Author Topic: I've said it before, and I'll say it again..  (Read 2041 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again..
« on: February 05, 2018, 06:46:38 PM »
You don't need tax-funded, government supplied cops.

Services such as this plus insurance investigators, private investigators, bounty hunters and an armed, can-do populace will take care of any security or investigative needs a society might need.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: I've said it before, and I'll say it again..
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 08:09:55 PM »
Private police forces are nothing new in the U.S.  Railroads have had them for decades.

http://www.therailroadpolice.com/

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:02:46 PM »
Private police forces are nothing new in the U.S.  Railroads have had them for decades.

AMTRAK has a police force. Considering Amtrak's status, though, I don't know whether or not to classify them as government.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 09:25:39 PM »
On one hand I'm all for private sector innovation. On the other I'm leery of "policing for profit" operations.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 09:42:27 PM »
But critics fear the rise of private policing could lead to a two-tier system where only the wealthy get protection from criminals.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5346699/First-private-police-force-caught-400-criminals.html#ixzz56IAhpipA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Yeah, that is what happens when you let the Govt take away your right to bear arms, self defense, and defense of property. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 09:51:44 PM »
You don't need tax-funded, government supplied cops.

Services such as this plus insurance investigators, private investigators, bounty hunters and an armed, can-do populace will take care of any security or investigative needs a society might need.

I believe if you remove items like police and regulators, you are going to have the spend the same amount of money (if not more) expanding the court system to allow for all the new lawsuits to be processed in a timely manor.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 10:20:01 PM »

Note: Completely useless information upcoming:

I've only seen RR cops twice in my life. The most recent they were sitting in their car between the tracks and a building. Don't know why.

The first time there were two of them looking intently at the device that lowers the arm to block the track, and then one of them turned and used his arm as a pointer as if something came from that-a-way. They both eyeballed me as I drove past, which was fair as I was doing the same to them. 

-------------------------------------

Racking my brain I cannot recall a single TV series based around RR cops. Not that Hollywood would do it right but they don't seem to have ever tried.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 10:20:41 PM »
I believe if you remove items like police and regulators, you are going to have the spend the same amount of money (if not more) expanding the court system to allow for all the new lawsuits to be processed in a timely manor.

There's only one way to find out!

castle key

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 10:41:14 PM »
On one hand I'm all for private sector innovation. On the other I'm leery of "policing for profit" operations.

But post conviction, the defendant can be incarcerated in a for profit jail. Corrections Corporation of America.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 11:08:26 PM »
But post conviction, the defendant can be incarcerated in a for profit jail. Corrections Corporation of America.

Many states are already using that model. Ask Pennsylvania how it worked out with reformatories ...

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 01:41:44 AM »

Separate topic. I don't like the concept of "For profit" jails either. Way too much added opportunity for corruption.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 02:49:07 AM »

For sure. Imagine a "private" equivalent of the RICO Act.

And part of a governmental compensation package for the commissioned police officer is the prospect of a reasonably generous retirement allotment.  Yes, it's only $x once a month every month, but it's also $y once a month every month in your old age and dotage.

Terry

REF (This article does not address RICO abuses):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racketeer_Influenced_and_Corrupt_Organizations_Act#Application_of_RICO_laws

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 08:53:40 AM »

My very favorite Brit-com.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 10:22:31 AM »

My very favorite Brit-com.

...any my common grammar mistake. Timely manner is what I meant.  =)

Uranus is a gas giant.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 11:01:51 AM »
Well now you're under arrest and will be sent off to a privately run grammar jail.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 11:07:32 AM »
Well, now you're under arrest and will be sent off to a privately-run grammar jail.

=D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 01:41:32 PM »
Well now you're under arrest and will be sent off to a privately run grammar jail.

Spellcheck is your worst enema.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 02:54:02 PM »
I'm a little fuzzy on the concept.  How do private police enforce public laws?  From where do the police derive their authority?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 03:07:55 PM »
I'm a little fuzzy on the concept.  How do private police enforce public laws?  From where do the police derive their authority?

I see it like the traffic cameras. You are charged a civil penalty for speeding or running a red light but it doesn't go on your driving record.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 03:29:38 PM »
I see it like the traffic cameras. You are charged a civil penalty for speeding or running a red light but it doesn't go on your driving record.

So with private police, if you rob a bank and get caught you pay a fine but you don't go to prison and it doesn't make you a felon (as in prohibited person)? Maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 03:55:51 PM »
So with private police, if you rob a bank and get caught you pay a fine but you don't go to prison and it doesn't make you a felon (as in prohibited person)? Maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.

Pretty much, unless you have a system to hold the private police accountable to enforce the laws, courts still prosecute. Then you will need to government employee regulators to hold the private police to those standards.

Uranus is a gas giant.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 05:49:19 PM »

Same place public cops do. They have guns.

They grab you and drag you in front of a judge for trial. If you refuse, they shoot you.

(Only sorta kidding)

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 07:26:07 PM »
Once a Government or State cannot protect people and property it ceases to have a reason to exist. Why should you continue to pay taxes to them   ???

I would just pay the private policeman to keep the taxman away from my door, yanowatimeen?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"