Author Topic: Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics  (Read 2380 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics
« on: January 28, 2018, 01:47:37 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/michigan-state-president-resigns-wake-larry-nassar-conviction/story?id=52599442

The video in this article includes a portion of Nassar's apology. All I can say is ... he reads well. Dunno who wrote that for him, but I didn't pick up one iota of feeling as he read that. It was like he had never seen the words before he read them. (And he may not have.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Re: Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 09:00:06 AM »
I find the judge's statements much more interesting.  I like her.

http://fortune.com/2018/01/24/judge-transcript-sentence-larry-nassar/

It is my privilege on counts 1, 2, 5, 8, 10 and 18 and 24 to sentence you to 40 years. And when I look at my cheat sheet, 40 years, just so you know and you can count it off your calendar, is 480 months.

The tail end, because I need to send a message to the parole board in the event somehow God is gracious, and I know he is, and you survive the 60 years in federal prison first, and then you start on my 40 years. You’ve gone off the page here as to what I’m doing. My page only goes to 100 years.

Sir, I’m giving you 175 years, which is 2,100 months. I’ve just signed your death warrant. (crowd begins to applaud) I need everyone to be quiet. I still have contempt powers, I told you all I’m not nice.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 09:04:00 AM »
I do not. It is clear to me the judge knew she would be on camera and came ready to star. Administer justice and STFU. The justice chick I like wears a blindfold. I would not be surprised if her comments open an avenue to appeal.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 10:27:10 AM »
I do not. It is clear to me the judge knew she would be on camera and came ready to star. Administer justice and STFU. The justice chick I like wears a blindfold. I would not be surprised if her comments open an avenue to appeal.

The sentence will be appealed anyway, and probably the conviction. I'll be very surprised if her comments DON'T result in the sentence being either set aside (for re-sentencing) or reduced. Which would be a shame, because he deserves every one of those 175 years.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 10:35:17 AM »
He surely does. But when your judge muses on gang rape in prison it kinda colors the whole affair.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 11:08:45 AM »

I think I fall on this side of the line. Regardless of the crime, I would prefer a judge be a bit more robot-like. As much as Judge Reardon entertains me on Justified, I would not want him to be the judge if I were ever in court for anything.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 11:53:25 AM »

I had the same thoughts when I first watched the sentence being delivered.  Then I had to look.  Yep, Michigan judges are elected.  It was most likely putting on a show, knowing it wouldn't hurt a bit at the next election.  Will it be brought up in the appeal? Probably. But given the sentences he's already serving on the federal charges, it's irrelevant.   This guy will die in prison.  And, assuming he's guilty of molesting these girls, or even a handful of these girls, and convincing them and their families it was some kind of actual medical treatment, may he burn in Hell.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 11:33:34 AM »
Looks like they had a to-do in the court room during sentencing.

The father of 3 girls who Nassar abused tried to get at him.

Pity he didn't make it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42922431
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 12:53:52 PM »
Virtue-signalling judges.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 03:14:10 PM »

Pity he didn't make it.

A number of times in the past I have wondered why this didn't happen more often. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 03:38:42 PM »

Pity he didn't make it.

The article makes it appear that this was yet another sentencing hearing. It's a different judge. And now the number of victims has grown to [at least] 265!

At his current sentencing hearing this week, Judge Cunningham said the number of known victims had grown to 265.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 04:57:34 PM »

Pity he didn't make it.

I keep seeing this.  I get why they're after him.  But here's the thing:
He's sick. He's criminal.  He's being punished.  (Not excusing his behavior)
He's likely to receive far worse treatment in prison than I could give him in a courtroom.
What about the *expletive deleted*ing aholes who knew he was doing weird *expletive deleted*it and did nothing with it?
I would be sorely tempted to find and beat the tar out of them for allowing this to go on for so long were it my child.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 07:48:07 PM »
The judge later gave the dad a stern talking to and then set him free with no punishment.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 07:50:07 PM »
I'm with JJ, how the Hell do you victimize that many people for so long and get away with it?

This is worse than Penn State and haven't a few of those admin types been indicted?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 08:47:03 PM »
The president of the university where he worked has resigned, "for the good of the service." She (of course) professes to have known nothing and to have not been aware of any complaints. Looking at her photos, I think she was jealous. I can't imagine anyone wishing to molest her ...

Yes, I suppose that makes me a terrible person. So be it.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 03:44:14 AM »
I'm with JJ, how the Hell do you victimize that many people for so long and get away with it?

This is worse than Penn State and haven't a few of those admin types been indicted?

Whistle-blowers and anecdotal evidence are ignored as long as the product sells...Penn State had great football, those US Gymnastics girls kept bringing home medals, and so what if weird things were happening in the showers and the doctor's office as long as the wins and the dollars keep coming.  :mad:
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 04:48:58 AM »
I too, can't help wondering about the reality here.  I grant you that many can't be just false reporting.  But I also can't help remembering the time I was shepherding a bunch of kids from the church around in my camper on a snowy day.

After a stop for playtime and burgers, they all piled into the back of my camper.  I saw it coming as one little girl started to slip on the step going up and as I instinctively reached out to stop her falling backwards, my hand ended up right between her legs.  Yes, on that part, and I pushed her back up so she could regain her footing and step into the camper.

Perfectly innocent, believe me, no thrill for me, but later on I thought about the potential fallout from that.  There was none.

I've watched gymnastic practice with a coach by the dismount mat catching and steadying both boys and girls in their landings where "accusations" might be made, but it seems to be just part of the game and nobody fusses about it.

That incident with the little girl came back to me after reading this.  Yeah, he 'fessed up, but holy cow, >200 accusations?

I dunno.  And I think that very vindictive judge should at least be reprimanded somehow.  "Judicial temperament" hah!
Terry

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 05:05:05 AM by 230RN »

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 09:47:13 AM »
parents drive their kids to compete, and drive them to succeed.  They seem to be blind to what their kids endure just to satisfy the parent's need to live their lives through their children.  So many kids abused and NO parents were aware.    Risible.   

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 03:57:42 PM »
I've read that he convinced a lot of the girls, and apparently parents, that a lot of his genital rubbing was treatment for groin issues, which apparently are pretty common in gymnasts. Again, more reason why I'm pulli ng for an eternity without air conditioning, as he manipulated so many families to not believe their daughters.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 07:12:04 PM »
I think a lot of the parents were so invested in seeing their little girls succeed that they just ignored the evidence.  This sort of 'institutionalized' abuse cannot exist without complicit parents.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 07:35:45 PM »
My experience has been that usually, folks just don't WANT to see. The subject is "icky", and upsets their worldview
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 08:09:06 PM »
My experience has been that usually, folks just don't WANT to see. The subject is "icky", and upsets their worldview

Seems to be paralleled by the situation of the Pope and the bishop in Chile. Il Papa seems to have been caught in a bit of a ... ahem ... dare I say "untruth"? He claimed there was no evidence to support allegations Bishop Barrios (or is it Barros?) had covered up for an abusive priest and that "no one" had come forward with any accusations, but then it came out that a cardinal who is a member of the Pope's commission says he personally delivered an 8-page letter from one of the abused victims to the Pope himself.

Oops.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 11:08:28 PM »