Author Topic: The new non-NFA short-barrel shotguns  (Read 3682 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: The new non-NFA short-barrel shotguns
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 08:45:31 AM »
I get the cool factor, but I will still argue against any real practical use.
In typical interior rooms and halls, give me a .45 handgun and leave one hand free for a flashlight, opening doors, signaling, etc.
Outside areas out to 40-50 yards or so, I'm happy with a full stock shotgun or a carbine. 
That thing is nothing but a Hollywood-inspired abomination. I predict they will sell a bunch of them anyway.
Why hasn't somebody put a bayonet lug on one yet?
What we have here is failure to communicate.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 08:54:18 AM »
Guns don't have to be practical or the best solution to a problem.  Sometimes they can be cool looking and fun to shoot. 

I wouldn't buy one as a  personal defense gun, but given a few hundred dollars of "play money", I'd be all over it just for the giggle factor.

Chris

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 09:16:16 AM »
Some of the reasons I like PGO's for home defense... Soft lead shot, even 0000 buck, has a bit less over-penetration potential relative to a jacketed projectile. The firearm's length makes it far more maneuverable in a home defense scenario versus a shoulder-stocked shotty.

Caveat:  Use what you're comfortable with.

About that "a bit less over-penetration,"  a .38" 80g lead ball at 1,200 FPS will penetrate the same as a FMJ 9mm 124g at 1,000 FPS according to the Box O' Truth guys.  Here is the rifle and shotgun test: https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/

If you dig around, you'll find similar results for all of the FMJ pistol rounds he tests.  The only load that doesn't penetrate more than one wall is birdshot.

I couldn't find any tests of 0000 buckshot into ballistic gellatin, but I did find plenty of 000 buck tests.  The 000 buck often penetrates more than 16 inches of gel.  Most hollow-point pistol rounds most often stop in 16 inches of gel.  No, that doesn't prove pistols are better or that shotguns will shoot through houses, but it should make you think about the fact that your shotgun ammo will most likely go through six walls, just like your .357 will.

Again, use what you're comfortable with and what works.  Just don't make that decision on the false idea that 0000 buck from a 3 inch shell will have less overpenetration that a typical pistol round.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 09:19:17 AM »
You lack imagination, sir. One demerit.

Brad

What if we make it mag-fed?   >:D [ar15]

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590m-mag-fed/

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 09:34:59 AM »
So what are the classified as?  They are too cheap to be AOW's.  (I think the transfer fee is only $5, but still a $200 tax to manufacture it.)

I like the Remington; do they make it in a 20 gauge?
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 09:37:19 AM »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2018, 09:49:48 AM »
So what are the classified as?  They are too cheap to be AOW's.  (I think the transfer fee is only $5, but still a $200 tax to manufacture it.)

I like the Remington; do they make it in a 20 gauge?

They are classified as "firearms"  just like a pistol or rifle or shotgun.  They are not regulated by the NFA.

Here is a good run down on the how and why: https://www.ffl123.com/no-nonsense-non-nfa-14-inch-scatterguns/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2018, 09:57:35 AM »
For $30, just out of curiosity, I might order one of those Shockwave stocks to try on one of my 18" barrel shotguns, just to see the difference between the Birdshead and the "standard" pistol grip.

Just for fun. As others have said, use whatever works for you. I'm just in the camp that for serious work, if it has a long barrel, I want the shoulder thing that goes up. Not that my mind couldn't be changed though. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2018, 10:07:25 AM »
Caveat:  Use what you're comfortable with.

About that "a bit less over-penetration,"  a .38" 80g lead ball at 1,200 FPS will penetrate the same as a FMJ 9mm 124g at 1,000 FPS according to the Box O' Truth guys.  Here is the rifle and shotgun test: https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/

First, a correction... I had had the wrong ammo in mind when I was typing the previous reply. I said 0000 and that's in error. It's 000.  Remington 3", to be precise. Checked the ammo closet last night just to be sure. Previous post edited to reflect the correct info.

Interesting on the Box O Truth link. I'd like to see a direct comparison of .357 to 000 buck (standard soft lead shot) as that's what I have. I use Hydra Shok in the .357 and it's advertised at 1240 FPS. It'd be a good apples-to-apples comparison with the 1225 FPS (advertised) 3" Remmy 000 loads.

I'd like to see what happens if they placed walls on a slight oblique, and with standard studding. In a home invasion scenario rarely will there be just a piece of perfectly perpendicular sheet rock between you and whatever you don't want to hit. My guess is the penetration for shot will show a noticeable reduction when encountering studs, although this will likely be offset by the fact that there are multiple projectiles per load vs. the single projectile for a handgun.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2018, 10:52:26 AM »
If I bought one I'd also have to get the post-apocalyptic over-the-back scabbard to go with.
I was thinking of putting a lanyard hole through the stock (or attaching a loop) and setting it up under an overcoat like Reese from Terminator. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2018, 11:50:48 AM »
For $30, just out of curiosity, I might order one of those Shockwave stocks to try on one of my 18" barrel shotguns, just to see the difference between the Birdshead and the "standard" pistol grip.

Just for fun. As others have said, use whatever works for you. I'm just in the camp that for serious work, if it has a long barrel, I want the shoulder thing that goes up. Not that my mind couldn't be changed though. :)

I have looked on the Shockwave site, and so far they are not making a grip for the Ithaca 37.  I should ask them to do so.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2018, 01:45:47 PM »
A thought...if you can legally put a "brace" on a handgun without created an SBR under NFA laws, could you put a brace on one of these without creating NFA problems?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2018, 04:32:42 PM »
A thought...if you can legally put a "brace" on a handgun without created an SBR under NFA laws, could you put a brace on one of these without creating NFA problems?

Folks are way ahead of you.

https://www.tactical-life.com/gear/accessories/sb-tactical-tac-14-shockwave-braces/

https://suarezinternational.com/mossberg-shockwave-pdw-kit/

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2018, 09:08:37 PM »
When it came to the Shockwave, I decided that discretion was the better part of valor.

I handed it back to Dad after standing there for about two minutes trying to figure out how the hell I was going to shoot it without loosing it.
So it's now the second gun I can't/won't shoot, the other being the Cruiser, because it's just an accident waiting to happen. I'm game for recoil, I'm cool with a little pain and I'll work through those things, but I'm not messing with something I literally cannot keep a grip on and is going to go flying through the air.

That said, Dad also has trouble with it and he's great with the Cruiser. He's been able to work at it and improve, but there was a learning curve on it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2018, 09:12:01 PM »
If I have money for a stamp I want to get one of those three barrel Chiappa abominations and chop it to 6" and make a hip holster for it. Because pirates or something.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2018, 09:56:37 PM »
"or something."

Didn't some NYPD types carry a shorty SxS 20 ga.? What's wrong with that?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2018, 03:46:26 AM »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila