Author Topic: Lentil recipes?  (Read 3551 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Lentil recipes?
« on: December 28, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »
Due to a autoimmune issue I have I can't eat dishes that contain dried beans or beef.

I love bean dishes/soups so I'm trying to find some tasty alternatives. Haven't really eaten many lentils, I know it's a legume but it may not bother me.

So anyone got some good lentil recipes that make regularly? 
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Lentil recipes?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 09:06:44 PM »
I've never cooked much with lentils but I do have somewhere a recipe for a Moroccan lentil stew that is pretty good. Pretty heavily spiced so I don't know how that would work for you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:20:18 PM »
Just cook like beans, but you don't have to soak them.  Or you can use them like split peas.

I use them some, but not much; I like beans better.  So no recipes.  But they are not hard to cook.  Good luck.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 06:33:37 AM »
This is similar to the recipe I have: https://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/11/moroccan-lentil-vegetable-stew/

It's not quite as highly spiced, and mine calls for the addition of either chicken or lamb. You can omit the beans and increase the lentils.

It's very good with a dollop of either full fat yogurt or sour cream on top and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 06:45:13 AM »
So anyone got some good lentil recipes that make regularly?

Boil them up in chicken bouillon.  Drain and eat, or drain, mash and fry into patties.  I've had some cooked up like refried beans that were pretty good, although the color wasn't terribly appetizing.  It didn't seem to have the...uh...atmospheric effects of refried beans, but that may be because I only had two servings instead of the 4-6 I usually eat of well made beans.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 09:40:04 AM »
recipe modified
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 09:02:41 AM by Mannlicher »

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 09:43:52 AM »
recipe modified
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 09:03:03 AM by Mannlicher »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 09:59:17 AM »
I've never cooked much with lentils but I do have somewhere a recipe for a Moroccan lentil stew that is pretty good. Pretty heavily spiced so I don't know how that would work for you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bring on the spices!

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 10:26:58 AM »
bring on the spices!

Good for you. I know one person who has grumpy gut syndrome (not sure exactly what he has, but he's miserable with it) for whom just about any spice in any amount is farty, bloaty, crampy hell.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 10:36:46 AM »
Good for you. I know one person who has grumpy gut syndrome (not sure exactly what he has, but he's miserable with it) for whom just about any spice in any amount is farty, bloaty, crampy hell.

probably not the spices but the other ingredients, seems like a lot of spicy dishes are also high in fat, like butter.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 12:58:46 PM »
No, he's definitely narrowed it down. The spicier something is, even if it's skinless chicken breast, and he's got problems. Especially if it's got hot peppers.

Did a little googling and some of the things I was finding are that highly spiced foods, regardless of fat content, can trigger attacks for people suffering from IBS. So, I suspect that's what he's got.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 01:05:52 PM »
No, he's definitely narrowed it down. The spicier something is, even if it's skinless chicken breast, and he's got problems. Especially if it's got hot peppers.

Did a little googling and some of the things I was finding are that highly spiced foods, regardless of fat content, can trigger attacks for people suffering from IBS. So, I suspect that's what he's got.

That sucks, glad I don't have that. Bad enough its beef and beans for me. Well, and many of the artificial sweeteners.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 08:07:32 AM »

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 07:45:02 PM »
I go very basic with lentils.  Cook some bacon in a deep pan.  Pour off or keep whatever bacon grease you feel is appropriate.  Add water. Add lentils.  Boil until the lentils are tasty-soft.  

Eat it in either of 2 ways.  

1) Cook to a thinner, soupy thickness, put some in a bowl.  Add salt and pepper as desired.  Toss in a dollop of butter (as desired).

2) Cook to a thicker consistency.  Ladle it over bread on a plate a'la SOS.  Add salt, pepper, and butter.  Put the butter on top of the lentils sitting on the bread so that the butter melts and runs.

3) Cook to a medium consistency and do alternating servings of the above methods.  (I can eat some lentils!)

When finished, set the pot in the fridge overnight.  When reheated the next day, they will be even tastier!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.