Author Topic: The Middle Class Tax Cuts Will Expire!  (Read 1022 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Middle Class Tax Cuts Will Expire!
« on: February 06, 2018, 09:15:20 AM »
I keep seeing this used as an anti-tax cut talking point by the dems. While, yes, it is in the legislation, I have yet to see any evidence that Republicans wanted/pushed it.

Have any of you seen any documentation that the R's WANTED an expiration vs "lived with it" because otherwise they couldn't get the votes? I'm honestly curious, because IMO, the R's haven't thrown the "expiration" talking point back in the faces of the D's, which should be an easy thing to do PR-wise.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The Middle Class Tax Cuts Will Expire!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 09:55:12 AM »

So we'll all die again?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 09:56:16 AM »
I keep seeing this used as an anti-tax cut talking point by the dems. While, yes, it is in the legislation, I have yet to see any evidence that Republicans wanted/pushed it.

Have any of you seen any documentation that the R's WANTED an expiration vs "lived with it" because otherwise they couldn't get the votes? I'm honestly curious, because IMO, the R's haven't thrown the "expiration" talking point back in the faces of the D's, which should be an easy thing to do PR-wise.

Ted Cruz did so on twitter to Bernie. https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2018/01/09/mic-drop-ted-cruz-calls-on-sanders-and-dems-to-make-tax-cuts-permanent-triggers-wall-of-stupid/

Of course, no one in the media reports that.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 10:29:13 AM »
Ultimately all "tax cuts" are susceptible to  expiring,  if for no other reason than the opposing party will assume power and vote them away in Kongress.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 10:31:40 AM »
They needed dem votes to make them permanent. Let's see the media get right on that story.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 10:32:30 AM »
Ultimately all "tax cuts" are susceptible to  expiring,  if for no other reason than the opposing party will assume power and vote them away in Kongress.

This is a good point.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 11:46:54 AM »

That is the way I look at it.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.