Author Topic: Seattle beverage tax  (Read 3754 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Seattle beverage tax
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 11:26:26 AM »
So should we call Seattle the Philadelphia of the north west or Philadelphia the Seattle of the north east?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 12:01:47 PM »
Ohio has done that on occasions.  Since we live in Cincinnati, it is really easy to run down to Kentucky to The Party Source and pickup up your beverage of choice with out having to go to a state store.

Was it you who mentioned telling an Ohio revenue agent out of his jurisdiction that you had all day to drive around Kentucky before going home?

Pennsylvania used to do that on 11/15 south of Gettysburg (State Line liquor store is just south of the border), but they were doing it to enforce state underage laws. Drinking age in Maryland at the time was 18, and in Pennsylvania 21.

You'd hear stories about someone going across the line to the store and buying soda and snacks just to get a feel for where the cops were.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 12:02:10 PM »
Yup. Utah would prosecute if they caught you coming back in with beer from out of state (%3.2 beer state). 

I hear of this being done locally from time to time: the State Patrol stops cars that were observed shopping at the tribal liquor/smoke shops and seizes alcohol and tobacco purchased there. I think the premise is that the tribal shops don't charge (State? Federal? Both?) taxes on the products.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 01:03:09 PM »
Was it you who mentioned telling an Ohio revenue agent out of his jurisdiction that you had all day to drive around Kentucky before going home?

Pennsylvania used to do that on 11/15 south of Gettysburg (State Line liquor store is just south of the border), but they were doing it to enforce state underage laws. Drinking age in Maryland at the time was 18, and in Pennsylvania 21.

You'd hear stories about someone going across the line to the store and buying soda and snacks just to get a feel for where the cops were.

The closer to 4 July it gets the more Illinois Troopers just sit in the parking lots of the Fireworks stores just over the border in Indiana, radioing Illinois Licence plate numbers (along with make and model) to other troopers in Illinois to pull over. 

Which is why I always buy my fireworks on my way TO Indianapolis, and never on the way home.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 01:05:43 PM »

Not I, but as I work in Kentucky I could go sit in my office all day and not waste the gas.  I would then just come across the Anderson Ferry as most people don't even think about that route.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2018, 04:05:09 PM »
Used to have a guy here that would toy with the city cops on the possession of fireworks inside city limits ordinance; he ran a fireworks stand just outside of town, and also had a huge farm.  He'd wait until the cops were watching for people buying fireworks and heading back into town, then call up his buddies to come get some discount produce.  Cops see a car drive up, and people loading 4-6 big paper sacks into the car, then it heads into the city limits.  They pull it over and find absolutely nothing but vegetables.

He did have one of his friends come out in a marked sheriff's department car, but the locals didn't have the guts to pull it over.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2018, 07:11:38 PM »
The closer to 4 July it gets the more Illinois Troopers just sit in the parking lots of the Fireworks stores just over the border in Indiana, radioing Illinois Licence plate numbers (along with make and model) to other troopers in Illinois to pull over. 

Which is why I always buy my fireworks on my way TO Indianapolis, and never on the way home.
MN troopers did that to WI fireworks stands - when they refused to leave the (privately owned) parking lots, the WI stands called the WI cops on them. Much hilarity ensued.

Another time, the WI store's employees all got in their cars and blocked in the MN trooper's car. When told to move by the MN trooper, they replied that the MN trooper COULD NOT tell them what to do in WI. MN trooper called the WI cops, who told them that if he wanted to leave, he should ask the WI store's employees - NICELY! - if they would PLEASE allow them to depart.

More hilarity ensued.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 08:22:50 PM »
Here's a random thought, maybe this is a way that the Trump administration is trying to force the issue through Congress. Take pot off of the Schedule 1 list and treat it like alcohol. Could it be he (Trump) expects Congress to address issues they have been sidestepping for years?

Possibly, but an awful lot of congresscritters from pro-pot states are amazingly anti-pot.  All three of Alaska's congresspeople are anti-pot, for example.  I've read that it's similar for most states, and there's not enough pro-pot reps from non-legalized states to make it such that a federal legalization or even lowering of criminalization can happen.