Author Topic: Ballistic missile false alarm in Hawaii.  (Read 4316 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Ballistic missile false alarm in Hawaii.
« on: January 13, 2018, 07:06:02 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-42677604
So apparently Hawaii just recently had a false alarm about an incoming ballistic missile. Looks like someone pressed the wrong test button and sent out a warning to everyone's cell phones.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Ballistic missile false alarm in Hawaii.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 07:25:46 PM »
Most accounts so far say it was Trump's fault.  ;/

I did hear one theory that someone did it as either a practical joke, or as "resistance". I'm still unclear as to if this came from the local/state EAS or from the feds. I would assume state, but I have been seeing fingers pointed at feds. Not sure if that's politics or accurate.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 08:00:31 PM »
I haven't seen any accounts yet blaming it on Trump, but doing so makes perfect sense for people who are seeking any reason to blame him for anything they don't like. Could the mistake have been intentional? Possibly. If so, the person responsible should be dealt with VERY severely ... if it can be proved (which is unlikely).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:29:18 PM »
That darn Trump pressed the wrong button!

The number of people that thought this was real is too damn high!

Lil' Kim is not going to launch nukes at us. If he does his whole country, at least the important bits, disappears.

He's a tyrant and a thief and lives well off of the backs of his slave population so why would he want to upset that balance?

Below him are all the other leeches. And they and their families mostly live in Pyongyang. They know damn well what would happen and would stop it.

So letting yourself worry about it is a waste of energy.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 10:31:29 PM »
Duck and cover!!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 10:38:33 PM »

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 10:40:13 PM »
And while image searching this came up:

Which seems to be the best way to face the end.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 10:43:59 PM »
I wonder how many people will now take preparation a little more seriously.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 10:56:49 PM »
That darn Trump pressed the wrong button!

The number of people that thought this was real is too damn high!

Lil' Kim is not going to launch nukes at us. If he does his whole country, at least the important bits, disappears.

He's a tyrant and a thief and lives well off of the backs of his slave population so why would he want to upset that balance?

Below him are all the other leeches. And they and their families mostly live in Pyongyang. They know damn well what would happen and would stop it.

So letting yourself worry about it is a waste of energy.
People in that position often do not have a firm grasp of reality and their actual position in it. 

If we can have idiot teenagers eating detergent on a dare, I can't imagine how bent that man might be.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 11:13:10 PM »

If we can have idiot teenagers eating detergent on a dare, I can't imagine how bent that man might be.

Sure you can. Give it a try.

Hint: He had his own uncle executed, by firing squad (using anti-aircraft guns).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3154426/Seoul-North-Korean-leader-executed-70-taking-power.html

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 11:25:47 PM »
Yeah, I have no doubt he would if he could and not because there is any logic behind such actions, but because I'm pretty sure he's nuttier than squirrel *expletive deleted*it in a nut factory.

It's the "could" part I have trouble believing.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 12:43:38 AM »

Hint: He had his own uncle executed, by firing squad (using anti-aircraft guns).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3154426/Seoul-North-Korean-leader-executed-70-taking-power.html

You say that like it was a bad thing. What's wrong with one less family member of a tyrannical, despotic regime.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 01:18:30 AM »

And had his half-brother assassinated at an airport.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 01:29:14 PM »
Yeah, don't think that he's "rational" in our sense of the word.  He's "rational" in the crazy sh!thole dictator sense of the word...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 02:58:07 PM »
Most accounts so far say it was Trump's fault.  ;/

I did hear one theory that someone did it as either a practical joke, or as "resistance". I'm still unclear as to if this came from the local/state EAS or from the feds. I would assume state, but I have been seeing fingers pointed at feds. Not sure if that's politics or accurate.

I saw some stuff on Twitchy about people like Jamey Leigh Curtis rushing to put the blame on Trump but it was actually the state that f'ed up.  Somebody pushed a button they shouldn't have. 

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 03:02:32 PM »
Copied from slashdot. Makes for interesting reading.

The US gov/mil needed to see what the US population would do in that state and all over the USA, globally given a simple cellphone message for a set time.
How would all diplomats in the USA react? Calls made, messages sent. Reactions in their embassy, communications used from their embassy out of the USA.
Spies been watched by the FBI all over the USA react in any way at all?
Do US survivalist have any national or global messaging system that was not yet under constant FBI/NSA/CIA watch?
What did average survivalist do? Drive out to their bug out location? Stay at work? Why? Did they know it was a test? Nice way to find out who they are and who got seen on CCTV, via cell phone tracking driving around in a very different way after the message :)
Did the message get repeated on unexpected and unknown communications networks? Totally new systems and unknown people who held back for just such a warning that had not been tracked by the NSA, CIA, GCHQ, FBI in the past?
Ham radio, cell phone, telephone numbers, IRC, forums, social media, changes to web sites, visits to strange web sites by many people? Different, direct messages to unexpected and new militia groups all over the US once thought to be isolated in their states?
Was the message a long conversation? A word? A number? Who passed it on locally deeper into the USA? Hops to different very networks all over the USA.
Such unexpected and urgent communications would have been a real time study for the FBI, NSA uncovering all kinds of survival and militia groups that stayed so well hidden for so long only to be detected USA wide by one simple message.
40 mins gave the study time to keep tracking all the people with "plans" all over the USA. Spies, embassy workers, US militia groups, cults, faith groups, dual citizens, survivalist, people in the US mil/gov/contractors, police might have done something very interesting for 40 mins.
Who stayed at their job in the US mil/gov/police? Who phoned their kin, strangers when they should not due to gov/mil secrecy? Who got a message and/or responded to someone they never had contact with in the past?
One message gave the FBI, US mil, police and NSA years of information on their workers, contractors, staff, special forces. Who made calls to tell people it was all a test...
Who stayed loyal to the US mil/gov and who was talking to people.
Now the US gov knows who will do what in time of war.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 03:05:17 PM »
Saw one article that mentioned a mother who hid in the bathroom with her daughter. That's about as effective as the hiding under our desks would have been when I was in grammar school back in the 1950s. It makes you wonder if maybe it would be better to NOT have a warning system. It's not like Hawaii has a network of shelters such as many cities had back at the height of the cold war. (Or individuals with fully-stocked, underground shelters buried in their yards. I used to do lawn work for people who had their own shelters "back in the day.")

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 03:06:02 PM »
It's winter, how about our own Rocketman, not the kimchi smelling one, set up a NAAR launch party in paradise. Ought to trigger a few folks.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 03:50:34 PM »
Copied from slashdot. Makes for interesting reading.

That is some next level paranoid bullshit.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 04:00:02 PM »

Oh, come on. I'm sure all the miliiamen in Idaho were scurrying for their bunkers when they heard there was an alert in ... Hawaii.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 04:34:08 PM »

I wouldn't know. My head started hurting five lines in and I had to stop reading.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 04:41:19 PM »
It's winter, how about our own Rocketman, not the kimchi smelling one, set up a NAAR launch party in paradise. Ought to trigger a few folks.

Northern Arizona Association of REALTORS ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 09:25:54 PM »
Crazy or not he's a man that wants power, clearly knows how to seize power and how to hold on to power. Starting a nuke war with the USSA is not the way to do that.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 09:55:48 PM »
You say that like it was a bad thing. What's wrong with one less family member of a tyrannical, despotic regime.

Because the reason that person, family member or not,  was executed was because he was a risk to the despot.  If he was a risk to the despot, then from our point of view, it would have been good to have him around.

The  pattern is the same for nearly every tyrannical personality who acquires power.  Stain, Mao, Pol Pot, the list is long and old.

What  puzzles me is how despots keep their killers so loyal to them.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:18:52 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 10:18:44 PM »

What  puzzles me is how despots keep their killers so loyal to them.

Fear.

The key is that the word is "killers" -- plural. Someone who might want to bail out, or orchestrate a coup, never knows who he or she can trust. (Usually no one.) Read up on Rocketboy's history. He had one top-level official executed -- brutally -- for nodding off in a meeting. He's like the ultimate getto gangsta, demanding "respect" even though he doesn't deserve any.