Author Topic: California Judge Rules Baker Can Refuse Cake  (Read 1983 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
California Judge Rules Baker Can Refuse Cake
« on: February 07, 2018, 06:52:51 AM »
Interesting, especially coming out of California.

Still waiting on the Diana and the Supremes to rule on the Colorado case.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/article198654304.html
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: California Judge Rules Baker Can Refuse Cake
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 07:14:17 AM »
An interesting distinction, and I guess I find it reasonable. But this case is under state law, and only at the county level -- the other case is under Federal law. It makes for a curious dichotomy.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:03:45 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:09:48 AM »
An interesting distinction, and I guess I find it reasonable. But this case is under statelaw, and only at the county level -- the other case is under Federal law. It makes for a curious dichotomy.

Also, FWIW, Kern County is one of the most conservative counties in the state. I'm not sure there are other areas of the state where this would have played out in the same way.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 09:12:00 AM »
"But this case is under statelaw, and only at the county level -- the other case is under Federal law. It makes for a curious dichotomy."

That's why I specifically mentioned California AND the Supremes in the same sentence.

If the high court upholds Colorado's law it will (or likely will) invalidate the California ruling because they were brought with the same argument. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 09:14:51 AM »
It's all Donald Trump's fault that two LGBTINGTANGWALLAWALLABINGBANG will have no sugary carbs at their wedding. They will die of malnutrition. It's a hate crime.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »
Well, anyone else think a higher court will overturn this rapidly?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 09:46:32 AM »
Well, anyone else think a higher court will overturn this rapidly?

Well, seeing it happened in CA, so it would escalate to the 9th, so, yeah. Unless Trump keeps doing what he's doing with the under the radar getting young conservative judges into circuit court positions.  >:D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 09:47:02 AM »
It would go to the California Supreme Court first, wouldn't it? Or the appellate court before the state supreme court?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 09:47:57 AM »
It would go to the California Supreme Court first, wouldn't it?

Well, yeah, but then how am I going to get my circuit court comment in?  :laugh:

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 05:59:05 PM »
I actually like this ruling: reads as actually fair and reasonable. Scary
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 06:16:16 PM »
I actually like this ruling: reads as actually fair and reasonable. Scary

Which is why it won't stand appeal in Commifornia.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 08:05:24 AM »
I never checked it out super-legally, but when I had my store, my impression was I could 86 anybody for any reason, or no reason whatsoever, excepting for purely racial reasons, of course.

That whole case bothered me on that basis... right or wrong on my part.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 08:52:34 AM »
I never checked it out super-legally, but when I had my store, my impression was I could 86 anybody for any reason, or no reason whatsoever, excepting for purely racial reasons, of course.

That whole case bothered me on that basis... right or wrong on my part.

The problem is... business owners should be able to 86 people for any reason, no matter if the reason is good or bad... when the courts declared businesses don't have freedom of association to be racist aholes, they opened the floodgates to all this stuff.

If you can violate the freedom of association of a person bigoted against black people, you can violate the freedom of association of a person "bigoted" against homosexuals. 

Now people have the idea that they have the "right" to force a person to do business with them.... they have a "right" to force a person to offer them the same wage as another person and so on.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 09:24:24 AM »
The problem is... business owners should be able to 86 people for any reason, no matter if the reason is good or bad... when the courts declared businesses don't have freedom of association to be racist aholes, they opened the floodgates to all this stuff.

If you can violate the freedom of association of a person bigoted against black people, you can violate the freedom of association of a person "bigoted" against homosexuals. 

Now people have the idea that they have the "right" to force a person to do business with them.... they have a "right" to force a person to offer them the same wage as another person and so on.

True. Freedom is too scary.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife