Author Topic: No Gander Mountains coming to the West Coast  (Read 1457 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
No Gander Mountains coming to the West Coast
« on: January 12, 2018, 11:12:14 AM »
http://www.guns.com/2018/01/05/gander-outdoors-announces-69-store-openings-for-2018/

What with all the mergers and restructurings, I was interested to see if Gander would make it's way to the Pacific NW.  Apparently not.  Lots of new stores in the Midwest, though.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: No Gander Mountains coming to the West Coast
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:17:29 AM »
I'm not surprised there's one (re)opening here. Camping World is right across the street from it and I've seen emails to local colleges looking for applications.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 11:28:42 AM »
I was hoping that they'd re-open the one in Geneva, IL simply because it was close and the way to ASC.

I'm really surprised that they didn't reopen in Greenwood, IN.  That place was always busy everytime I went there.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 11:31:16 AM »
Will they still be the overpriced (sometimes above MSRP) store for guns & ammo that they were before?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 12:25:25 PM »
Will they still be the overpriced (sometimes above MSRP) store for guns & ammo that they were before?

^^^ This.

Why would anyone be disappointed that Gander Mountain has decided not to try to rip off your community?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 12:28:30 PM »

I was always underwhelmed when I visited a Gander Mountain. Seems like it was a half assed outdoor store.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 12:58:23 PM »
http://www.guns.com/2018/01/05/gander-outdoors-announces-69-store-openings-for-2018/

What with all the mergers and restructurings, I was interested to see if Gander would make it's way to the Pacific NW.  Apparently not.  Lots of new stores in the Midwest, though.

You won't be missing much.  Soulless mall ambiance, super high prices.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 01:11:17 PM »
What a difference a few decades makes. I fondly remember the old Gander Mountain catalog of the 70s. As a kid, I drooled over all the cool stuff in the catalog - some of which was impossible to get locally, and some of which cost significantly more locally.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 01:16:47 PM »
Gander was always terrible for new guns & ammo prices. Some of their sales on camping gear & clothing were OK and I did find some good deals on used guns, although mostly from their gunbroker listings. Anyway, now that I have a Cabela's nearby I wouldn't even think about going to a Gander Mountain.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 02:02:37 PM »

You won't be missing much.  Soulless mall ambiance, super high prices.

That is interesting to know, and thank you.  We only have Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse in this area, although there is a Bass Pro Shop 90 miles south of me.  I am always interested to see if any other big box hunting/fishing/outdoor stores are opening up around here.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 02:15:06 PM »
^^^ This.

Why would anyone be disappointed that Gander Mountain has decided not to try to rip off your community?

Well, I can go to the Cabela's in Cook County and pay the tax of: $0.02 per round of ammunition that is .22 caliber or less and $0.05 per round for all other larger calibers.   That certainly makes things a bargain.

The other LGS's near me were more expensive (if they had it) when it came to ammo/reloading supply prices then GM.   And GM was generally cheaper when it came to firearm prices.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 11:15:10 PM »
Their house brand clothes were awesome,  and well priced.  Guide Series button down shirts FTW.  Kinda bummed ours closed,  even if gun stuff was ludicrously priced.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 09:34:58 AM »
What a difference a few decades makes. I fondly remember the old Gander Mountain catalog of the 70s. As a kid, I drooled over all the cool stuff in the catalog - some of which was impossible to get locally, and some of which cost significantly more locally.

AMEN to that - circa 1970, my Dad and I bought our first reloading gear from Gander when they were strictly a mail-order business out of Wilmot, WI, just north of the Illinois border. When they began over-the-counter sales of reloading components, we took a couple of rides up there (from Chicago) because the prices were THAT good - it made the trip worthwhile.

Place sure did change once they began opening retail stores all over . . . and not for the better.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 09:50:21 AM »
Price issues aside, we, as a community, are better off with more stores like Gander Mountain (ie big box outdoors) than without.  It helps normalize gun owners, hunters, and other non-ball-sport outdoors enthusiasts.  Cabelas, BPS, Sportsman's Warehouse, Gander Mtn, etc are all very visible reminders that we exist and are a market force. 

Their prices and selection weren't 100% bad in my experience.  I've found good deals there but you have to know what you're shopping for.  If you go in ignorant, you may end up paying too much.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 10:20:25 AM »

Their prices and selection weren't 100% bad in my experience.  I've found good deals there but you have to know what you're shopping for.  If you go in ignorant, you may end up paying too much.

Chris

Heck, you can say that about Cabela's these days. I have often found sale prices on ammo way cheaper than Ammo Man. On the other hand, their clothes aren't what they used to be, and you can pay $60 for a crappy shirt* if it's the "guide" line (though some of the "guide" stuff is a good deal on quality).

* I have found fishing shirts, often Wrangler brand, at Walmart for $10 that were every bit as good as Cabela's fishing shirts. They both end up being manufactured in the Third World, so I've been buying those shirts at Walmart.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 11:47:51 AM »
The link says they are opening a store in Spring, TX which is essentially North Houston.  However, their store on the North side of Houston is one that closed down in the last several years.  Unless they change something, I don't see why it would succeed this time. 

The Cabela's in League City, TX (Southeast of Houston) is very nice and has good selection and prices for a big box store.  Better than Bass Pro Shop for gun stuff.  It is the only big box store in this area that carries used guns as far as I know. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 02:49:45 PM »
Heck, you can say that about Cabela's these days. I have often found sale prices on ammo way cheaper than Ammo Man. On the other hand, their clothes aren't what they used to be, and you can pay $60 for a crappy shirt* if it's the "guide" line (though some of the "guide" stuff is a good deal on quality).

* I have found fishing shirts, often Wrangler brand, at Walmart for $10 that were every bit as good as Cabela's fishing shirts. They both end up being manufactured in the Third World, so I've been buying those shirts at Walmart.

Yup.  You gotta know what to buy and when.  That said, I have some very functional clothing clothing from Cabelas I haven't seen elsewhere. 

Outfitter Berber Fleece Series Pants with 4MOST WINDSHEAR and Cabela's Men's Over/Under Fatigue Sweater with 4MOST WINDSHEAR were both purchased on sale with a discount code for great prices.  I haven't seen less expensive analogues elsewhere.  Those two items were key in my ability to sit comfortably on my treestand last weekend when the early morning temps were in the low single digits (with windchill from the light breeze below zero).

Chris

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 03:18:01 PM »
Price issues aside, we, as a community, are better off with more stores like Gander Mountain (ie big box outdoors) than without.  It helps normalize gun owners, hunters, and other non-ball-sport outdoors enthusiasts.  Cabelas, BPS, Sportsman's Warehouse, Gander Mtn, etc are all very visible reminders that we exist and are a market force. 

Chris

This.  I bought Robert's S&W M&P 15-22 at Gander Mountain as they had the model I wanted cheaper then anyone else.  (at the time)  I've also bought tons of reloading supplies (both shotgun and metallic) because they had what I wanted when I needed it and at prices that matched or beat ordering on-line+shipping charges.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 03:56:33 PM »
That is interesting to know, and thank you.  We only have Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse in this area, although there is a Bass Pro Shop 90 miles south of me.  I am always interested to see if any other big box hunting/fishing/outdoor stores are opening up around here.

There's also a Dick's up here in Burlington. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 05:06:49 PM »
The link says they are opening a store in Spring, TX which is essentially North Houston.  However, their store on the North side of Houston is one that closed down in the last several years.  Unless they change something, I don't see why it would succeed this time. 

Sportsman's Warehouse did the same thing here. About 8 years ago, the built a ginormous new one. It closed after a year, even though there were always plenty of cars in the lot.

They just finished building another one here a couple of weeks before Christmas. We have a Dick's now that we didn't have when the first one went up. The new SW is only a couple of blocks from Dick's. The old one was a few miles from it (but in a popular shopping area).

I know they pay people big bucks to figure this kiond of stuff out, but layman me doesn't get the logic.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 05:21:46 PM »
Sportsman's Warehouse did the same thing here. About 8 years ago, the built a ginormous new one. It closed after a year, even though there were always plenty of cars in the lot.

Sportsman's Warehouse closed a store in SW VA, then returned to the same building a few years later.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 11:30:28 AM »
As mentioned above, their Guide Series clothing is high quality stuff, the rest? Meh...
I really wish we could have Sportsman's Warehouse back.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 12:26:26 PM »
As mentioned above, their Guide Series clothing is high quality stuff, the rest? Meh...
I really wish we could have Sportsman's Warehouse back.

I was actually (likely unclearly) alluding to the Guide series being a little spotty nowadays. Not so much in outwear, but the aforementioned fishing shirts, for instance, aren't necessarily worth the price they're currently asking, IMO.

It used to be that you could get Patagonia / North Face quality at the "Cabela's price point", but I have found that in the last few years, a lot of the higher end Cabela's stuff is getting into Patagonia pricing. At least the non-sale price.

Though there are still some good deals to be had. All my waders are Cabelas low-mid range series, and I have found $100 Cabela's waders to be just as useful as $400 Simms (or $400 Cabela's high end) - and I fish a lot, so they get a workout.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2018, 02:14:34 PM »

I don't think so. I just visited one of the Gander Outdoors stores, and I wasn't in the market for a gun, but prices on other things seem a lot lower. Pay attention to the blue color scheme - it was like Gander Mountain was taken over by Wal-Mart in there.

Unlike Gander Mountain, I intend to actually shop at Gander Outdoors.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife