Author Topic: Amazon Prime Monthly Price Increase  (Read 1492 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Amazon Prime Monthly Price Increase
« on: January 19, 2018, 10:35:15 AM »
An FYI for any of you on their monthly Prime plan. They are increasing the price by nearly 20%. Annual price remains the same (for now).  I would guess it is both to capture a bit more income and maybe reduce monthly memberships (in favor of annual) and thus reduce some overhead.

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-raises-us-monthly-prime-subscription-18-percent/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Re: Amazon Prime Monthly Price Increase
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 10:37:16 AM »
I got in on a reduced annual rate.  The shipping alone makes it worth it to me.  Everything else is gravy.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 10:49:03 AM »
I got in on a reduced annual rate.  The shipping alone makes it worth it to me.  Everything else is gravy.

I didn't get a reduced annual rate, but I do find the shipping alone to be worth the fee.  That said, I'm becoming a bit disillusioned with the quality of their merchandise.  I'm noticing more and more cheap foreign copies, counterfeits, and junk crowding out the quality stuff.  Additionally, you have to be very careful about ordering items not fulfilled by Amazon.  Finally, the product descriptions are often brief or even incorrect, forcing you to read up on the item elsewhere.  Most reviews are total garbage (I've literally seen negative reviews for reasons not at all related to the product itself).  You have to know what you're buying and why before you order it from Amazon because you can't rely on them to provide decent info.

When Alibaba first came on the scene, I wondered how they were going to compete against Amazon since the former mostly sold cheap Chinese junk and copies.  What I didn't expect was for Amazon to stoop to their level. 

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 11:15:45 AM »
I didn't get a reduced annual rate, but I do find the shipping alone to be worth the fee.  That said, I'm becoming a bit disillusioned with the quality of their merchandise.  I'm noticing more and more cheap foreign copies, counterfeits, and junk crowding out the quality stuff.  Additionally, you have to be very careful about ordering items not fulfilled by Amazon.  Finally, the product descriptions are often brief or even incorrect, forcing you to read up on the item elsewhere.  Most reviews are total garbage (I've literally seen negative reviews for reasons not at all related to the product itself).  You have to know what you're buying and why before you order it from Amazon because you can't rely on them to provide decent info.

When Alibaba first came on the scene, I wondered how they were going to compete against Amazon since the former mostly sold cheap Chinese junk and copies.  What I didn't expect was for Amazon to stoop to their level. 

Chris

I was thinking of writing a complaint similar to yours, but you got all my points in.  =D

One of my biggest gripes is that I used to pretty confidently use Amazon reviews when buying stuff there (or even on other sites). But man, Amazon user reviews have gone to *expletive deleted*it. I'm thinking at least half the "verified" reviews are 12 year old Chinese kids writing them during their lunch break at the sweatshop. When I see something at Amazon that I want, I've actualyl been doing the opposite now and going elsewhere  looking for verification reviews.

I don't trust the "Amazon bestseller" thing anymore either. I'm wondering if Bezos is taking kickbacks from Chinese knockoff companies to feature their goods.

Obviously I'm still using Amazon a lot, but as they've gotten humongous, I've been more careful about "click and buy". I'm actually starting to gripe lately about the Amazon music service and player as well.

But yeah, given all my complaints, paying the annual Prime rate, at least for now, is still worthwhile with shipping alone.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 01:40:42 PM »
Generally if I buy from Amazon I already know what I'm buying. The majority of what I get from them is reference books related to photography or sailing or the odd bit . The Amazon prime video has been decent as well. Only negative experience waz with the knock-off eclipse glasses and they refunded and didn't require a return.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 02:30:29 PM »
I'm not minding the increase. I got Amazon Prime mostly for the streaming services. I'm perfectly willing to pay more simply for the Amazon Originals in addition to all the other content.

I don't generally buy anything that I don't know what I'm getting. Mostly we order books and such, or brand names. I've also never had issues with third party sellers, but again, most of the third party sellers are used book stores or the original company of the product (gun stuff mostly).
I think the only thing that I've ordered that could be considered iffy in terms of quality would be dog clothes for Bucky, but that's going to be iffy no matter where I buy it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 02:51:22 AM »
Although I have on occasion purchased from Amazon, I prefer not to. Here's part of the reason:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/amazon-drivers-win-legal-battle-11885217

“I think there are between 10,000 and 15,000 drivers delivering for Amazon who this affects. There has been a move to this model of delivering packages for Amazon which is a race to the bottom.”
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 07:59:06 AM »
It's a known fact that working for Amazon is strenuous regardless of the work you do for them.  There must be an upside because they have no problem recruiting people. 

Labor protections and expectations in the UK are different than the US (in my old role, I had about 12 Brits reporting to me).  If you think our workers have it soft, you haven't seen anything yet (and France or Spain is even worse).

Chris

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 08:09:17 AM »
One of my biggest gripes is that I used to pretty confidently use Amazon reviews when buying stuff there (or even on other sites). But man, Amazon user reviews have gone to *expletive deleted*it. I'm thinking at least half the "verified" reviews are 12 year old Chinese kids writing them during their lunch break at the sweatshop.

So much this.

I was looking for some headphones recently.  The Chinese knockoffs that were Amazon recommended ... the reviews were painful.  "Oh look, this one has a great rating.  Hmm.  143 5-star reviews.   All left within a 48 hour period.  That's not suspicious at all."
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 12:14:13 PM »
It's a known fact that working for Amazon is strenuous regardless of the work you do for them.  There must be an upside because they have no problem recruiting people.

Retention is their problem.  Several of my former coworkers can attest to that. Having been recruited by Amazon, they lasted two years or so before bailing.  The work culture is not a friendly one.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.