Author Topic: 911: "Send an officer now!! My server just... BROUGHT ME A STRAW!!!"  (Read 2551 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
The Looney Left at it's wackiest. Ian Calderon, Democrat state assemblyman, proposes a bill which would establish fines up to $1000 and as much as 6 months in jail for wait staff who give patrons an unsolicited drinking straw.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/29/california-lawmakers-proposal-makes-serving-plastic-straw-without-request-crime-report-says.html

A lawmaker in California reportedly introduced a bill last week that would make it a criminal offense for any person in a restaurant to serve a patron a plastic straw in their drinks without it being requested.

The penalty would be up to six months in jail or $1,000 fine or a combination, The Washington Examiner reported.

We need to create awareness around the issue of one-time use plastic straws and its detrimental effects on our landfills,” Ian Calderon, a Democrat in the state’s assembly said, according to the report.

Calderon, in a statement, said 500 million straws are used in the U.S. daily, citing the National Park Service. The report said it is hard to quantify the number and called the claim “dubious.”

Though the proposal may sound drastic to some, the pitch to move diners away from plastic straws is not a new on in California. There are already two cities that have “straws-on-request” laws and The Los Angeles Times’ editorial page has endorsed some similar legislation.

I went to his FacePlace page. Some of the comments are meme gold.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: 911: "Send an officer now!! My server just... BROUGHT ME A STRAW!!!"
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 10:41:26 AM »

Brad

Link?  I could use the laughs.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 10:43:42 AM »
From what I saw in other news reports, within about 12 hours of the release, he already started backpedaling and said he was pulling the criminal portion.

Nevertheless, I don't know what they think they're going to accomplish. AFAIK, places like McDs, etc., don't fall under the regulation. I'm pretty sure CA McDonalds locations just by themselves give out more straws every day than all the "sit down" restaurants in the state combined.

Also, all the information they are using for this is from a single research project by a nine year old kid.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 10:48:16 AM »
Also, all the information they are using for this is from a single research project by a nine year old kid.

I really shouldn't be surprised by that, I should know how stupid politicians are. Nevertheless, my jaw hit the floor.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 11:05:15 AM »
Also, my "that doesn't sound right" meter pegs with the "500M plastic straws per day" claim.

There are ~300M people in the country. (I know its slightly larger). 500M straws would be almost 2 straws per person, per day. Most people don't use them in their home, so it would require roughly 80% of the country to eat out (their entire family!) twice per day. Every day.

That seems high.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 11:06:51 AM »
The Looney Left at it's wackiest. Ian Calderon, Democrat state assemblyman, proposes a bill which would establish fines up to $1000 and as much as 6 months in jail for wait staff who give patrons an unsolicited drinking straw.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/29/california-lawmakers-proposal-makes-serving-plastic-straw-without-request-crime-report-says.html

Brad

Heinlein's "Crazy Years".  The Stupid is being turned up to 11.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 11:27:27 AM »
Look, a $1,000 is just "crumbs" per Nancy Pelosi, and with the CA minimum wage being jacked-up to $15/hour, those now 1% servers can afford the $1,000 per straw fine...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »
Even if it is 500 Million straws per day, don't they realize that is only a very small portion of the trash generated daily by the average person.  How about finding some real solutions to that instead of threatening to throw wait staff in jail and fine them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 11:50:10 AM »
My wife and I never use straws when we go out, and when we use them at home, I have these cool bent stainless steel straws that I found on Amazon.  Perfect for sipping my margarita when I am in the hammock.  Only about four more months until I can get the hammock out of the shed and hang it up.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 12:06:31 PM »
He's making one hell of a strawman argument.

Someone had to.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 03:19:38 PM »
Like a lot of folks given to the vapors about issues they think have easy answers he's just gasping at straws. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 03:22:07 PM »
Ahhh, California. The state that made it illegal to kill someone while carjacking them, and banned a weapon which has only ever existed in a movie
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 03:34:25 PM »
Ahhh, California. The state that made it illegal to kill someone while carjacking them, and banned a weapon which has only ever existed in a movie

??

phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 09:28:00 PM »
My wife and I never use straws when we go out, and when we use them at home, I have these cool bent stainless steel straws that I found on Amazon.  Perfect for sipping my margarita when I am in the hammock.  Only about four more months until I can get the hammock out of the shed and hang it up.
I used to work with a guy who had spent a lot of time working down in Venezuela.  He was more confident in the cleanliness of the straw than the glass. 

I was finally able to find the extra long straws like the convenience stores use on Amazon.  I use them all the time, but I don't go through multiple per day.  And it is not a significant portion of my trash by any means.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 09:31:55 PM »
Besides, plastic is the reason we exist.   =D

https://youtu.be/7W33HRc1A6c?t=5m20s

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 11:02:56 PM »
Quick solution, I think, would be to just place a mug or something in the table with a bunch of straws in it.  Thereby making straws available without the server bringing them over unasked.  ;)

Or stuff a few into the napkin holder, next to the ketchup/sugar packets, etc...

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:03:18 AM by Angel Eyes »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 10:38:50 AM »

Better BYOC (bring your own cups)  [tinfoil] Or have the scalding coffee poured on your hands...
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"