Author Topic: small EDC flashlights  (Read 593 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
small EDC flashlights
« on: February 09, 2018, 03:21:58 PM »
I read a good book on survival a while back and the importance of a good flashlight could not be overstated. The author said some of the 9/11 WTC survivors said they only made it out of burning towers because they were part of a group were somebody had a flashlight.
I have always appreciated a good flashlight. My wife sometimes makes fun of me because she doesn't see why anyone would need more than 1 (likely a cheap old 2-D plastic rayovac or something). That doesn't mean she hasn't been glad to use one of my "real" flashlights at certain times. She thinks its silly to spend the money for something like a surefire. I gave her a Surefire G2 Nitrolon but when the CR123's died she didn't know where I keep my spares and she took it out of her purse. It is currently missing.
I have a G2 with a Malkoff Device mod that I like and another 2 Surefire LEDs that see some use but all use CR123's.
My wife is traveling to Costa Rica in a week or so and I ordered an Olight S1A and told her she has to take it and carry it. She gripes about me increasing her purse load but I'm insisting. and since she is leaving her Glock 43 behind it will feel lighter anyway.
The Olight is a single AA up to 600 lumens with a single 14500 battery. modes from moonlight (25 days run time) and nightlight to L/M/H plus Turbo with autoreg for another 30 minutes after battery rundown.

https://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-s1a.html?utm_source=2-1-2018-OLIGHT-S1A-HERO&utm_medium=ysw_home_block_6&utm_campaign=responsiveTemplate
What we have here is failure to communicate.

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: small EDC flashlights
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 06:41:33 PM »
I've been carrying a Streamlight Stylus Pro (2 AAA batteries) for a couple of years.  Not the smallest, but I kept losing smaller lights.  I clip it in my left pocket, just like the knife in my right pocket.  When flying, I stick it in my carry on bag.  Never a hint of a problem with TSA.  A friend suggested a light that uses lithium batteries. I like being able to buy replacements anywhere.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 06:56:58 PM »
Those are some nice lumens on that Olight. After rotating through a bunch of EDC lights - some with good lumens but too big, and others unobtrusive in my pocket but a bit underpowered,  I settled on the Fenix E15.

https://www.amazon.com/E15-Flashlight-ARB-L16-700U-rechargeable-EdisonBright/dp/B0184O2JE8/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1518219867&sr=1-6&keywords=fenix+e15&dpID=51F5RoUKV6L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

It's neither too fat nor too long, but has great light output. A downside for some might be the twist on/off, however given this isn't a "tactical" light (for me) I'm fine with it. The super bright lights with the end cap on/off sit on my nightstand for the "grab a gun and a light" bump in the night.

I have a Streamlight 2L with the AA battery option that I take traveling as an additional light (just stays in my travel ruck). Just for any minor SHTF situation where I might need extra light or more light, as I don't carry the charger for the Fenix battery around with me. Plus if I'm traveling in my vehicle, I probably have a half dozen various light sources stashed in door pockets, car kits, etc. :)

Though I also got one of these for Christmas this year:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AD7IN12/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know how durable it will be, but it's super lightweight and actually pretty darn bright. I was thinking of getting one or two more if they come up on sale just to toss wherever. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it will be a good tent lantern for the backpacking tent.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 07:15:58 PM »
I've been carrying Zebralight 1xAA for a couple years. I put in a 14500 lithium sometimes which doubles the brightness. Couldn't be happier.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 07:11:40 AM »
These days most everyone has a usable flashlight in the form of a cell phone.

That said, I carry a Fenix E12 in my pocket.  Under $30, uses a single AA, cycles easily between 8, 50, and 130 lumens.

https://www.amazon.com/E12-flashlight-EdisonBright-alkaline-battery/dp/B00I9W7MRK/

This Thorfire looks like a decent choice for someone on a tighter budget. $15.

https://www.amazon.com/ThorFire-Flashlight-Powered-Included-Upgraded/dp/B06XQ4TY45/
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln