh dammit, clear-poke, poke, poke poke...

:D

And I agree on that Babylonian jerk.  Count me in on your away team.  Set phasers to kill.  With that little rotary knob on their sides.

>:D

Terry
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:25:29 PM by 230RN »

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 01:42:28 PM »

I've had a mic  that would use the hour:minute:second  format or you could just punch in the seconds.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 02:03:21 PM »
My folks had an Amana Radarange that bought back in the late 1970's/early 1980's (I think we got it a few years before we got cable TV, which would have been 1981ish, IIRC)

Anyway, you could nuke a good sized Turkey in this thing (which Dad did one year, but everyone thought it was "gross" because it didn't brown...so back to the regular oven every year after that.)

It was still going strong when we moved Mom out two years ago.  Nobody wanted it, so it went to Goodwill/Salvation Army.  I now wish I would have grabbed that thing. 

I'll have to try the 1:30=90 thing when I get home.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 02:56:03 PM »
There are a couple of good browning agents.  Soy sauce is one of them if you can take the salt.