Author Topic: Random curiosity  (Read 1147 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Random curiosity
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:41:58 PM »
Guy Williams, the actor who starred in the Walt Disney Zorro television series, and in Lost in Space, retired to Argentina, and was living there when he died. He was living there during the Falkland Islands war in 1982. I wonder if he favored the Argentinian side or the English/Falkland Islanders' side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Random curiosity
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 10:16:56 PM »
I don't know the answer but Zorro was a great show. Watched it with my then young kids on Vault Disney.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 12:55:14 AM »
I remember him fro Lost in Space.
Had to look up his bio.
Only 65 when he died.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 04:29:41 AM »
RoadKingLarry might be interested to know that he liked sailing, owned a 40' ketch named Oceana.

Sterling Hayden was also a sailor, reportedly disliked acting, did it only to support his sailing habit.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 07:35:36 AM »
what on earth precipitated that question?    :O     As a corollary,  why would anyone care what he thought?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 07:45:38 AM »
What prompted the question was that I've been watching the old Zorro episodes on Youtube. My late wife and I had discussed taking a trip to see the Falklands (I wanted to go, she was afraid it would be too cold). Then I read a bio of Guy Williams and realized that he was living in Argentina at the time of the war... so I wondered. Nothing of cosmic importance, just curiosity.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 09:47:08 AM »
what on earth precipitated that question?    :O   

It's right in his subject line, yo.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 02:58:42 PM »
RoadKingLarry might be interested to know that he liked sailing, owned a 40' ketch named Oceana.

Sterling Hayden was also a sailor, reportedly disliked acting, did it only to support his sailing habit.

A sentiment I can fully understand.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 04:44:40 PM »

IIRC, Didn't Sterling Hayden do some secret squirrel OSS stuff in Yugoslavia in WWII ??

Yep...http://www.historynet.com/troubled-waters.htm
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 10:55:36 PM »
Yes, and he (Sterling Hayden) got some pretty good decorations for that.  Parachuted behind the lines.

He also "kidnapped" his children and sailed them to some south sea island (Tahiti?) on his boat. Got in trouble for that.

I'm sometimes amazed at some of the military history our favorite actors had.

I was interested that Bob Cummings was taught to fly by one of the Wright brothers his Godfather, Orville Wright, and was the first officially-certified (with certificate #1) flight instructor. Instructor for the Army Air Force, big civil aviation booster. Has a small airport in California named after him.  Or a runway, maybe, I'm not sure which.  Owned and flew an autocar, among other aircraft. One, called Spinach, was a green Cessna C-37 Airmaster, NC18550.

Charles Clarence Robert Orville Cummings with his Autocar sans trailer with wings and empennage:

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:36:19 AM by 230RN »

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 11:06:52 PM »
Bob Cummings. On his TV show, Love that Bob,  Schultzie was his housekeeper if I remember correctly and he ran around with Bill Lear.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 07:51:39 AM »
Pokin' around the 'net on the Autocar, I found this undated article with excellent pictures of it. They're trying to sell it for $1million.  As far as I know, only 5 were built.  

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/world-flying-car-created-1949-sale-1-million-article-1.1375626

The pictures are worth a click, I guess, if you're interested.

Terry

ETA:
Layout:

http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%20performance/aerocar.htm

I guess nowadays maybe an autogyro would be more practical.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:59:01 PM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 07:16:46 PM »
I clicked. I remember seeing that contraption in magazines like Mechanix Illustrated and Popular Mechanics. My grandfather was a pilot, so the idea of a car you could fly absolutely fascinated me.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 08:06:14 PM »

I'm sometimes amazed at some of the military history our favorite actors had.

I was pretty surprised to find out that Charlie Murphy, Eddie Murphy's brother, who had passed away last year had served for six years as a boiler tech in the Navy.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic