Author Topic: Okay Virginia Members - Fess Up  (Read 1141 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Okay Virginia Members - Fess Up
« on: February 06, 2018, 09:56:50 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Okay Virginia Members - Fess Up
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 10:26:19 AM »
Not me.

My flamethrower is HUGE! The largest ever!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 10:55:39 AM »
That flamethrower is a nice size.  I wonder if he bought it or built it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 11:48:55 AM »
Weak. I guess I need to demo mine for you heathens.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 11:56:37 AM »
Weak. I guess I need to demo mine for you heathens.

Yes, please.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 01:28:25 PM »
Izzat a standard Weed Burner farmers use for ag burns?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 02:24:44 PM »
Not a bad idea...

https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-61595.html

For $30 at Harbor Freight, a propane torch, and a $20 refill on one of my propane tanks, and no more shoveling!
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 03:39:12 PM »
Not a bad idea...

https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-61595.html

For $30 at Harbor Freight, a propane torch, and a $20 refill on one of my propane tanks, and no more shoveling!

I have the older (no built-in igniter) version of that. It has some uses, but it doesn't launch a flame 20 or 30 feet long. It's more like a big plumber's torch. It has it's uses, but it's not what I'd choose for clearing a foot of snow off the driveway.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 06:41:46 PM »
I have the older (no built-in igniter) version of that. It has some uses, but it doesn't launch a flame 20 or 30 feet long. It's more like a big plumber's torch. It has it's uses, but it's not what I'd choose for clearing a foot of snow off the driveway.

Okay, I was thinking a few inches at most. More common around here.  That and ice would be good for a garden torch, so long as refreeze wasn't a concern.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 06:44:30 PM »
Not me and definitely not Dad.

There's no way in hell I'd let him have a flamethrower after the incident with the trash barrel.  :facepalm:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 07:52:41 PM »
Not me and definitely not Dad.

There's no way in hell I'd let him have a flamethrower after the incident with the trash barrel.  :facepalm:

You can't mention the "incident with the trash barrel" without providing more details!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 08:03:02 PM »
Okay, I was thinking a few inches at most. More common around here.  That and ice would be good for a garden torch, so long as refreeze wasn't a concern.

Around here refreeze is always a concern. Using a torch on a few inches of snow would be a great way to convert driveable snow into slippery ice. Probably not a good trade-off.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 08:34:18 PM »
Around here refreeze is always a concern. Using a torch on a few inches of snow would be a great way to convert driveable snow into slippery ice. Probably not a good trade-off.

Clearly the solution is more flamethrower.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 08:35:22 PM »

Even not living in snow country, that was my first thought as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 08:46:36 PM »
You can't mention the "incident with the trash barrel" without providing more details!

Once upon a time, Dad was really broke and the first bill that went was the trash service. Dad's solution was to get a barrel from our redneck neighbor who also burned trash and start burning our trash.
Now, Dad really enjoyed burning trash. He also likes it when things Kaboom, so he wasn't always so careful about what shouldn't be burned. It was basically every environmentalists worst nightmare. A further complication was the location of the trash barrel. I had built up a nice backstop for a little range right along the back of the trailer. Dad (of course) used my backstop and, as is his habit, junked it up with his "targets" so I stopped using it. The trash barrel was put in the range of fire. Dad did not hesitate to shoot said trash barrel when shooting at his other junk.
All this happened back before I started putting my foot down about certain things and it went on for years.

So, picture the scene... Well, actually, if it was daylight I could have real pictures for you, since that mess is still partially there. I haven't gotten to it yet and Dad's version of "cleaning up" is pretty hit or miss. Anyway, small clearing running along the back of the trailer with a burned up, rusted and holey barrel, half filled with ash and *expletive deleted*it that didn't burn, surrounded by bits of trash and whatnot that didn't make it into the barrel. Plus, leaves, grass and forest debris.

One evening, after dark, I was sitting at my desk, surfing the web, which is right in front of the windows that look out on the charming scene depicted above, when I think "Hmmm... There is a lot more flickering light than is normal for trash burning reflecting into the trailer..."
I look out and yep, the back yard is on fire.   :O I start screaming "DAD!!! DAD!!!!" but there is no Dad to be found. Being a proactive type of girl, I slipped on my flip flops, grabbed the fire extinguisher that had been sitting in the back hall for years because landlady had wanted us to have one and run out in my summer pjs (shorts, people, shorts and a freeking tank top) to fight the fire.
Did I mention that there is no lighting out back? No porch light, no flood light. Just whatever came through the windows... Well, and the *expletive deleted*ing fire. It is not fun to be tripping around in flip flops and shorts on uneven ground with all sorts of crap to trip on and trying to put out a fire.

By the time Dad reappeared I had the blaze mostly out. He'd been off walking the dogs.  :facepalm: I handed him the spent fire extinguisher, told him in no uncertain terms that he was going to stay out there until the whole area was soaked with water, that he would never burn trash again and stormed back inside.

I love my Dad, but there are some things were his common sense goes right out the window and his inner caveman takes over. Fire is one of those things.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 08:59:24 PM »
LOL!  I had to ask, I had a traumatic burn barrel incident years ago.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 08:04:49 AM »
I (briefly) considered this, but refreeze and inefficiency (snow is on the ground and heat rises) kept me from trying incendiary snow removal when I lived up north.

If you like, try computing the amount of thermal energy it would take to remove - not just melt, but remove - a foot of snow from a 900 square foot driveway with ambient temps at zero F and a 20 MPH wind . . .  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 08:10:37 AM »
"If you like, try computing the amount of thermal energy it would take to remove - not just melt, but remove - a foot of snow from a 900 square foot driveway with ambient temps at zero F and a 20 MPH wind . . ."

It would be cheaper to move to Florida.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.