Author Topic: Welcome to New by God California  (Read 1748 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Welcome to New by God California
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:42:34 PM »
I'm still in favor of Jefferson, since it would include our fine neighbors in Oregon, but this is a pretty good border too. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 08:10:57 PM »
If nothing else, like the counties in Colorado "seceding" from the Stadt a couple of years ago, it will perhaps wake up the other rural areas to the problem of urban despotism and get their asses to the polls and to their party headquarters to staple literature, knock on doors, answer phones, lick envelopes, and so on. :-(
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:31:23 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:05:32 PM »
I'm still in favor of Jefferson, since it would include our fine neighbors in Oregon, but this is a pretty good border too. :)

Both Washington and Oregon seem to have been in overdrive recently to enact anti-gun, anto-2A legislation. I don't think I'd want any new state to incorporate that lunacy from the outset.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 09:34:04 PM »
Both Washington and Oregon seem to have been in overdrive recently to enact anti-gun, anto-2A legislation. I don't think I'd want any new state to incorporate that lunacy from the outset.

Well, OR is much like CA, where geographically, the vast majority of the state is of a different mindset than that upper coast area of OR with all the coffee and hippies. The state of Jefferson encompasses those rural counties of OR along with some inland/northern counties of CA.

But you are right. Lately I find myself shaking my head at what comes out of OR and WA cities (and gets voted in as state law) as much of it is getting to be 1000x crazier than stuff they do here in CA. Honestly, the way it's going, CA may end up being the least liberal of the West Coast states. I'm still vamoosing though. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 10:13:49 PM »
Based on how the votes from last election broke, with that map we in real California would still get stuck with two Dem senators. There's lots of blue left after cutting out the big enlcaves.

And that means a majority Dem Cal legislature as well. It might be closer than now but it would still be the same outcome.

On the plus side L.A. County would have to pay a lot more for the water they are currently stealing from those of us in the north.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 10:30:03 PM »
Based on how the votes from last election broke, with that map we in real California would still get stuck with two Dem senators. There's lots of blue left after cutting out the big enlcaves.

I blame that on so many people now taking the drug of "free stuff". I read this morning that 1 of every 3 handout recipients in the US now resides in CA.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 11:22:21 PM »
It'd be real interesting to see how a "No Benevolences" party would do. 

Either at the state or federal level.

The basic premise would be no giveaways of any kind to anyone.

No welfare, no subsidies, no foreign aid, no medical coverage, no retirement benefits, no pensions for gov employees...nothing.

At he federal level the only things that would be taxed for and funded would be the three branches of government, the Department of War, the State Department and the Treasury.

Everything else goes away.

Now there might be a smaller dept or two or three that might be useful that would be orphaned in this scheme but they can be shoehorned into the Executive branch or one of the remaining agencies.

I predict less than 1% of the vote but it would be educational.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 11:10:51 AM »
It'd be real interesting to see how a "No Benevolences" party would do. 

Either at the state or federal level.

The basic premise would be no giveaways of any kind to anyone.

No welfare, no subsidies, no foreign aid, no medical coverage, no retirement benefits, no pensions for gov employees...nothing.

At he federal level the only things that would be taxed for and funded would be the three branches of government, the Department of War, the State Department and the Treasury.

Everything else goes away.

Now there might be a smaller dept or two or three that might be useful that would be orphaned in this scheme but they can be shoehorned into the Executive branch or one of the remaining agencies.

I predict less than 1% of the vote but it would be educational.

Welcome to the Libertarian Party....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 02:31:41 PM »
Nope, it has a different model than the Libertarian Party.

In this new party there wouldn't be any going on about the drug war or prostitution, other sex-based laws and other such personal-level things.

It would all be about stripped down and efficient government where everybody pays the same rate and no one gets handouts, yet the military and border patrol is funded and the flag will still wave at embassies around the globe. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 03:47:59 PM »
Nope, it has a different model than the Libertarian Party.

In this new party there wouldn't be any going on about the drug war or prostitution, other sex-based laws and other such personal-level things.

It would all be about stripped down and efficient government where everybody pays the same rate and no one gets handouts, yet the military and border patrol is funded and the flag will still wave at embassies around the globe. 

That would be the small "l" libertarian party
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 07:00:05 PM »
If Jefferson split off from CA I would be making a beeline for Weaverville in 2020.  I could also handle the Grants Pass area, Bend or Prineville.  Since that isn't going to happen I'll stick with east TN.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 03:07:54 AM »
Heh.  Prineville.  My schizophrenic SIL thinks the battery that powers the world is hidden there.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 08:49:51 AM »
Heh.  Prineville.  My schizophrenic SIL thinks the battery that powers the world is hidden there.

Not that I know your SIL, but the first time I went over the hill, stopped at the viewpoint and saw Prineville below, my first thought was, "Twilight Zone episode". I don't know why, but there was just a surreal look to it of "1950s time warp town" that was out of place for the geography.  :laugh: