Author Topic: Roy Moore... Wow, but in a way I can get behind...  (Read 3307 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Roy Moore... Wow, but in a way I can get behind...
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 11:08:21 PM »
And from now on every R candidate will be smeared by the MSM as a serial sex offender....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 11:20:30 PM »
UMMMMM, not quite.  Had not the WAPO created the sex claims, Moore would have won this in a laugher.   Now watch as the allegations are either retracted or disproven...

They went nowhere in the last presidential race. I do agree without the allegations Moore would of won.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 11:34:34 PM »
If Jones was smart, being as he knows why he won, knows that Alabama has a goodly amount of social and fiscal conservatives, should wait a few weeks to let the furor die down and then declare he's switching parties.  He'd be a shoe in probably till he died or wanted to retire, plus since the RINOs are obstructing Trump, he'd fit right into that swamp and they'd support him.  He's also aware that the D's are willing to throw anyone under the bus which is a change in behavior, though not with a pure heart.  I guess I'm what one might call an optimistic cynic.

Interesting factoid:  One of the several things I learned in my 18 years of dabbling in elected and appointed politics at the township and county level is that people tend to believe the lie over the truth.    
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 12:17:26 AM »
The idiot party Washington division had to dabble in 'Bama politics,   end result giving us Moore as the R candidate.  He was, sorry to point this out,  a bad candidate.   He's been removed from office twice,  said some very tendentious things,  and whether or not the charges against him by those women were true or not,  they hurt.   Republican voters stayed home.   Many Jones voters -- especially in the "black belt" -- (middle Alabama)  turned out for him.
It is not  a mandate against Trump,  but it is a warning to the Swamp and the so-called deep state.   
But I bet the demorats won't see it that way.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 07:49:38 AM »
I hope some Republicans in Washington take heed, and start supporting the President's agenda. If they have any hope of retaining control of the Congress in 2018 (and it may well be that they'd prefer to lose it), their best hope is to start accomplishing some of the platform that gave them control of the government in 2016, rather than doing their best to stymie the President because they don't like his haircut.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2017, 08:05:30 AM »
Well, I didn't think that the disaster that was Newt Gingrich's term as speaker of the house would ever be topped.

But by damn, I think we're there.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2017, 09:20:06 AM »
Moore is such a POS.... if only the voters had listened to Trump in the primary and voted for Strange (also crooked, but light years behind Moore).  What a fiasco.  How long does Jones have in office before the term is up?  I know it is not a full one.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2017, 09:39:30 AM »
I believe Jones is up for reelection in 2020. I know nothing about him. Given Alabama's reputation as deep red, it will be interesting to see how he votes on bills. For instance, the upcoming reciprocity bill. That has to be a favorable bill to 80% of Alabamans, regardless of party (or maybe I don't know Alabama).

If he votes "no" there, that might be telling.  While not a one issue voter, I have almost always found that how a candidate votes regarding the 2nd tells me how they will vote on almost everything else I care about.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2017, 09:55:13 AM »
Also,  I guess the sorta bright side here is that it will now be difficult for Franken to renege on his resignation, and on the PR side, the dems lose some "high road" ground.

On the not bright side, Hillary Clinton seems to be back in the news because of this.  [barf]
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2017, 09:57:49 AM »
Well, I didn't think that the disaster that was Newt Gingrich's term as speaker of the house would ever be topped.

But by damn, I think we're there.
Wasn't that the last time we got close to zero budget deficit? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2017, 10:01:51 AM »
I believe Jones is up for reelection in 2020. I know nothing about him. Given Alabama's reputation as deep red, it will be interesting to see how he votes on bills. For instance, the upcoming reciprocity bill. That has to be a favorable bill to 80% of Alabamans, regardless of party (or maybe I don't know Alabama).

If he votes "no" there, that might be telling.  While not a one issue voter, I have almost always found that how a candidate votes regarding the 2nd tells me how they will vote on almost everything else I care about.

I hope I'm wrong, but I bet CC reciprocity is DOA.   :mad:

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »
It's sad when the "*expletive deleted*ck you" vote isn't enough to carry the day.
"It's good, though..."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2017, 02:39:42 PM »
It's a short term loss, an R will be back in that seat before long anyway. Assuming they can find a candidate that at least resembles a decent human being.

This is what happens when you allow your politics to become so consumed by bitterness that you back a candidate less on his personal virtues than on the loudness with which he attacks the people you hate. It’s what happens when fighting the enemy becomes more important than what you’re fighting for.

Angry populism and hating the media is not a philosophy, it is not a political ideology, it is not a platform for governing, and it’s not an all-purpose excuse for the character flaws of poorly chosen candidates.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2017, 02:56:01 PM »
I just hate that Alabama flubbed their chance to keep senator Luther Strange.  What an awesome name!  He sounds like a comic book villain. :D
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2017, 03:12:21 PM »
Quote from: http://thefederalist.com/2017/12/13/roy-moore-lesson-folly-angry-populism/
This is what happens when you allow your politics to become so consumed by bitterness that you back a candidate less on his personal virtues than on the loudness with which he attacks the people you hate. It’s what happens when fighting the enemy becomes more important than what you’re fighting for.

Angry populism and hating the media is not a philosophy, it is not a political ideology, it is not a platform for governing, and it’s not an all-purpose excuse for the character flaws of poorly chosen candidates..

More to the point, he thrived by pandering to the “deplorables” whom normal candidates wisely choose not to pander to. Moore pandered to those who like to engage in Confederate nostalgia, to those who want to return to the persecution of homosexuals, to those who fantasize about imposing a religious test for public office.

If the author is equating "deplorable" with "white supremacist", "religious extremist", etc. he's actually proving the point that the "deplorables" have. He sounds like maybe he's one of the Republicans who voted for Hillary Clinton.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2017, 04:04:06 PM »
It's a short term loss, an R will be back in that seat before long anyway. Assuming they can find a candidate that at least resembles a decent human being.

Mo Brooks
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2017, 04:10:29 PM »
Mo Brooks

... just announced he has prostate cancer.  Having surgery Friday.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2017, 07:33:54 PM »
I just hate that Alabama flubbed their chance to keep senator Luther Strange.  What an awesome name!  He sounds like a comic book villain. :D

:facepalm:  He was a greasy snake oil salesman bought off by former Governor Bentley,  a thug in a business suit. [barf]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2017, 05:50:43 AM »
:facepalm:  He was a greasy snake oil salesman bought off by former Governor Bentley,  a thug in a business suit. [barf]

As you are describing a politician isn't that a little redundant?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams