Author Topic: Ballistic missile false alarm in Hawaii.  (Read 4280 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Ballistic missile false alarm in Hawaii.
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 10:25:41 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 04:19:20 AM »
Saw one article that mentioned a mother who hid in the bathroom with her daughter. That's about as effective as the hiding under our desks would have been when I was in grammar school back in the 1950s.

Not in a close hit, but Hawaii, while it's a tiny target in the middle of a big ocean in terms of needing an accurate guidance system, is still pretty big in terms of how little of it could really be directly taken out by the sort of nuke that a third world country is likely to get their hands on.  Oahu alone is nearly 600 square miles, and more than 20 miles across.  Even weak shelter will help against the effects of a distant blast, (windows shattering, etc.) prevent flash blindness and keep at least small airborne debris off you.  I don't know how much total passenger capacity all the seaworthy craft in Hawaii at any given time can manage, (and of course any close to the blast would be damaged and/or irradiated) but surviving the initial hit at least gives you a chance of evacuating before the radiation and fallout kill you.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 06:11:02 AM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 08:26:10 AM »
:)
Yeah, so now they'll cure that easy-to-accidentally-hit-that-button by making it darned near impossible to hit that button.
Or they'll inadvertently set up the software so that the canceling message goes out automatically 2.317 seconds after the initial warning is finished... which is tantamount to no warning at all in a real event.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:57:42 AM by 230RN »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 10:24:17 AM »

That's some funny stuff right there.  We've got a few of those around our place, and haven't bothered to run the voice recognition training.  Some of the mistakes 'Alexa' makes are hilarious.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 10:25:48 AM »
It's winter, how about our own Rocketman, not the kimchi smelling one, set up a NAAR launch party in paradise. Ought to trigger a few folks.

Tempting, so tempting.   >:D   [popcorn]
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 01:55:09 PM »
As more information comes out,  I do find it interesting that a single person at what appears to be a mid-level position would be able to send this alert out on their own. Common sense would dictate at least two person authorization, even in test or diagnostic mode.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bscl

• friends
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 01:59:52 PM »
I was sceptical when we got the alerts.  I went to news sites figuring the Norks would be boasting about launching on us, or there would be breaking news but there was nothing.  No sirens to be heard either in our area so I figured someone pressed the wrong button.  Doubt it was anything elaborate, complicated schemes are usually about $$$ here like our ex-police chief.  Incompetence is more likely.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Life Member NRA, SAF

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2018, 07:55:35 PM »
That's some funny stuff right there.  We've got a few of those around our place, and haven't bothered to run the voice recognition training.  Some of the mistakes 'Alexa' makes are hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JepKVUym9Fg
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2018, 08:01:25 PM »
Not in a close hit, but Hawaii, while it's a tiny target in the middle of a big ocean in terms of needing an accurate guidance system, is still pretty big in terms of how little of it could really be directly taken out by the sort of nuke that a third world country is likely to get their hands on.  Oahu alone is nearly 600 square miles, and more than 20 miles across.  Even weak shelter will help against the effects of a distant blast, (windows shattering, etc.) prevent flash blindness and keep at least small airborne debris off you.  I don't know how much total passenger capacity all the seaworthy craft in Hawaii at any given time can manage, (and of course any close to the blast would be damaged and/or irradiated) but surviving the initial hit at least gives you a chance of evacuating before the radiation and fallout kill you.

I would imagine that all the mountains would help protect areas too unless the blast was high enough in the air.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2018, 08:03:15 PM »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2018, 10:34:16 PM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2018, 11:44:41 PM »
I would imagine that all the mountains would help protect areas too unless the blast was high enough in the air.

Given NK's accuracy so far, probably even more since they'd likely hit somewhere on the other side of Fiji.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2018, 09:36:44 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2018, 10:27:25 AM »
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  :rofl:
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

YGTBSM.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2018, 11:56:29 AM »
There are times I think Hawaiians are a little too shaka.

"We have fish in the sea, coconuts on the trees, pigs to roast, and the rain is warm.  Hey, brah, it's all good."

Terry, 230RN

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2018, 12:02:37 PM »
This might help explain how a false alarm might happen.  :rofl:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/01/15/oops-is-this-the-hawaii-emergency-management-agencys-computer-password/

Anytime someone blithers about government conspiracies, I just point this sort of incompetence out to them...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2018, 01:30:22 PM »
Anytime someone blithers about government conspiracies, I just point this sort of incompetence out to them...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2018, 10:07:37 AM »
Heh, even more incompetence. The HI governor couldn't remember his Twitter user/pass, which was another reason for the delayed "false alarm".

Which begs the question, "Is it really smart to use Twitter as one of your main notification methods?"

I realize I'm a grumpy old guy that is biased against Twitter and am probably at this time in a minority of the population who don't use it. However, I can't help but think of how Myspace was supposed to be Facebook, and where is Myspace now? The same could happen to Twitter in one or ten years. Seems smarter to continue with alerts over cell networks and other future infrastructure.

Infrastructure over specific companies. If Verizon were to disappear tomorrow, I could get an AT&T phone and still get emergency alerts. Or work to greatly expand the emergency alert system. You can buy radios that are "always on" to send you an emergency alert. What if new homes, cars, etc. had that built in? Seems like you could build a smoke/CO/ emergency alert unit with everything bundled together. Hey - maybe I just came up with a million dollar idea!  :laugh:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/23/hawaii-governor-took-long-to-post-on-twitter-about-missile-alert-because-forgot-username-password.html

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2018, 07:15:41 PM »
So you actually CAN get fired from a gov job. You just need to have ten years of performance issues mixing up exercises with the real thing:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/01/30/trust-the-experts-believe-it-or-not-that-hawaii-missile-alert-story-gets-even-worse/

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2018, 12:52:43 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2018, 05:16:06 AM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2018, 07:39:50 AM »
:rofl:
Hate it when that happens!

Yeah, that was a good one. Happens to me all the time.  :rofl:

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2018, 07:47:31 AM »
Yeah, that was a good one. Happens to me all the time.  :rofl:

You should use a Rad blocker.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?