Author Topic: Cold like this...  (Read 4093 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Cold like this...
« on: January 05, 2018, 06:44:22 AM »
demands chili.

I'm leaving work early to make a pot of chili for dinner tonight.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Cold like this...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 08:17:08 AM »
We got some great chili out of our Instant Pot the other night.  It tasted like it simmered all day, but only took an hour from start to finish.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:25:30 AM »
Nice.

I've been looking at those instapots, but I already have a pressure cooker. Yeah, I know the instapot is more versatile and doesn't require as much tending, but it would be another piece of kit that I'd need to find storage for.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 08:38:12 AM »
If you already have a pressure cooker, don't bother.  Yes, you'll have to manage it manually, but the IP doesn't do much you can't do in a traditional pressure cooker.  IMO, the IP is more suited to the pressure cooker novice. 

We got one because I mistakenly thought it was "smarter" and we didn't already have a pressure cooker.  I thought maybe you could program in multiple steps (sautee, then PC, then warm for example).  Turns out, it's nothing more than an electric PC with a timer.  Yes, it'll transition to "warm" automatically, but all other steps are manual and require your intervention.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:01:08 AM »
"We got one because I mistakenly thought it was "smarter"

So... you were... dumber? :rofl:

Actually, I'm glad you said that, because looking at the various write ups on them over the last year or so, and the advertising at Amazon, that's exactly what I thought, as well.

So, I can effectively check the instant pot off my list of items to consider. And, I need to remember to order new seals for my pressure cooker.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 10:20:45 AM »
Nice.

I've been looking at those instapots, but I already have a pressure cooker. Yeah, I know the instapot is more versatile and doesn't require as much tending, but it would be another piece of kit that I'd need to find storage for.

Same here, I got a pressure cooker and a couple crock pots.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 04:24:26 PM »
Well, I have learned something useful from this thread: having not researched it, I thought the IP was a smarter device.  I already have a stovetop pressure cooker.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 05:42:30 PM »
A buddy is bringing me a whole, already processed and wrapped, deer! Deer chili IS in our future!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 09:36:11 AM »
"We got one because I mistakenly thought it was "smarter"

So... you were... dumber? :rofl:

Actually, I'm glad you said that, because looking at the various write ups on them over the last year or so, and the advertising at Amazon, that's exactly what I thought, as well.

So, I can effectively check the instant pot off my list of items to consider. And, I need to remember to order new seals for my pressure cooker.

What about this one?
Instant Pot Smart Bluetooth 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Sauté, Steamer, and Warmer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N310CKG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.3nuAbDX1GH7H

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 10:28:01 AM »
For $350 it had damned well better change the oil in my car, too.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 03:12:14 PM »
I long ago posted one recipe somewhere around here in my eternal quest for the perfect chili. It started with bacon so you know it's a good one.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 04:00:51 PM »
*sigh* I had the urge when I was at the grocery store to do something hot and easy in the crockpot for this weekend, but I forced myself to refrain.
With the pipes being frozen, I'm trying to do minimal cooking since washing dishes is such a hassle when you don't have running water.  =(

Instead, I'm stuck with stupid frozen dinners until the world thaws again.  :mad:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 06:09:58 PM »
Found the old chili thread
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=53644.0

BLue, sorry about your frozen water pipes. I've been there and it sucks.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 09:21:43 AM »
Pipes from the well?

Any chance of wrapping them in heat tape to keep this from happening?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 02:58:43 PM »
Pipes from the well?

Any chance of wrapping them in heat tape to keep this from happening?

The pipe from the well comes up at the middle of the trailer. That has heat tape and generally keeps everything going. It's not unusual for us to loose various fixtures as the water gets further away from the main point of entry if it's really cold, which is pretty much just my bathroom and not a big deal. I keep jugs of water to refill my toilet tank on hand anyway for when we lose power and it generally only last for a day or so. Dad's bathroom is closer to the main line and doesn't freeze over as much and the kitchen sink we almost never lose since it's right in the middle.

The last time we lost water through the whole trailer, it was because Dad forgot to plug in the heat wrap and we had a cold snap. This is the first time we've lost the whole trailer with the heat wrap and the longest. We've been frozen since last Sunday.
Which is as annoying as all get out, but not the end of the world.

The thing that *REALLY* blows is that (and this has never happened before) is that the pipe going out of my toilet is frozen. Or, at least, it better just be frozen, because the last thing I want to do is be going under the trailer with the pipe snake.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds