Author Topic: Want to buy a brewery?  (Read 490 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Want to buy a brewery?
« on: February 13, 2018, 07:11:05 AM »
The Smuttynose brewery here in NH is going up for auction next month.  They make great beer and lots of it, but there are so many microbreweries that they can't compete with.

https://smuttynose.com/

The news story about why they are bankrupt: https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2018/01/18/smuttynose-brewing-company-sold-auction/CIVmnBbsCqCEuuZhwEYFRL/story.html

I hope someone buys them and keeps making their beers.  The Finest Kind IPA is my goto for an everyday beer.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Want to buy a brewery?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 07:59:23 AM »
I expect this trend to continue.  I think we're reaching peak microbrewery.  Here in NoVA, we've seen an explosion of regional breweries (known as Nanobreweries).  They're mostly good, but how many can a single market support?   We have two or three here in Manassas alone.  If one rode the 45 mile MUT known as the Washington & Old Dominion here in the NoVA/DC region and stopped at each Microbrewery within a mile or so of the trail, you'd die of alcohol poisoning before you reached the end.

That said, I think microdistilleries are the next thing.  Those are popping up around here as well.  Manassas has two.  There are a couple more I can think of in the NoVA region as well.  I'm sure there are more.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Want to buy a brewery?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 08:47:03 AM »
We are definitely seeing the pruning of the microbreweries here in the Seattle area.  For many of them, their best hope is to be bought out by someone bigger before they go belly up.  Tons and tons of them were started in a garage by a homebrewer with a passion, but successfully scaling it up and running it like a business eludes a lot of them.  The stereotypical microbrewery here was started up by a Boeing engineer or a Microsoft/Google/Amazon coder.  There are only so many hazy IPAs that a given market will support.  

Between a full-time job, outdoor recreation when the weather is good, and keeping up the house, I don't have time to spend my weekends making repeat tours of the local brewpubs and microbreweries.  What I can do is go to the local brewfests, makes notes of what I like, and then look for that brew at a local store or someplace close that I can fill up a growler.  I am sure that I am missing out on a lot of new brews, but I on average drink less than two beers a week, and I have to pick and choose in consideration of the time that I have to spend on it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.