Author Topic: What's Never Seez?  (Read 5148 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
What's Never Seez?
« on: January 17, 2018, 03:28:35 PM »
Is the question I got from no less than four people at Lowes this morning. I was in the store when I remembered a can of Never Seez that I've had forever was done, so figured I'd pick another one up.

Instead of looking it up on my phone, which gets crappy reception in this Lowes, I asked a guy. He had no idea what it was, including when I said "anti-seize compound". He looked it up on his little Lowes iPad thing, but found nothing (including after I got him to spell "seize" correctly  :laugh: ). He then took me around asking three other people, including  the store know-it-all, who was around my age, but had also never heard of it.

I was a bit flabbergasted that no one, including the older guy, had ever heard of it. I've always considered the brand name a very common term for anti-seize compounds, and something even half-assed weekend warriors know about. Looking further, it just doesn't seem to be a big box item. There's tons on Amazon, and Tractor supply apparently sells 1oz tubes, but I guess Never Seez is just not that common anymore, or what?

Anyways, I was surprised.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: What's Never Seez?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 03:49:55 PM »
1.  Never heard of Never-Seez, but I know what anit-seize is.
2.  In Lowes, use their free wi-fi.  Their app is decent, too, and has a map of the store
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 03:58:42 PM »
1.  Never heard of Never-Seez, but I know what anit-seize is.
2.  In Lowes, use their free wi-fi.  Their app is decent, too, and has a map of the store

The wi-fi in all Lowes always gives me trouble with my VPN. Coincidentally, 4G often seems to suck in them too (though not in my primary Lowes), which makes me put on the tinfoil about them trying to force me onto their unsecured wifi. :)

I do like their app, though I've notice in the last couple of months that stuff wasn't where they said it was about 25% of the time. It used to be 100% accurate for me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 04:00:52 PM »
This man knows:

In all seriousness, I've never heard of Never Seez.  I use "anti-seize" all the time though.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 04:07:08 PM »
This man knows:
[img]https://zealnyc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/vegnews.steviewonder.gif

In all seriousness, I've never heard of Never Seez.  I use "anti-seize" all the time though.

Chris

Ha ha.  :laugh:

Now I'm wondering if it's a regional thing rather than an age thing. "Never Seez" was always used the same way you say "Kleenex" when I worked in the oil patch, and I for sure remember a few years back when I needed some for something I was building at work, I walked down to one of our boats to see if they had some, and the crew knew exactly what it was. I'm also thinking it was a common term in auto shop in High School, wher I probably first heard about it.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 04:13:01 PM »
http://www.neverseezproducts.com/neverseez.htm

It's just a brand name of a pretty common anti-seize compound.  I use it out here on the east coast so I don't think it's regional.  It is kinda "industrial" stuff.  Not really home-owner grade.  NAPA sells it around here.  I'm pretty sure it's the same parent company as Permatex.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 05:40:06 PM »
Ha ha.  :laugh:

Now I'm wondering if it's a regional thing rather than an age thing. "Never Seez" was always used the same way you say "Kleenex" when I worked in the oil patch, and I for sure remember a few years back when I needed some for something I was building at work, I walked down to one of our boats to see if they had some, and the crew knew exactly what it was. I'm also thinking it was a common term in auto shop in High School, wher I probably first heard about it.

We're at opposite ends of the country. "Never Seez" is, as you noted, a brand name, but it's THE brand name, and around here all my racer friends always called the stuff "Never Seez" -- regardless of who made it. I would be amazed if Lowe's doesn't carry some brand of the stuff, but I'm not at all surprised that the drones in the aisles don't know what it is.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 05:52:14 PM »
Gotta watch that stuff, it will crawl outta the can and get on good clothes and anything else you don't want it on! Beware!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 06:10:04 PM »
I would be amazed if Lowe's doesn't carry some brand of the stuff, but I'm not at all surprised that the drones in the aisles don't know what it is.

I was amazed too, but they apparently carry no anti-seize products. I did a search when I got home trying any kind of similar term and got nothing. Also, while they were drones, I do have to give them credit for walking me through every possible dept at the store that might have had it. Everywhere from where they had the loctite and WD-40 to where they had the plumbers grease. Nada.

I suspect Dogmush mentioned the brick and mortar retail space where you can find it - the auto parts store. Maybe pipe places too, but none of the homeowner type stores it seems.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 06:45:01 PM »
ANY automotive parts house will have it. Auto Zone, Pep Boys etc. will stock it.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 06:49:35 PM »
ANY automotive parts house will have it. Auto Zone, Pep Boys etc. will stock it.

Not only that, if you call it anti-seize they'll more than likely even know what you're talking about.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 07:21:33 PM »
Plumbing or tools lanes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 08:51:21 PM »
There are different types too. Nickel based should be used with stainless steel,  the aluminum based stuff they sell at the auto parts store will actually cause corrosion there.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 09:26:37 PM »
I had to buy some a while back.  I think I found it at Home Depot in the paint area.  I can't remember if I tried Lowes first or not. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 07:03:16 AM »
Oh, and Never Seez is still made.

http://www.neverseezproducts.com/neverseez.htm
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 10:19:47 AM »
Never-Seez resides in my shop. This can was appropriated from an oil rig in the Santa Barbara channel when I was on a drilling crew.
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 11:15:27 AM »
Never-Seez resides in my shop. This can was appropriated from an oil rig in the Santa Barbara channel when I was on a drilling crew.

You force me into thread veer by reminding me of a joke they used to tell in my part of the patch all the time (I hope I remember it right):

A lawyer, engineer, and oil field worker were enlisted for an experiment. Each man was put in an empty room with three 6" steel balls. They were given five minutes to do anything with them that they wanted.

The lawyer just lined the three balls up in a row.

The engineer placed them into an equilateral triangle.

The oil field worker broke one, lost one, and took the other one home in his lunch bucket.

=D

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 11:22:34 AM »
The oil field worker broke one, lost one, and took the other one home in his lunch bucket.

I was going to ask how he managed to break a 6" steel ball, but then remembered - oh yeah, oil field worker.  ;)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 12:13:32 PM »

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 12:26:27 PM »
I can't see it.

Chris

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 12:37:16 PM »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 12:59:03 PM »
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Liquid-Wrench-Anti-Seize-Dielectric-Grease/50119717

Lowes lists it online.

Not remotely the same stuff.

Never Seez is metal* impregnated paste designed for fasteners.  It's pretty thick, provides very persistent lubrication, and is designed to be in the threads.  I'm currently working on a jar of the Kimball Midwest branded copper anti-sieze, which is as good or better than Never Seez.  A jar will last for a long while.

*What metal it is depends on which formula.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 01:38:50 PM »
I was going to ask how he managed to break a 6" steel ball, but then remembered - oh yeah, oil field worker.  ;)

My dad once described me as able to "break an anvil with a feather" and I sent on to be a US Navy Diesel Mechanic.
MOLON LABE!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 02:45:22 PM »

*What metal it is depends on which formula.

LocTite has a pretty good rundown on types, and what should be used where.

https://www.all-spec.com/loctite-anti-seize

I keep a bottle of nickel-based goo around. Had to get it when I changed plugs in my truck. It ain't cheap and it's was a little hard to find locally, but I can use it on just about anything and it's enough to last me several lifetimes.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 03:04:05 PM »
When I still wrenched, I kept a bottle of that Silver Anti-Seize for Steel on steel use like lug nuts etc. Great stuff and a little goes a long way!
MOLON LABE!