Author Topic: Swatting Arrest  (Read 22111 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Swatting Arrest
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2017, 10:57:18 PM »
Cop should be charged with murder as well. They were over 100 feet away behind cover.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2017, 11:07:34 PM »
It's easy to use 20/20 hindsight and fault the cop.

Remember they only knew what dispatch had told them.   One person already killed, others hostages with a gun to their heads, gasoline poured all over the house.

It's not "Go Home at the end of my shift", it's "Prevent more loss of innocent life."   You arrive with the mind set that this situation is already a *expletive deleted*it show.  If you don't stop this guy, several more people will die.  Once he's killed someone the rules of engagement change from a hostage situation (where no one has been killed or hurt) to he's crossed that line, and that can't be undone.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2017, 11:34:32 PM »
They showed up and shot a man to death without first doing any kind of investigation into what was actually happening.

If the police just think there's some sort of exigent circumstances they can shoot whomever?

What if it was a hostage seeing his chance to escape? What if it was the pizza guy leaving after making his delivery? What if it was a kid? What if it was a mom holding a child and the shooter claimed that a helicopter was in danger?

This was, at best, gross incompetence.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2017, 11:59:38 PM »
They showed up and shot a man to death without first doing any kind of investigation into what was actually happening.

If the police just think there's some sort of exigent circumstances they can shoot whomever?

What if it was a hostage seeing his chance to escape? What if it was the pizza guy leaving after making his delivery? What if it was a kid? What if it was a mom holding a child and the shooter claimed that a helicopter was in danger?

Guy was told to keep his hands up...He didn't.

And this group would be howling for their heads if they showed up and bad guy shoots all the other family members and torches the house.  Show of hands.  How many of you had to respond to a (potential) *expletive deleted*it show, with little (or in this case bad) info, and had to make things right with no one getting hurt.   Until you've been there, STFU.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2017, 12:31:37 AM »

Why does he have to? Some guy yells at you from across the street and you have to obey? Or you die? No. Cops get way to much leeway here. Again the cops did not investigate. They did not know who was in the house they essentially shot a random person for the "crime" of not being fully aware of the situation.

And the whole "he was reaching for his waistband" thing is total BS. That's where your hands naturally go. It's an easy excuse to use to shoot somebody.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2017, 12:49:27 AM »
. . . It's not "Go Home at the end of my shift", it's "Prevent more loss of innocent life."   
And yet the only innocent life lost is the one the police took.

I'm starting to think an appropriate punishment would make the "prankster" AND the cop who ACTUALLY KILLED AN INNOCENT MAN cellmates for a number of years . . . 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2017, 01:05:27 AM »
I want to see the swatter's face livestreamed over the internet as he's informed that he's being charged with capital murder via felony murder rules, and that the death penalty is a possibility. 

Not that I actually support him being charged that way, I just want to see his reaction.

You know, like on the faces of the innocent people he previously did this to.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2017, 01:09:56 AM »

And this group would be howling for their heads if they showed up and bad guy shoots all the other family members and torches the house.  Show of hands.  How many of you had to respond to a (potential) *expletive deleted*it show, with little (or in this case bad) info, and had to make things right with no one getting hurt.   Until you've been there, STFU.
I am not a police officer nor have I ever been, but had I pulled the trigger on someone under those circumstances (as a non-LEO), I would be in prison.

I also have a problem with this idea that cops should automatically believe whatever is told them on a 911 call and just go in guns blazing.  This is a great example of why they shouldn't do that.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:37:39 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2017, 01:35:44 AM »
Thinking about this I keep imagining I am in the position where a bunch of police just rolled up to my house after being told some horrible crime was in progress.  I am trying to come up with a scenario where I wouldn't get shot.  The first thing I can think of is don't go outside the house and call 911.  If I am already in the spotlights it seems my options are limited.  If I move they might shoot me.  If I don't move they might shoot me.  It shouldn't be that way.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2017, 02:48:01 AM »
Why does he have to? Some guy yells at you from across the street and you have to obey? Or you die? No. Cops get way to much leeway here. Again the cops did not investigate. They did not know who was in the house they essentially shot a random person for the "crime" of not being fully aware of the situation.

And the whole "he was reaching for his waistband" thing is total BS. That's where your hands naturally go. It's an easy excuse to use to shoot somebody.

Yes, it's easy to Monday morning QB this.

Investigate how ??  All you know is one person shot and killed, others being held at gunpoint, and the house is drenched in Gasoline.  How do you "investigate" without potentially getting "hostages" killed or burned to death ??

The cops are in a no-win situation (which is often the case).   I know Cordex frequently participates in police exercises.  I'd like his perspective, then IU give you my experience on the wrong end of that scenario. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2017, 04:37:02 AM »
What exactly? Just making up an address isn't a crime. He had no duty not to lie to the person demanding the address.

Unless it can be proved he knew he was giving out an address that would get someone targeted he hasn't ethically done anything wrong. Of course ethics and what's actually in the penal code can vary.

Sure he was an idiot for getting into this beef in the first place but it's a reach to say he committed a criminal act.  
The guy who is arrested was known for SWATing people previously, and if the guy who was the intended SWATee knew this, then yes, he is partially responsible for the outcome, especially since he did not simple give him "123 Nosuch Street, Whoville", but instead gave a legit adress to the guy.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2017, 09:26:40 AM »
Cop should be charged with murder as well. They were over 100 feet away behind cover.

The cop with the body cam was, yes, but the cover officers were close to the house.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »

How long were the police on scene before the guy came out of the house?  Do you know the exact timeline?

Did the man come out voluntarily or was he told/requested to come out by the police?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2017, 09:41:02 AM »
Going back to the swatter, I'm curious as to what our legal beagles with experience on the criminal justice side think the charges will be, or could be?

I'm part of the APS western justice "hang 'em high" contingent for crap like this, but if wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak. :)

Is it actually possible to stick a murder rap of some degree on the guy? Again, emotionally I would like to see one. In reality it seems maybe manslaughter is a reasonable charge? If it's something like criminal mischief, I'll certainly get riled up.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2017, 09:43:32 AM »

He didn't? Granted, it's not the best video in the world, but I watched it multiple times. I didn't see his hands go below shoulder level. I certainly didn't see any "furtive movement" toward his waist. That's just a cover story for the cops. Unfortunately, given the poor quality of the video, it's going to be hard to prove what the officer who fired the shot saw -- or thought he saw. I'm satisfied that the thin blue line has already tightened up the ranks to (once again) protect one of their own who screwed the pooch.

IMHO the cop was trigger happy ... in extremis.

Meanwhile, the guy who allegedly made the call looks like a real model citizen:
https://www.click2houston.com/news/national/swatting-case-poses-legal-challenges-for-police-prosecutors
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2017, 09:47:13 AM »
Why does he have to?

Putting his hands up and listening to the commands is what a reasonable person would do.

Yes, hands naturally go to the waistband.  That is also where people put guns.  1 + 1 = 2.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2017, 09:58:15 AM »
Yes, it's easy to Monday morning QB this.

Investigate how ??  All you know is one person shot and killed, others being held at gunpoint, and the house is drenched in Gasoline.  How do you "investigate" without potentially getting "hostages" killed or burned to death ??

Correction -- you don't "know" any of this. You only know that this is what someone has told your dispatch center. You can't ignore it -- that's why you're there. But you also can't automatically assume that it's true without at least some indications to support the veracity of what the caller told dispatch. It's like the "man with a gun" calls when a libtard sees a licensed gun owner carrying in a Walmart and calls the cops. Instead of immediately calling out the SWAT team, the dispatcher should be doing some preliminary investigation by asking pointed questions. And if there was anything that actually looked like a threat, the entire team would have lit him up.

But there was only ONE shot.

Here, of course, the nature of the call was different. But the result was that an innocent man was killed, and his family was left without their husband/son/father, even though there was NO indication that a police officer or anyone else was in any immediate danger. The guy was standing in the open front door. His hands were empty. Even if there were hostages within the house, and even if the house was dosed with gasoline -- where was the IMMEDIATE danger that warranted shooting him?

I'm going to make another scientific wild-ass guess: I don't think the cop intended to shoot him. I think the cop had his finger on the trigger when it shouldn't have been, and that the one shot that was fired was a mistake. How many cops were there -- all with guns drawn and trained on that doorway? Yet there was only ONE shot. Cops these days are trained to shoot "until the threat is neutralized," which typically means until slide lock. I think if this cop had fired intentionally, there would have been at least three shots, not one. That's if he was using a rifle. If it was a handgun, he would have emptied the magazine.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2017, 01:33:34 PM »
Given what is possible today, I do not think cops have the right to show up on site assuming what was reported is true without seeing proof.  This is no better than the cases we have discussed of SWAT teams breaking down doors for the same reason.

We had an attempt here a few months ago.  There happened to be a deputy less than a mile from the address, so he rolled in dark and quiet, just out of sight of the house and walked in for a look while waiting for backup.  Looked in a window and saw a couple sitting on the couch, watching TV and drinking coffee.  Had dispatch verify the address, then called off his backup had them call the cell company for the caller's phone while he was still on the line.  Total non-event locally, though I understand there was a lot of excitement for LE in the town the phone was traced to; apparently the caller got exactly the response he was trying for, but at his own house.

