Author Topic: Are you kidding me?  (Read 5327 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Are you kidding me?
« on: January 02, 2018, 11:30:41 AM »
Jesus wept...

I brought homemade chicken soup from home  today. I missed getting a bay leaf out and almost ate it. I mentioned it to my late 20s something office mate.

She has no clue what bay leafs are.

I'm gobsmacked.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Are you kidding me?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 12:46:22 PM »
Jesus wept...

I brought homemade chicken soup from home  today. I missed getting a bay leaf out and almost ate it. I mentioned it to my late 20s something office mate.

She has no clue what bay leafs are.

I'm gobsmacked.

Seems like everything had a bay leaf in it in the 1970s-1980s.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 12:54:52 PM »
Bay leaf is what I would consider one of the core herbs/spices...

Pepper, oregano, basil, cinnamon, paprika, nutmeg, thyme...

and bay leaves.

It's not a flipping black cardamom, fenugreek, or garam masala...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 01:03:41 PM »
Dad, and now I, buy Bayleaf by the large container*, not the standard sized bottle.   And just about every meal has one has the mix.  It imparts into meat(s) that help bring out the flavours.

My mother used to freak out if she couldn't find all the ones that Dad put in.  Dad was never really precise on counting them, and she would be all worried that we were going to be poisoned if we didn't find every last one.  Dad wasn't worried as they were all full leafs and said we'd find them while eating.  

*-
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:00:20 PM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 01:10:02 PM »
she would be all worried that we were going to be poisoned if we did find every last one. 

While I know what a bay leaf is in terms of cooking, I had no idea what plant they came from, so this thread prompted me to consult the googles.  One thing I learned is that the common misconception about bay leaf being poisonous if eaten is due to their physical similarities to actual poisonous plants such as Mountain Laurel.  There are, however, physical risks to eating bay leafs such as digestive system damage from the stiff leaf.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 01:12:02 PM »
There are, however, physical risks to eating bay leafs such as digestive system damage from the stiff leaf.

Chris

That is what Mom and Dad said growing up, don't eat the bay leaf because you'll poop blood.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
"There are, however, physical risks to eating bay leafs such as digestive system damage from the stiff leaf."

Yes, there are. I've heard of people having rectal cuts requiring medical attention from passing an eaten bay leaf.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 02:39:43 PM »
*shrug* I didn't know what the hell it was until a few years ago when I really started doing more cooking.

I do have to explain to Dad what it is every time I use them in something though, since I never find them in the pot, and I have to tell him not to eat them. For some reason he seems to think finding the leaf is some sort of prize.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 05:33:11 PM »
Whiz the bay leaves to a powder in an electric coffee grinder.  This works really well with the cheap ones you get in a big cello bag at the Middle Eastern grocery that have good flavor and aroma but most of them are broken.  Put it in an old spice bottle with a shaker top (not an Old Spice bottle  ;/ )  

Add the bayleaf powder near the end of cooking; you can even add it at the table.
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 06:42:43 PM »
Whiz the bay leaves to a powder in an electric coffee grinder.  This works really well with the cheap ones you get in a big cello bag at the Middle Eastern grocery that have good flavor and aroma but most of them are broken.

Or just stuff them in a bottle of cheap vodka (good) or Everclear (better) and work out the dosage by trial and error.  Ground dried spices lose potency over time, whereas alcohol extractions tend to get stronger.