Author Topic: "Altered Carbon" on Netflix  (Read 475 times)

dogmush

• friend
"Altered Carbon" on Netflix
« on: February 06, 2018, 07:43:03 AM »
Netflix has a relatively quietly released a new original show out called Altered Carbon.  It's based on a Richard K. Morgan sci-fi novel of the same name.

The broad strokes of the plot are that humanity has found a way to digitize consciousness and move it back and forth between bodies.  So you can get custom made bodies, if you're rich you can basically live forever just getting new bodies, if you're a criminal your body can be handed out to other folks while you're in "jail" etc.  There are religious implications to living forever, and what is "human" and ethical implications to never dying.  Our hero is an ex-gov spec ops guy/spook/troubleshooter like the guy in Serenity that is pulled out 250 years after he was shot and "died" and asked to investigate the murder of a rich old dude.  There are conspiracies, fights, assassination attempts, creative torture and a bunch of interesting characters.

I will admit to having loved the book series that the show is based on.  I've read the entire set several times and it's one of my favorite dystopian future stories.  Loving the book is not normally a recipe for me liking the screen adaptation, but so far (I'm on episode 6 of 10) I am really enjoying the show.  They changed some things from the novel, but they are not that critical to the narrative, and serve to streamline things that would have to be explained through an exposition dump, which would stall the episodes. If I didn't know the story already, I wouldn't spot the changes.  The show is really good.

The show (and the books) are pretty violent, hyper-sexualized noir, so they aren't for everyone.  Morgan uses coarse language and graphic sex scenes to try and (I think) shock the reader a little.  Netflix uses a lot of blood and nudity (male and female) to set a similar tone, but none of it feels gratuitous, it's just part of this particular future world.

If dystopian noir sci-fi is your kind of thing, check it out.  It's a really good show.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: "Altered Carbon" on Netflix
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 08:26:12 AM »
I've watched a few episodes.  I like it so far.  I haven't read the book, so I don't notice the differences.  I would like more background on where the tech comes from as I understand it's of alien origin (originating race is long gone as I understand).

Chris