Amazing what doesn't happen when you do a little old fashioned information gathering rather than grabbing every opportunity to bust out the tacticool toys.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2017, 01:55:22 PM »
The cops are in a no-win situation (which is often the case).   I know Cordex frequently participates in police exercises.  I'd like his perspective, then IU give you my experience on the wrong end of that scenario. 
I'm not sure I can really contribute anything to judging what went on in the video since when I watched it I couldn't see beans.  Thus I've got no firm opinion on whether or not in this case it was a justified shoot on the part of the cop.  If anyone watched that video and came up with a sure and certain verdict (as a number of us apparently have) then they've apparently got much better eyes than I have to say nothing of their TV-show worthy video processing software.  Regardless of whether or not it was justified, it absolutely sucks that an innocent man was killed because of some petty argument between some man-children.

This scenario is a particularly sucky one because the appropriate response to the situation as described is absolutely wrong for the situation that actually existed and vice versa.  In this case, that disparity does not appear to be the fault of the cops.

As far as speculation ...
Why does he have to? Some guy yells at you from across the street and you have to obey? Or you die? No.
If you're being held at gunpoint by multiple police as a suspect in an active shooter call, yes.  Yes you do.  Or you die.  You freeze in position with your hands as high above your head as they can go and you do absolutely nothing else except slowly and deliberately in response to direct orders.  And, as we've seen in other incidents, you still might die because it is always dangerous to have guns pointed at you. 

Being held at gunpoint is the absolute wrong time to put on your "YOU AIN'T THE BOSS OF ME" pants.  When you're a sneeze or startle-reflex from dying it's probably best to think very carefully about every movement.  If you want to survive the event so you can hire an attorney to sue the city for all they're worth then you shouldn't get petulant and defiant.

Again the cops did not investigate. They did not know who was in the house they essentially shot a random person for the "crime" of not being fully aware of the situation.
Don't be ridiculous.  The report was for a murder and active shooting event.  I'd love to hear your educated opinion on how the police should be expected to conduct an in-depth investigation before the scene has been secured.

I am not a police officer nor have I ever been, but had I pulled the trigger on someone under those circumstances (as a non-LEO), I would be in prison.
Without commenting on the specific circumstances shown in the dark, grainy, and low-resolution footage we've got in this case, non-LEOs who have killed an innocent person while justifiably in fear for their lives often go free too.

Correction -- you don't "know" any of this. You only know that this is what someone has told your dispatch center. You can't ignore it -- that's why you're there. But you also can't automatically assume that it's true without at least some indications to support the veracity of what the caller told dispatch. It's like the "man with a gun" calls when a libtard sees a licensed gun owner carrying in a Walmart and calls the cops. Instead of immediately calling out the SWAT team, the dispatcher should be doing some preliminary investigation by asking pointed questions.
1. In a case of a reported murder, intended arson, and active shooter, you want the dispatcher to react incredulously and delay the response?  Huh.  Tell me more about your (obviously) well-informed theories on emergency response.
2. I don't know how it works everywhere, but in our neck of the woods the dispatchers don't have a lot of freedom when it comes to call triage (likely for liability reasons).  As I understand it, the way it works is there is a call taker who exclusively communicates with the caller.  Their conversation is monitored by a dispatcher who then actually gets on the radio and communicates the situation to police and can ask the call taker to request additional information.  Often by the time the call is dispatched the caller is no longer even on the phone and if additional details are needed they have to call back.  If someone reports something that is not actually illegal the cop can radio back that no crime has been reported, but if someone demands a police response the cops are essentially required to respond.  Even if it is "that guy" or "that gal" who always calls in worthless crap.  As an example, there was a road rage incident locally where during the interaction one party got out of his car and lifted his shirt to expose a gun.  Then got back in his car and drove away.  In our state if it ends there then nothing illegal has taken place, so in response to the call the cops radioed back to dispatch and said as much.  The reporting party demanded that they respond anyway so they did but there was nothing to act on.
3. Of course the police don't "know" anything when they responded.  Before they can investigate they have to secure the scene.  When the scene in question is reported to involve someone who has actually killed and threatened further murders they're going to rightfully handle it differently than a report of aggravated jaywalking or litter with intent.  Once the scene has been secured, then they can start sorting out the truth.

And if there was anything that actually looked like a threat, the entire team would have lit him up.

But there was only ONE shot.
So your insight is that a single shot proves even harder (since you'd already convicted the cop in your mind) that these were trigger-happy cops?  Sure, a single shot may have been negligent but it also shows significant training and restraint on behalf of their team.

Let's put you in a scenario holding someone at gunpoint.  You're standing near a friend that you trust with your life who also has a gun on the bad guy.  If your buddy start shooting do you just stand there because you can't see exactly why they're shooting, or do you join in?  I'd probably trust that they saw something that I didn't see and join in.  It's called sympathetic fire and it is extremely common in police and (so I've heard) military shootings.  That in this case it didn't go further than one shot tells me that at least the rest of the team was not allowing themselves to succumb to shooting based on startle reflex or sympathetic fire.

What's funny is that if the whole team had blasted the guy into the dirt, I'm guessing you would have lambasted them for that too.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2017, 02:33:18 PM »
What exactly? Just making up an address isn't a crime. He had no duty not to lie to the person demanding the address.

Unless it can be proved he knew he was giving out an address that would get someone targeted he hasn't ethically done anything wrong. Of course ethics and what's actually in the penal code can vary.

Sure he was an idiot for getting into this beef in the first place but it's a reach to say he committed a criminal act.  

I presume you are being satirical. Otherwise I'm seriously concerned with your grasp of right and wrong.

The guy made a phone call he knew would result in an armed response. He escalated the situation by claiming to no only be armed, but also having had already shot one person. It matters not one whit what address was given.

A) The actions were intentional, considered, and knowingly malicious. B) The actions were directed at a specific individual. C) The actions directly resulted in the death of an innocent person. The textbook definition of First Degree Murder is "...homicide that is willful, premeditated, and with malice and aforethought." The actions in this case meet all those criteria.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2017, 02:50:42 PM »
I presume you are being satirical. Otherwise I'm seriously concerned with your grasp of right and wrong.

The guy made a phone call he knew would result in an armed response. He escalated the situation by claiming to no only be armed, but also having had already shot one person. It matters not one whit what address was given.

A) The actions were intentional, considered, and knowingly malicious. B) The actions were directed at a specific individual. C) The actions directly resulted in the death of an innocent person. The textbook definition of First Degree Murder is "...homicide that is willful, premeditated, and with malice and aforethought." The actions in this case meet all those criteria.
In Warren's defense, I think he's referring to the intended victim of the SWATting, not the caller.  No one here is denying that the caller did something wrong here.

Gamer A got angry at Gamer B and told Gamer B to give him an address.  Gamer B gave him a false address.  Gamer A reported a murder, etc. at that address.

Viking said Gamer B had some culpability.  Warren is saying he's not sure Gamer B did anything wrong.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2017, 02:56:17 PM »
In Warren's defense, I think he's referring to the intended victim of the SWATting, not the caller.  No one here is denying that the caller did something wrong here.

Gamer A got angry at Gamer B and told Gamer B to give him an address.  Gamer B gave him a false address.  Gamer A reported a murder, etc. at that address.

Viking said Gamer B had some culpability.  Warren is saying he's not sure Gamer B did anything wrong.

In that case I agree. Gamer B has no culpability. Giving a false address in this case is no different than someone giving out a fake phone number to get a drunk out of their hair at a bar. All culpability rests on Gamer A's shoulders.

And to Warren, an apology for jumping to conclusions.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2017, 03:55:06 PM »
Everone's being kinda cautious about it, but it looks like the call might have come from Tyler Barriss, 25. He was arrested Friday in Los Angeles in connection with the Wichita incident.

Terry
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 05:05:29 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2017, 05:17:48 PM »
Did he know they were cops?

Did he understand what was said?

Did he even hear what was said?

He was thrust into a situation not of his making and because he did not behave exactly as the cop wanted he died. That is a ridiculous, unfair, and unjust standard to apply to people. Especially in an allegedly free country.

And I didn't say in-depth investigation. Just a cursory check, maybe peeking through the windows,  maybe quietly asking the neighbors if they heard anything, maybe a phone call. But not just immediately shooting whatever person that happens to appear in the doorway.

And maybe just maybe since cops have known about swatting for awhile now they can be just a little skeptical about some calls?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2017, 05:23:33 PM »
And I didn't say in-depth investigation. Just a cursory check, maybe peeking through the windows,  maybe quietly asking the neighbors if they heard anything, maybe a phone call.

Exactly; dense residential and nobody reported a gunshot?  Nothing visible at all?  Maybe shut down the disco lights a couple blocks out and make a bit more subtle approach to see what's really going on.

Hell, the 911 call, if anything, screams ambush.  Anybody that planned one out like that may have mined the obvious cover, and/or just be somewhere else in a good sniping position.