Author Topic: Developer fined for repairing damage done to his building.  (Read 1608 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Developer fined for repairing damage done to his building.
« on: February 12, 2018, 10:30:40 PM »
This is ridiculous.

Vandals deface a building, the property owner paints over it and gets fined by an angry and totally out-of-bounds judge.

This kind of overreach has to be stopped somehow.

EDIT: Turns out the building isn't even there anymore so what does it matter?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Developer fined for repairing damage done to his building.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:53:18 PM »
This is ridiculous.

Vandals deface a building, the property owner paints over it and gets fined by an angry and totally out-of-bounds judge.

I'm going to note that it was less about painting over the art and more that he did it against court orders.  

Also, given that the graffiti apparently reached "art" status, it protected under special rules, which he may have been informed of if he bought the building after it was given that status.

The art was apparently nearly 20 years old when he whitewashed it, which was probably seen as an attempt to bypass the law and the Judge's decision.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 09:10:14 AM »
Still, those "special rules" need to be chucked out the door. If the government wants to enact such rules for bridge graffiti, or graffiti on other public property, that's one conversation. The idea that they can make such rules for my private property is outrageous. Somehow I'm thinking NY state still made the building owner pay his property taxes, while denying him full use of his property.

In fairness, I do wonder why the building owner didn't remove the graffiti as it was applied, or at least monthly or whatever. Leaving it there is only incentive for more criminals to deface his property. Not that it should affect legality. It would just have been a preventative measure - like spraying for cockroaches.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 09:20:39 AM »
"In fairness, I do wonder why the building owner didn't remove the graffiti as it was applied"

Did he own the building when it was first painted?

It's not a stretch to think that the building was abandoned or otherwise not used to potential and ignored or even abandoned by a previous owner. Common happening in New York City.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 09:28:40 AM »

It's not a stretch to think that the building was abandoned or otherwise not used to potential and ignored or even abandoned by a previous owner. Common happening in New York City.

To me, that would open up another can of worms. I would then wonder if something was stated in the real estate forms when he was purchasing the property. Much like disclosures for things like living by a railroad track, or more analogous, "right to farm", which alerts potential home buyers to the fact that the farmer was there first, so they don't get to move in and try and change things or take legal action for noise or dust.

If this was a local or state ordinance in effect before he bought the property, and he was aware of it, most of the onus shifts to him. If this was his building, abandoned or not, before the graffiti started, he has a much stronger case, IMO.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 09:44:13 AM »
Timeline looks like this:

Buildings were built in late 1800 as factories.
Developer (Wolkoff) buys buildings in 1971-72.  Starts leasing parts of the buildings to companies.
1990(ish) Wolkoff starts leasing parts of the buildings to artists as artist lofts.
Early 1990's (after artist leasing) the artists come to Wolkoff and ask permission to turn it into a legal "graffiti" mural area.  He grants this permission.
Folks spray paint the building until 2013 when Wolkoff decides to tear it down and build condos.
After announcement is made, but before demolition starts Artists sue Wolkoff under a 1990 New York law that allows for protection of "notable" artwork.  (kinda like some buildings are deemed "historic")
While the lawsuit is still being argued, Wolkoff paints over 45 of the disputed pictures overnight.
Judge tells Wolkoff he should have waited till the lawsuit was settled and judgement made, and fines him for jumping the gun.

I'm not seeing the overreach on the Judge's part.  The law might be bad (I haven't read it) and one could argue the "notability" of graffiti, but once it hits the courts you kinda gotta let the court have it's say.  That's the whole point of courts.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 09:54:51 AM »

Developer (Wolkoff) buys buildings in 1971-72.  Starts leasing parts of the buildings to companies.
1990(ish) Wolkoff starts leasing parts of the buildings to artists as artist lofts.
Early 1990's (after artist leasing) the artists come to Wolkoff and ask permission to turn it into a legal "graffiti" mural area.  He grants this permission.
Folks spray paint the building until 2013 when Wolkoff decides to tear it down and build condos.
After announcement is made, but before demolition starts Artists sue Wolkoff under a 1990 New York law that allows for protection of "notable" artwork.  (kinda like some buildings are deemed "historic")
While the lawsuit is still being argued, Wolkoff paints over 45 of the disputed pictures overnight.
Judge tells Wolkoff he should have waited till the lawsuit was settled and judgement made, and fines him for jumping the gun.

I'm not seeing the overreach on the Judge's part.  The law might be bad (I haven't read it) and one could argue the "notability" of graffiti, but once it hits the courts you kinda gotta let the court have it's say.  That's the whole point of courts.

That's significant information. Given all that (including the owner's prior act of giving permission to artists), I would agree that with a lawsuit in process, you need to let that play out. It's harder for me to argue that there was overreach by the judge for the ruling, though I might argue that it was too severe.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 10:08:52 AM »
OK, good information.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 12:47:35 PM »
I'm not seeing the overreach on the Judge's part.  
A $6,700,000 fine isn't over reach? Really?  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 02:23:35 PM »
A $6,700,000 fine isn't over reach? Really?  :facepalm:

He blew off the judge to move forward on a $400 million dollar development.  He was fined 1.6% of the value of the project.  What percentage of the development would have been appropriate to make sure that he felt the sting and that other developers watching don't decide to blow off lawsuits and just eat the fine?

10%?  15%?  0.00005%?

ETA:  It should be noted I'm not agreeing with New York's Law, or saying his development should have been stopped permanently just because he agreed to let some folks spray paint it in the 90's.  But the whole point of courts is to provide a supposedly fair outcome, and at least to some extant allow poorer folks a chance at parity with richer ones.  If we allow rich folks to not even wait for a decision and do whatever, with no real consequences then the courts become like being held in contempt of congress.   That is; they become useless.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 03:14:25 PM »
To me, at most, this was a $5000 "you upset the judge" slap-on-the-wrist fine.

6.7 million is just theft.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 04:31:43 PM »
To me, at most, this was a $5000 "you upset the judge" slap-on-the-wrist fine.

6.7 million is just theft.

I am guesstimating that the fine was based on X number of art pieces at Y value each, + penalties = $,$$$,$$$

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »

I see it as overreach. This wasn't protected art on a wall in a public park, this was art that was created on Wolkoff's wall (i.e. private property) by permission of Wolkoff. As the owner of the wall, and therefore the owner of the art, he should have a right to rescind permission for the "art" to exist at any time.

Which he did. That should have been the end of the case.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 06:21:25 PM »
Hawkmoon, the key phrase in my post was I didn't see overreach on the Judge's part.

The artists sued under the Visual Artists Rights Act.*  Which, among other things, says:

Quote from: 17 USC 106A
the author of a work of visual art—
(1)  shall have the right—
(A)   to claim authorship of that work, and

(B)   to prevent the use of his or her name as the author of any work of visual art which he or she did not create;

(2)   shall have the right to prevent the use of his or her name as the author of the work of visual art in the event of a distortion, mutilation, or other modification of the work which would be prejudicial to his or her honor or reputation; and

(3)  subject to the limitations set forth in section 113(d), shall have the right—
(A)   to prevent any intentional distortion, mutilation, or other modification of that work which would be prejudicial to his or her honor or reputation, and any intentional distortion, mutilation, or modification of that work is a violation of that right, and

(B)   to prevent any destruction of a work of recognized stature, and any intentional or grossly negligent destruction of that work is a violation of that right.

Bolding mine.  That law is DEFINATLY an overreach, but it is the law, and the judge needs to rule on the law as it is written.  The artists also have the right to make the case that their art falls under that (overreaching) law's protection.  Most of us here, most of the time, agree that Judges shouldn't make up laws or novel interpretations of them, and that separation of powers is a good thing.

If you don't think graffiti artists should get a say in private property that they have arted all over (I agree) take it up with congress.

*I have been calling this a New York law, it's apparently a Federal law.  Yea! just what we needed to legislate at the Federal Level.

**I may have been incorrect on the time line post.  It's not super clear without a lot of googling, but it's possible the lawsuit hadn't been filed at the time of whitewashing, and where he lost was "willfully" failing to give the notice required by the VARA before the graffiti's destruction.  Going through articles from Oct of 2013 it seems like several people had brought up VARA as a way to save the murals and his response was to paint over them in the middle of the night.

ETA: If the above is true, i.e the 6.7mil was damages solely from the destruction of the murals, as opposed to extra fines for disrespecting the courts, I am less OK with it.  One should be spanked hard for telling the justice system to "F off".  getting hit with $148,000 for each of 45 pictures for failing to give legal notice does seem a bit outlandish.  Unfortunately Google is so so full of artsy NY sites crowing in pleasure I can't find definitive details on how exactly it went down.

TLDR:  Yeah the law that says he can't paint his own wall sucks, I agree.  But it exists, and there's a lot of evidence that he knew about it, and just said *expletive deleted*ck You to the law and the artists.  That opened him to the civil liability.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:40:33 PM by dogmush »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 06:55:49 PM »
Dogmush -

The distinction is noted, but the bolded portion of the law you cited says that the law is intended "to prevent any destruction of a work of recognized stature." Of course, I don't have access to the full text of Wolkoff's brief or a transcript of his arguments, but if a judge is to rule on a law, he/she should certainly rule on whether or not that law is fair. This law appears to be another poorly-crafted law that had good intentions but failed to foresee possible implications.

Suppose you were an artist supply shop during the Renaissance, and a starving artist named Lenny DaVinci came in and said he had a great idea for a portrait but he needed a canvas of a certain size and he had no money to buy a canvas. You provide him a canvas and permission to paint on it. Doesn't that make you at least a partner in the ownership of the painting (unless you signed a contract giving him the canvas free and clear).

This case appears to me to fall under Constitutional provisions. Wolkoff, by virtue of some idiot declaring graffiti that exists because Wolkoff allowed the artist to use his wall to have "recognized stature." But it's still Wolkoff's wall and the law would deprive him of the use of his wall without compensation. If Wolkoff's lawyers didn't raise this issue, shame on them. If they did raise it and the judge decided against Wolkoff anyway -- shame on the judge.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 07:06:27 PM »
Good points.

I wonder what the arguments were on each side.

I agree that the law seems poorly worded, and doesn't seem to have even the level of protection for property owners that eminent domain laws provide.*  The whole law probably needs scrapped, and it's certainly not a federal issue.

*There's a sentance you don't get to type often.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 09:44:03 PM »
the judge needs to rule on the law as it is written

When the *expletive deleted*ck did that become a thing again? =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 10:01:52 PM »
When the *expletive deleted*ck did that become a thing again? =D

When conservative judges started ruling that liberal, feel-good laws are unconstitutional.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 12:38:44 AM »

I'm waiting for someone to successfully sue an ex girlfriend for washing away the blacklight masterpiece he left on her sheets.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 03:37:06 AM »
I'm waiting for someone to successfully sue an ex girlfriend for washing away the blacklight masterpiece he left on her sheets.

Part of the argument was that it had become a tourist attraction, which is what made it "significant".  As tourist attractions bring in money from outside, the city does have incentive to not allow it to be destroyed, much like how you're not allowed to just demolish or remodel into modern many historical buildings.

Given that they had permission, it wasn't vandalism.  Without his action, they would have been able to do a proper saving of the work - creating a virtual walkthrough that people could view and such. 

Unless the jizz-stained sheets are shown in some sort of art exhibit, good luck.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 07:51:13 AM »
Unless the jizz-stained sheets are shown in some sort of art exhibit, good luck.

Hmmm... I feel like we have something that could turn someone into a very wealthy and famous "artist"... =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic