Author Topic: Bloomberg Article on Slowing Gun Sales  (Read 1909 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Bloomberg Article on Slowing Gun Sales
« on: February 07, 2018, 08:30:51 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-06/why-are-gun-sales-falling?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=bd&utm_campaign=headline&cmpId=yhoo.headline&yptr=yahoo

Be sure to check out their assertions that:

Fewer people are owning guns.

Fewer gun owners are owning more guns.

Companies are marketing only to established gunowners.

Three strikes and you are out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Bloomberg Article on Slowing Gun Sales
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 09:58:18 AM »
Fewer people are owning guns.
Explain the 2 new shooters (as of 2017) I know.

Fewer gun owners are owning more guns.
Maybe the established gun owners are *buying* more guns, but I wouldn't say "fewer" gun owners...

Companies are marketing only to established gunowners.
Do they not look at some of the new releases lately?  Many are targeted toward new owners.  S&W's latest 380 is a great example.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 10:04:41 AM »
I think we've touched on the subject of the possible "decline" in gun owners over the years.

I personally think it has a LOT more to do with people simply not answering, or outright lying, when they're surveyed on the subject of guns and the data are being further and further skewed, especially in during political administrations that view gun ownership as treasonous, criminal, etc.

I know I refuse to answer questions about gunownership when asked by a survey organization or my doctor.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »
That will change when the democrats are in charge.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 10:11:11 AM »
I do own more guns, but I ain't buying them all.  

Look at what is happening in some of the blue states.  Liberal politicians have been enacting registration schemes and cops have been going around confiscating guns for one reason or another**.  Is it any wonder people would decline to answer gun survey questions?

** Hawaii was going around confiscating guns from people with wacky weed permits or whatever they call it.
**New York was cross referencing hospital drug and psychiatric treatment reports and using that to confiscate guns. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 10:39:48 AM »
I do own more guns, but I ain't buying them all.  

Look at what is happening in some of the blue states.  Liberal politicians have been enacting registration schemes and cops have been going around confiscating guns for one reason or another**.  Is it any wonder people would decline to answer gun survey questions?

** Hawaii was going around confiscating guns from people with wacky weed permits or whatever they call it.
**New York was cross referencing hospital drug and psychiatric treatment reports and using that to confiscate guns. 

But gun confiscation is something that only happens in NRA propaganda. No one wants to confiscate guns.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »
I think we've touched on the subject of the possible "decline" in gun owners over the years.

I personally think it has a LOT more to do with people simply not answering, or outright lying, when they're surveyed on the subject of guns and the data are being further and further skewed, especially in during political administrations that view gun ownership as treasonous, criminal, etc.

I know I refuse to answer questions about gunownership when asked by a survey organization or my doctor.

Word. When you're not only demonized, but might also be targeted, why on Earth would you participate? I still do, sometimes. When I'd prefer my information to remain private however, or else when I just get sick of arguing (remember what state I live in), I zip my lips.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 05:55:44 PM »

Ditto for surveys.

For doctors -- I lie. I worry about what a refusal to answer will generate as a chart entry. I'm not under oath when filling out a patient information form at a doctor's office, so I don't have any guns at home. (Which, according to my drill sergeant, is true. The Army issues handguns and/or rifles to individual soldiers. "Guns" are artillery, or on Navy warships.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 06:32:04 PM »
But gun confiscation is something that only happens in NRA propaganda. No one wants to confiscate guns.

Sarcasm?  The lack of emoticons leads me to believe you are serious.  I would whole heartedly disagree.  I think plenty of the left would love to take your guns.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 06:46:58 PM »
This is all my fault; I have not bought a gun in two years.

Mea Culpa.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:32:32 PM by Fly320s »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 06:49:13 PM »
Sarcasm?  The lack of emoticons leads me to believe you are serious.  I would whole heartedly disagree.  I think plenty of the left would love to take your guns.

We don't need no stinking emoticons!

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 07:03:19 PM »

We don't need no stinking emoticons!

Better.  For a bit the world felt off kilter!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 05:04:37 PM »
Thought I'd resurrect this one just to stick it into the eye of the erstwhile Bloomberg organization once again...

Sure... gun sales are slowing, and fewer and fewer people are buying their first gun... and they're all white people...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/first-time-gun-buyers-notch-projected-to-top-8m-smith-wesson

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 05:08:12 PM »
First-time gun buyers projected to top 8M

And I bet 3/4 of them voted for Biden  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 07:11:08 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 07:09:45 PM »
Ditto for surveys.

For doctors -- I lie. I worry about what a refusal to answer will generate as a chart entry. I'm not under oath when filling out a patient information form at a doctor's office, so I don't have any guns at home. (Which, according to my drill sergeant, is true. The Army issues handguns and/or rifles to individual soldiers. "Guns" are artillery, or on Navy warships.)

Speaking as healthcare, we usually don't care if you lie or refuse to answer. We care if you are a danger to yourself or others with a gun. Feel free to lie or ignore the question, just like people do about alcohol, tobacco, diet, exercise, sex, flossing, and mental health.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 11:46:37 PM »
Speaking as healthcare, we usually don't care if you lie or refuse to answer. We care if you are a danger to yourself or others with a gun. Feel free to lie or ignore the question, just like people do about alcohol, tobacco, diet, exercise, sex, flossing, and mental health.

I wish I could believe you but, with the AMA and the pediatricians so vehemently against firearms ownership, I am not prepared to accept that doctors don't care whether or not I own guns. And I'm also not prepared to accept that if I decline to answer it won't be interpreted as a "Yep -- he owns guns" response, and possibly recorded that way. I'm sure it will be interpreted that way, whether or not it's recorded as a "Yes."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 12:28:02 AM »
Interesting that you think the AMA and pediatrics represent all of healthcare. Do you think the NRA represent all gun owners?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 01:10:22 AM »
Interesting that you think the AMA and pediatrics represent all of healthcare. Do you think the NRA represent all gun owners?

I never said they represent all doctors. But they represent a lot of doctors, and I have no way of knowing if a doctor I'm about to see is pro-gun or anti-gun so I prefer not to take the chance that he/she might not be anti-gun.

And that's even more strongly my position now that so many practices are being bought up by a few major hospitals, and all the records are going into EPIC. The doctor I see today may not be anti-gun, but a whole bunch of anti-gun doctors now have access to my records.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 06:00:57 AM »
It no longer matters what you answer on surveys, Dr. questionnaires, or anything.

There are now enough or soon will be enough liberal "moles" embedded in both local and national governmental structures that they can weed out  ("data mine") any kind of behavior they want to from existing records.  And remember: "The end justifies the means."

And there are enough judges around that it is not hard to shop around for a judge who will endorse anything under left-wing political pressure.

Horrified?  Paranoia?  Stuff of science fiction?

Go ahead, call me paranoid.

But I'm afraid the see-saw is now stuck to the ground on one side.

Terry, 230RN

Worth reading in its entirety for the purpose of drawing parallels to today's situation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammany_Hall
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 07:49:46 AM by 230RN »

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 11:34:35 AM »
I always chuckle when I read about local government engaging in secret activities like data mining to locate the gun owners, etc., in preparation for action against that group.  I've worked in local government for 25 years.  What I've learned:

-There is no such thing as a secret in local government.   As soon as a third person knows the secret, it ain't a secret.  Between water cooler talk and social media, word spreads about everything.
- Local government is terribly inefficient.  Yeah, we can get business done.  But only after a long period of failures to work out the kinks.  Example...office supplies.  I work at the court.  We have boat loads of papers needing signatures from people coming in to do business.  They usually need a pen (don't bring their own).  So, they bought pens to have on hand.  But they suck and the ink smears and ruins the documents.  So we asked for a new pen.  Finance said no first.  Too expensive.  Get them to finally agree to a different pen, and the Sheriff's department vetoed the new pen.  Apparently, it's too point and the plastic is too hard, so it's a security risk.  Find one they agree to, and a different part of the Sheriff's department vetoes, because the metal clip can be used to open handcuffs (if bent just right and used by a skilled person).  Find another one, and it gets shot down by a politician because the vendor is a supporter of the wrong party...

Local government ain't gonna be able to take your guns.  We are too busy arguing about where to buy the papers to make that happen...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 01:25:55 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2020, 01:54:53 PM »
Please put me down for two of those computer/printer systems.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2020, 02:04:36 PM »
Please put me down for two of those computer/printer systems.

Back ordered to at least Nov 2024
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2020, 06:56:18 PM »
From someone I highly respect and admire:

I always chuckle when I read about local government engaging in secret activities like data mining to locate the gun owners, etc., in preparation for action against that group.  I've worked in local government for 25 years.  What I've learned:

-There is no such thing as a secret in local government.   As soon as a third person knows the secret, it ain't a secret.  Between water cooler talk and social media, word spreads about everything.
- Local government is terribly inefficient.  Yeah, we can get business done.  But only after a long period of failures to work out the kinks.  Example...office supplies.  

Local government ain't gonna be able to take your guns.  We are too busy arguing about where to buy the papers to make that happen...

I rebut:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(espionage)
(Note the emphasis on secrecy.  They wear ties and go to office parties, too, and bring cocktail franks and beans.)

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=63261.msg1283121#msg1283121

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=MS-13+infiltration&t=h_&ia=web
(Cited only as an example. "They wear ties too and go to office parties,and bring cocktail franks and beans.")
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 05:32:34 AM by 230RN »