Author Topic: People Will Die (Again)!!!!  (Read 1447 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
People Will Die (Again)!!!!
« on: February 13, 2018, 09:36:16 AM »
Now, according to the president of public broadcasting, people will die if government funding is pulled from PBS.  ;/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/13/trump-proposes-cutting-all-federal-funds-for-npr-pbs.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: People Will Die (Again)!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:05:16 AM »
Er muh gerds! Where will dentists and DMV's get their waiting area music? Oh the humanity...!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:41:23 AM »
As I've mentioned before  (not in so many words), this would be somewhat of a benchmark for me. Public broadcasting is sort of a low-hanging fruit, precisely because none will die [!!!]. It's not food for the homeless, or dental care for undocumented transgenders, or anything like that. If a politician won't support a total cut of all funding for something like that, I just don't see how they can be taken seriously about wanting to cut anything else.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 01:31:59 PM »
NPR is welfare for wealthy white progressives.  To hell with it.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »

The setup is similar to Planned Parenthood for me. Planned Parenthood and its supporters go off the rails when someone talks about cutting Federal funding, but it usually involves, "donate money to save Planned Parenthood!". And guess what? They get donations. They can cut federal funding to PBS as well and let them continue their pledge drives, and people can donate. Or not.

I donate to the Salvation Army and the NRA to help keep them going. If PBS is your thing, donate to it. If they have worthwhile stuff and/or a critical mass for their audience, they'll continue broadcasting.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 03:29:01 PM »
The setup is similar to Planned Parenthood for me. Planned Parenthood and its supporters go off the rails when someone talks about cutting Federal funding, but it usually involves, "donate money to save Planned Parenthood!". And guess what? They get donations. They can cut federal funding to PBS as well and let them continue their pledge drives, and people can donate. Or not.

I donate to the Salvation Army and the NRA to help keep them going. If PBS is your thing, donate to it. If they have worthwhile stuff and/or a critical mass for their audience, they'll continue broadcasting.

https://www.investors.com/politics/commentary/big-bird-is-rich-so-why-does-he-need-taxpayer-money/

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 03:43:44 PM »
I read somewhere this AM that Trump proposes to defund Planned Parenthood too.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 04:22:32 PM »

People will not die!!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 04:32:51 PM »

Agreed. If they can't be proactively apolitical, they shouldn't get a dime of taxpayer funding. Let the people whose views they reflect and promote pay for it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 09:41:35 PM »
Agreed. If they can't be proactively apolitical, they shouldn't get a dime of taxpayer funding. Let the people whose views they reflect and promote pay for it.

This.  At one time, Dr Julius Sumner Miller at 2AM was an excellent educational resource.  (The advent of VCRs with recording timers made it a lot more useful, though.)  Now, however, we've go Open Yale Courses, MIT OpenCourseware, edX, Coursera, OEDb, and others that give anyone with internet access a wide variety of on-demand free, serious educational opportunities.  Modern States' Freshman Year Free program will even cover the cost of up to eight CLEP tests if you take their free online classes.  There's no longer a need for the government-funded indoctrination system that PBS has become.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 07:54:48 AM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 09:18:18 AM »

There is no way the repulsive Republican Party will let that happen.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 08:30:06 PM »
I've died twice, maybe three times since Trump was elected.  Do I have to die again ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 09:00:12 AM »
I've died twice, maybe three times since Trump was elected.  Do I have to die again ??

YOU WILL DIE AS MANY TIMES AS THE DEMOCRAT PARTY SAYS YOU WILL!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 04:56:01 PM »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."