Author Topic: The Last Jedi - Spoilers Inside  (Read 6642 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: The Last Jedi - Spoilers Inside
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2017, 03:56:10 PM »
Well, if you really want to nitpick something, how about hitting the whole series on manually dropping out of lightspeed within a fraction of a light-second of the destination?  They get ready, flip the big lever and they're just a couple minutes out of orbit.  186,000 miles/second and they can pretty much bullseye any point they want, every time.

One theory I've heard is that the lever is actually the sublight engines, and the whole hyperdrive is handled automatically; shut off the sublight as you engage hyperdrive so you're not hurtling along at whatever max normal speed is if you get dropped out of lightspeed unexpectedly, then reengage them when you're in the pilot seat, awake and ready to drop out.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2017, 11:05:56 PM »
I think he's very lucky over and over again.  I was unhappy that Phasma died.  She was an interesting bad guy.

Chris
Also, Phasma had the only suit of stormtrooper armor that actually stopped/deflected a blaster bolt. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2017, 12:29:43 AM »
Hitler watches The Last Jedi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VyZ6XWwY8
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2017, 04:35:49 PM »
Anyone else notice the Jedi books in the final scene in the millennial falcon?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2017, 05:15:01 PM »

Sure did.  That's why Yoda didn't let Luke in the tree.  He'd have seen the books were gone  (my opinion)

"MMMM.  Page turners, They were not."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2017, 09:35:34 PM »

Missed that. LOL Millennial Falcon. Han in skinny jeans and chewy with a neat beard, glasses he doesn't need and a pipe from a store you never heard of?.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2017, 10:29:41 PM »
Missed that. LOL Millennial Falcon. Han in skinny jeans and chewy with a neat beard, glasses he doesn't need and a pipe from a store you never heard of?.

Stupid autocorrect

Uranus is a gas giant.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2017, 04:50:23 PM »

Saw it with a young lady on Saturday. It was alright, no complaints. Not anything special, but certainly better than the second set of trilogies.

It's an open secret that the first trilogy would have been a JarJar level trainwreck if it wasn't for Marcia Lucas, who actually made the films good. Without her, well, you've seen how the rest of the films went. Aside from Rogue One, the rest have been at best meh.

Rogue One is kinda an odd duck. It's the best Star Wars movie by a landslide in my opinion.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2017, 09:06:32 PM »
Saw it with a young lady on Saturday. It was alright, no complaints. Not anything special, but certainly better than the second set of trilogies.

It's an open secret that the first trilogy would have been a JarJar level trainwreck if it wasn't for Marcia Lucas, who actually made the films good. Without her, well, you've seen how the rest of the films went. Aside from Rogue One, the rest have been at best meh.

Rogue One is kinda an odd duck. It's the best Star Wars movie by a landslide in my opinion.

This, in droves.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2017, 12:32:19 AM »
Rogue One is kinda an odd duck.

For such an attractive woman, Felicity Jones has a slightly goofy looking smile.  (I'm sure if I knew her in person I'd have a different opinion, but as it is, IMO, a smile usually seems a bit forced and/or just plain out of place on her face.)  Two hours of her not smiling is a true work of art, IMO.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2017, 12:40:54 AM »
Took the 3 older kids to see Last Jedi tonight.  Some hokeyness aside, we were well entertained.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2017, 01:53:28 AM »
Felicity Jones has a slightly goofy looking smile. 

While much improved, the British Dental profession still has quite a long way to go...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2017, 02:38:47 AM »
While much improved, the British Dental profession still has quite a long way to go...

It's not even that; just somehow she looks like something's not right and she's forcing it.

Again, it's probably different in person, but with the lack of context in photos and even out-of-character video, she just looks a bit off when she smiles.  Like her face wasn't built quite right for it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2017, 08:39:33 AM »
Did anyone get excited when Robbie rebooted Hal when Hal tried to take over the Axion, then there was a Tribble outbreak on Endor and the Enterprise rescued Luke Skywalker from the Lost Planet? How about when Spock finally used the Force?

Uranus is a gas giant.

erictank

• friends
Re: The Last Jedi
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2017, 09:14:01 AM »
Might want to put a spoiler alert in the title of this thread.

Snoke: I was meh on him at first, I think the motion capture performance in this is one of Andy Serkis's weakest.  IDK, it just seemed obviously CG. So I liked that kinda just as he was building to be an overarching bad guy of the trilogy, it was "Nope!, F That guy.)

