Author Topic: DoD audit starts.  (Read 4327 times)

dm1333

• friend
Re: DoD audit starts.
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 03:03:18 PM »
Re: gazebos
Military bases are small cities often, including parks and recreational areas.  With populations that are isolated, decent public spaces are useful.

True.  Lejeune has some nice gyms, plenty of family services stuff, greenways, a mountain bike trail, etc.  Gazebos also give shade which is important here in July and August.  It gets just a tad hot and humid.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 03:55:09 PM »
Gazebos? Really?

I bet the Marines don't have any gazebos.

Every building on every Army and Marine base has a gazebo outside.  They're called smoke shacks.

Pretty sure the Air Force all vapes,  not sure where they do that.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 10:02:01 PM »
Every building on every Army and Marine base has a gazebo outside.  They're called smoke shacks.

Pretty sure the Air Force all vapes,  not sure where they do that.

FWIW, every building on Lejeune doesn't have a gazebo outside.  There is a gazebo behind the building next to mine and I have never seen anybody smoke there.  I do see plenty of Marines doing PT there, I'm assuming they are on the Sergeant Majors sh*t list for one reason or another.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 11:16:19 AM »
Can't smoke in ramadas anymore. It was there purpose but, as of about 2+ years ago, there is no smoking in "any" .gov building. Ramadas are .gov buildings. The smokers now set at tables set next to (50 ft away)the ramadas.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 04:24:40 PM »
Can't smoke in ramadas anymore. It was there purpose but, as of about 2+ years ago, there is no smoking in "any" .gov building. Ramadas are .gov buildings. The smokers now set at tables set next to (50 ft away)the ramadas.

Army still has "smoke shacks" all over every base I visit.  Stupid little octagonal gazebo things.  There's always a couple people smoking in them.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 07:44:23 PM »
Not here. "Designated Smoking Areas", these have to be used by vapers too, are to be "at least 50 feet from doorways, away from any building air make-up vents, not near any other congregation points like bus stops. Letter went out to everybody, real official "by the order of" type of thing. This is officially a No tobacco use Post.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 10:51:53 PM »
Here in WA, Fairchild AFB is also a no tobacco use post yet they still have gazebos and a number of people using them, mainly civilians working on the base. On the plus side they have LEOSA signs posted also which allows po-po to carry concealed on base. I have to remove my gun and ock it up seperate from the ammo while on base. I can do that seeing how the alternative used to be no private weapons on base (non-residents) unless you let security keep it for you while on base.

bob

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 11:27:52 PM »
Yeah, a lot of them were installed back in the '90s, I'd say, to give the smokers somewhere to smoke in a bit of shelter after they were kicked out of the buildings.

Of course, now you can't smoke in them either, but the structures remain. 

USAF bases have been becoming increasingly smoking hostile to the point that, well, saying the base is smoke-free is very much quicker than trying to define the rules.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 07:14:45 PM »
The smoke pit for my building is the foundation of a WWII POW camp chow hall.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!