Author Topic: What caliber for floating Space-X booster in the ocean?  (Read 559 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
What caliber for floating Space-X booster in the ocean?
« on: February 08, 2018, 07:28:15 PM »
http://www.iflscience.com/space/the-us-air-force-may-have-blown-up-a-spacex-rocket-booster-that-was-stranded-in-the-ocean/

And what airframe did they use?  This would seem tailor-made for an A-10 and the cannon.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: What caliber for floating Space-X booster in the ocean?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 07:49:52 PM »
WTF?

“This rocket was meant to test very high retro-thrust landing in water so it didn’t hurt the drone ship, but amazingly it has survived,” SpaceX CEO Elon Musk tweeted on January 31. “We will try to tow it back to shore.”

I call BS. If the plan was to land it in water and NOT have it survive -- why was there a drone ship out there, and why were the SpaceX telecasters so long-faced when they lost contact with the booster? Having it land in the water was NOT the plan, Elon -- come on. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:16:20 PM »
WTF?

I call BS. If the plan was to land it in water and NOT have it survive -- why was there a drone ship out there, and why were the SpaceX telecasters so long-faced when they lost contact with the booster? Having it land in the water was NOT the plan, Elon -- come on. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.
Different booster. This was from a January 31 launch.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 09:10:42 PM »
Sorry ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design