Bombing in space.  Sigh, that really pulled me out of the first couple minutes of the movie.  Sure maybe they are magnetic, or the gravity well is just right, but geez.  I like how they set Poe up to grow past being a cocky, brash rush in and blow something up, but it was just really bad.

I enjoyed that after 2 years of youtube videos and fan theories on Rey's parents they were like: "*expletive deleted*ck those guys, they were no one." There's a lot of people in the galaxy, we can meet new ones.

I loved Yoda's scene.  Loved that they used a puppet.

Overall I really liked the movie.  It made me care about what Rey and Ren are going to do to each other in the next one, and how they'll grow.  Depending on how JJ Abrams handles 9 I could see the the 7-8-9 trilogy being better than the 4-5-6 set.

Some fans are going to be disappointing because they wanted a life changing experience, and they got a pretty good movie.

Not to pick on anyone, yours was just a convenient list to build from.  To start with - my opinion is that this is tied for second, with Rogue One and behind Empire.  Not FAR behind Empire, and not far at all ahead of ANH.

Re: Snoke not having a backstory - people today are spoiled by the prequel trilogy.  Yes, the PREQUEL trilogy.  Think about the Emperor's role in ESB and ROTJ.  He was on screen for, what, 20 minutes total?  No backstory at all, we didn't know where he came from or how he got his Force powers, or even how he became Emperor.  We knew he controlled Vader pretty thoroughly, and that was enough - he kept the scourge of the Jedi, the Dark Lord of the Sith, on a leash.  Sent him around the galaxy as his enforcer.  When we saw him in ROTJ, he didn't even need a lightsaber, he beat Luke in a heartbeat with Force Lightning, and ended up killing Vader with it.  That's how powerful the Emperor was in the Force, and we STILL don't know anything about his actual training or background prior to appearing as the Senator from Naboo in Ep1.

Similarly, Snoke being misdirected by his reading of Kylo's intent was, IMO, beautifully done.  Snoke's overconfidence led to him believing that he was in control, and knew what his apprentice meant to do, and he DID it - just not aimed at the target Snoke thought.  That betrayal to take over as the primary power in the First Order seemed very fitting, despite neither Snoke nor Kylo being actual Sith.  And so the Apprentice becomes the Master.

The bombers - yeah, lots wrong there.  Allegedly they have magnetic launching racks to slowly toss the bombs downward, but I strongly disliked that scene.  It made little sense - "We're going to put 3+ people, people we REALLY NEED, in these fragile, unmaneuverable, REALLY slow little ships that *HAVE TO* overfly their targets at very close range to "drop" large quantities of high-explosive onto their surfaces".  With one exception I can think of, all "bombing" seen in the films up through Episode 7 (and even a good bit of it in Rogue One) was done by missile or unguided rocket.   X-Wings, Y-Wings, A-Wings, and B-Wings all had forward-facing launchers - Ys and Bs just had a larger missile load.  That one exception was the TIE Bombers in ESB, which dropped charges onto the asteroid surface while trying to flush the Falcon out of hiding - but they had a visible mechanism to DO that, where all the other ships showed that they fired forward.  But you could fire from far enough away that you weren't taking fire from every gun on the target.  In R1 (with Y-Wings when bombing the gate, which REALLY bothered me due to breaking with previous canon and their attack on the Star Destroyers elsewhere in the movie) and now here in Ep8, we see vertically-dispersed bombs.  Ehhh, not buying it.

The bombers were, as noted, FAR too fragile and slow and unmaneuverable to hold them in such a tight formation.  They WANTED to call to mind WWII bombers, but those things were TOUGH.  These fell apart if someone sneezed in their general direction.  That's a fail on multiple fronts.

Rey's parents, on the other hand, being nobodies?  That is a pure, unalloyed WIN.  That and Broom Boy both nicely reinforce Luke's statement that the Force doesn't "belong" to the Jedi, that it doesn't have to be passed only through certain "favored" bloodlines.  it's a part of everyone and everything.  Her parents didn't NEED to be anyone special for her to be special, and I think her Act-3 calm and resolve and success came from her accepting that and moving on with HER life, not the one she imagined she'd have when she found out who her parents were.

But was Kylo actually telling the truth?  Whether or not her parents NEEDED to be anyone special, lying to Rey would have served his purposes by helping him to draw her closer to his position.  Which would have made him stronger, if she'd joined him, because a powerful Force user was dependent on him the same way he'd been dependent on Snoke.  It didn't work, but I could see him trying that.

Kylo was, I think, a better character in this film than in Ep7.  His instability is a plus, as noted, BECAUSE it makes him unpredictable.  

Luke... I was one of those people posting the "I better not see with my own two eyes you killing off Luke Skywalker" meme on FB.  I  have wanted to be Luke Skywalker for 40 years, since first seeing Star Wars (no episode number or anything then) for about 50 times in 1977.  Man, of everything that happened in that movie, Luke was what ALMOST pulled me out of it.  First what I saw as a change to his character in hiding away from the galaxy, and then his end scene.  BUT.  Look at his character prior to ROTJ, where he actually did grow up a lot.  Look at ROTJ, where his impulsive anger almost had him fall to the Dark Side in the fight against his father.  Look at BOTH of his teachers, who ran and hid from the galaxy when Order 66 went out - sure, they couldn't win right then, so a retreat was necessary, but they NEVER CAME BACK OUT.  And Yoda didn't even want to train Luke, when he finally arrived, Ben had to convince him to do it.  Coupled with the magnitude of his own failures, both in service to the galaxy and to his sister by failing to stop Ben from falling to the Dark Side, and personally in even for a moment contemplating taking "the easy way out" and murdering his nephew in his sleep, Luke's retreat from the galaxy makes more sense.  He failed so very badly, with all his own power, how could he do any good?  Better just to go into reclusion, into hiding, and let the galaxy deal with its problems without the complications of the Jedi.  He almost didn't learn his own most important lesson, Yoda had to remind him of it.  Everyone fails.  Everyone has moments of weakness - and in the most powerful, they can have a greatly-heightened impact.  That's what we learn from - where and how did we fail?  Okay, we need to do that differently.  And he did.  It took Rey coming to find him, pointing out his errors, and leaving again.  But his humanity made him more relatable, at least to me.

And his final scene against Kylo?  Perfect.  Every piece of it, right down to the final reveal where he allowed Kylo to learn that he never had a chance to get the final showdown he so desperately wanted.  That he was never going to beat Luke Skywalker.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2017, 10:57:40 AM »
Good point about Snoke compared to the Emperor in the original trilogy.  I hadn't really thought about that.  And the identity of Rey's parents was what was tempting her to the dark side at the island so setting that issue aside would help her out.  

The bombers still tick me off.  I figure it might have been a bad job at trying to set up the the circumstance for that one character's death which led to introducing her sister a few minutes later.  

Also, it occured to me that the rebels started with hundreds if not thousands of people on several ships and ends up with only a few dozen people and a couple of transports.  

One other thing I thought about was in most cases, ships that got severely damaged in star wars generally explode.  In this last movie at the end, they are torn up and just drifting.  That was required to allow the heroes to escape the ship, but it seemed to be a departure from past scenarios.  

Another new thing (new to me?) was the apparent technology set up that the shields of the big ships only stop incoming fire from a distance.  If a small ship gets in close within the shield barrier, they can blow up stuff on the surface.  Which brings up other issues about why they don't have hundreds of smaller defense cannons all over the place and why they don't have dozens of Tie Fighters patrolling at all times and why they don't have guided missiles from multiple launchers going after incoming fighters?   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2017, 11:15:35 AM »
I enjoy star wars movies.
But the nerds quibbling over plot holes in a movie series about magic space ninjas...I can do without.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2017, 11:18:38 AM »
You have to have a plot before you can have holes in it. This one can be summed up with two words from Monty Python: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPELc1wEvk
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2017, 11:19:02 AM »
I enjoy star wars movies.
But the nerds quibbling over plot holes in a movie series about magic space ninjas...I can do without.

Read the walking dead thread....

Uranus is a gas giant.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2017, 12:51:57 AM »
One other thing I thought about was in most cases, ships that got severely damaged in star wars generally explode.  In this last movie at the end, they are torn up and just drifting.  That was required to allow the heroes to escape the ship, but it seemed to be a departure from past scenarios.

Disregarding "vaporized in a brief fireball" as a result of the SFX at the time, (note that even in ANH, TIEs and other ships that were the current camera focus often left some relatively large debris - primarily more or less independent chunks farthest from the impact point - while doing that for every fighter destroyed in the big space battles would have been a near impossible task) you'd also have to consider how they were damaged and where.  Look at Porkins' X-Wing for an example of one that exploded with large debris; I see the nose section and a few assorted metal panels, and while there's obviously not enough of an X-Wing to leave habitable debris, a capital ship similarly destroyed could still have some survivors aboard the wreck.  Y-Wings destroyed in the trench showed similarly large debris, while the one shot above the trench was presumably hit in a vital area (maybe the bomb rack) and became a sparkly cloud.
Auger in an A380 like the Executor hitting Death Star II, and you're going to have confetti-sized debris with no survivors.  Hit it with a nasty enough missile and you can do the same.  Shoot it apart with cannons and (assuming you don't light off the fuel) you might be able to do as little as break off a wing, the tail or tear the fuselage into two completely unflyable parts, with most of the occupants relatively unscathed.  (until they hit the ground, obviously)  Bear in mind that the "best" point of aim is generally the middle of smaller ships, and that's where engines, fuel and other splodey things tend to be, so if the weapons are fairly accurate, (and/or plentiful) "vaporized by their own reactor/fuel/whatever" is going to be a common outcome.  OTOH, TIEs hit on the wings or connecting pylons sometimes just broke there and went out of control.  For bigger ships, targeting things like that boosted the effective yield of your weapon.  At any rate, there were certainly other "hard kill" modes besides Trek-style anything-serious-breaches-the-warp-core-containment disintegration.
Rogue One had the two star destroyers collide in a pretty massively destructive manner, but they stayed otherwise almost completely intact long enough to fall onto and trash the planetary shield.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2017, 07:46:08 AM »
There were supposedly 400 Resistance members on the three ships in the stern-chase, all of whom collected onto the big cruiser as the smaller ships ran out of fuel and were destroyed by the Supremacy.  Snoke's ship, that is.  Firing those ridiculous curving turbolasers.  The Falcon ended up with a max of about two dozen, including Our Heroes.

Tactics were an issue here, and in ways that we've seen before.  Fighters SHOULD be attacking both each other and larger vessels - as we saw, they can keep up with any of the big cruisers, and apparently can do real damage to them.  Both surface-attack and anti-ship cannon apparently stick out beyond the shields, where they can be zapped, we've seen shield generators be destroyed by fighter attack, and in Rogue One, the Imperial fighters were apparently doing real damage to the Rebel capital ships.  Even WITHOUT missiles.  In Ep8, when the Resistance ships pulled away from the First Order fleet, the fighter wings of all those Star Destroyers should have scrambled and been harassing and trying to slow the Resistance ships.  HUNDREDS of TIES, many of them Special-Ops fighters capable of carrying missiles which could (apparently) penetrate the cruiser's shields to hit vital targets.  Wouldn't take long at all for the Resistance ships to lose enough engines to be slowed to the point where the First Order's Destroyers could catch them, and pound them to pieces.  The idea that the First Order (who see their military servicemembers as essentially replaceable cogs in their vast war machine) would consider it necessary to only operate the fighters under cover of the Destroyers' turbolasers is pretty ludicrous. 

That leaves aside the possibility of one or several Destroyers micro-jumping ahead of the Resistance ships, which they SHOULD have been able to do.  They had, what, a couple DOZEN "smaller" Destroyers accompanying the Supremacy?  Split off a half-dozen, a dozen, have them jump ahead (or, as fast as hyperdrives apparently are, have them jump away and double back on a just-barely-longer jump ending up ahead), and END the Resistance.

Fighter debris - yeah, most of the ships (small AND large) came apart in big chunks, generally.  Note that the bombers were mostly wiped out by flaming debris from other bombers in that chain reaction that left the single (mostly-)intact one for the final run on the dreadnought.  When the dreadnought went up, there were explosions throughout its structure, but it took a (relatively) long time to explode.  Again, lots of potential there to throw large chunks of mostly-intact debris that could contain closed compartments protecting people.  Plus, one would assume based on evidence from Ep8 and ANH, capital ships are generally fitted with escape pods.  The cloud-of-sparkly-bits looks cool as an effect for the movies, but realistically, it seems more likely that unless the payload or engines went up as a result of the hit, the ship would come apart in chunks.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2017, 09:11:30 AM »
The lack of debris seemed to be a common thing in the Star Wars movies.  I agree that in reality there should be a great deal.  Even if a ship was vaporized, there would be a huge expanding dust cloud.  That was one of the things I got to dislike about the death star destruction.  Cool explosion, but in reality, there would be huge chunks of debris raining down on the nearby planet for years.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2017, 03:45:24 AM »
The idea that the First Order (who see their military servicemembers as essentially replaceable cogs in their vast war machine) would consider it necessary to only operate the fighters under cover of the Destroyers' turbolasers is pretty ludicrous.

Possibly a simple logistics problem; they still need capital ships to transport the TIEs, so maybe they were trying to conserve what they had a bit more than usual to avoid re-tasking one of the destroyers to go ferry more TIEs.  (Plus, remember their military stockpiles had to be hidden for decades, so it may be partly an issue of having to go to the galactic equivalent of Gwinner ND and literally dig the next batch out of the glacier they were buried in.)

That leaves aside the possibility of one or several Destroyers micro-jumping ahead of the Resistance ships, which they SHOULD have been able to do.  They had, what, a couple DOZEN "smaller" Destroyers accompanying the Supremacy?  Split off a half-dozen, a dozen, have them jump ahead (or, as fast as hyperdrives apparently are, have them jump away and double back on a just-barely-longer jump ending up ahead), and END the Resistance.

Probably not that simple; even if you can track them beyond lightspeed, you wouldn't necessarily know where they're going to come out.  Try to jump past them, find out too late that they weren't stopping there, and...well, we saw what hyper-ramming does.

I'd guess "tracking through lightspeed" is really more of a matter of having developed some way to determine the initial vector with sufficient accuracy, (bearing in mind that hundredths of a degree matter a lot at interstellar distances) follow at the same speed or just a bit under (to avoid accidentally hyper-ramming them) and then detect the target's exit in time to stop your own ships.

The cloud-of-sparkly-bits looks cool as an effect for the movies, but realistically, it seems more likely that unless the payload or engines went up as a result of the hit, the ship would come apart in chunks.

I don't know that I've ever seen the sort of technical details of energy distribution for SW that ST has, but what if power conduits were particularly prone to actually going boom?  Imagine if every wire in an aircraft carrier was replaced with detcord, (even the data wires; after all, even ST had to develop highly volatile fiber optic systems to make sure bridge panels still have an excuse to explode) and then hit with something that touches the whole mess off at once; there would likely be some big chunks, but maybe not a lot.  And we don't know how much actual physical structural integrity any given ship has; it may be just enough to keep it from literally bursting at the seams the moment the shields fail.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2017, 07:59:50 AM »
The lack of debris seemed to be a common thing in the Star Wars movies.  I agree that in reality there should be a great deal.  Even if a ship was vaporized, there would be a huge expanding dust cloud.  That was one of the things I got to dislike about the death star destruction.  Cool explosion, but in reality, there would be huge chunks of debris raining down on the nearby planet for years.

For DS1, the Rebels abandoned the base on Yavin 4 immediately after blowing up the Death Star, so (to them) it really didn't matter.  DS2, well... Some of the books, especially Zahn's Thrawn trilogy (STILL the best Star Wars books ever written!), referenced the "Death Star tech" that could be found on Endor's surface.  Meaning that numerous large chunks of Death Star 2 impacted the surface and contained recoverable elements of the technologies contained therein.

I suspect the Ewoks... did not have a good week, month, year, once that celebration was over.  And the debris started deorbiting onto their heads.

The Destroyers chasing the Resistance ships each contained two wings of fighters.  A TIE wing, from earlier source materials detailing the Imperial Star Destroyers of the original trilogy, is 72 ships.  So each of the thirty Resurgent-class ships chasing the Resistance vessels had 144 TIE fighters.  Four THOUSAND TIEs.  Outside of what might have been carried on the Supremacy - which could itself dock EIGHT Resurgent-class ships (two in internal bays, six externally), so it likely had several wings of fighters on its own.  They should have been able to launch THOUSANDS of TIEs against those three Resistance ships, bringing them down in short order.

And for micro-jumping, I'm not even really saying to bring in ships right on top of the fleeing vessels - but jump, say, a dozen destroyers into an hemispherical pattern ahead of the fleeing ships.  Where are they going to go?  Especially if those englobement ships launch their TIE wings and put 1500 fighters into space, surrounding all avenues of escape ahead while the rest of the (still overwhelming) force continues to pursue from behind.  When you have overwhelming force, USE IT.  Yeah, needs of the story, stipulated.  In which case, the First Order shouldn't have HAD that overwhelming force available to it.  That was a major weakness in the story.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2017, 04:27:42 PM »
Let the past die... Kill it if you have to.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.