Author Topic: Coleman Fuel (white gas) and octane boosters = Emergency Fuel?  (Read 2673 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Coleman Fuel (white gas) and octane boosters = Emergency Fuel?
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2018, 09:30:11 PM »
1 station about 25 miles away. Nothing closer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 10:00:48 PM »
In Iowa they blend 85 octane gasoline with 10% ethanol to get 87 octane fuel. 85 + 15% ethanol gets you 88 octane fuel.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 10:02:33 PM »
 Thirty miles to closet big store here.
Oh no 25 miles.  
You big city people are spoiled.

I can't remember if it was acetone or naphtha that you could dissolve mothballs in and get a hot octane boost.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2018, 10:18:05 PM »
Go to the airport and buy 10 gallons of 100 LowLead. 100 octane, with additives to keep it stable for a long time. You’re going to pay $4.50-5.00 per gallon but it’s better than the quart cans at the farm store. Smells better, too.

JB
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 11:09:37 PM »
For 'liability reasons', the local FBOs at the local airports will no longer sell avgas unless it is being pumped directly into an aircraft fuel tank.  No more five gallon cans or using it in your auto.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2018, 11:37:16 PM »
My garage is 80* - 95*- 24/7 - 300 days / yr … how would that affect the longevity of the canned gas or ethanol free w/ Stabil in a steel jerry can ?
 :cool:
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 04:24:36 PM »
Surprise! I found a web site www.pure-gas.org that lists places selling ethanol-free gasoline, byt state. I thought it was completely unavailable in my state, but there are a few smal engine and lawn equipment shops that sell it -- by the can, not from a pump. I called the shop nearest me and asked if they still have it. They do.

Price? A mere $27 per gallon.

So I'm back to removing the ethanol for mowers and small engines. But ethanol is an octane booster, so then I had to research how much the octane drops after the ethanol has been removed. So far, it appears the answer is 3 to 4 points, which means if I want to purify my own gas I should be buying at least mid-grade, or maybe premium. Hey, it's still cheaper than $27/gallon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2018, 04:43:02 PM »
Surprise! I found a web site www.pure-gas.org that lists places selling ethanol-free gasoline, byt state.

From what I can tell they use a Wiki-esque system of public submission so take everything there with a grain of salt and do some independent confirmation.

Brad

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 05:10:47 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2018, 05:07:11 PM »
Surprise! I found a web site www.pure-gas.org that lists places selling ethanol-free gasoline, byt state. I thought it was completely unavailable in my state, but there are a few smal engine and lawn equipment shops that sell it -- by the can, not from a pump. I called the shop nearest me and asked if they still have it. They do.

Price? A mere $27 per gallon.

So I'm back to removing the ethanol for mowers and small engines. But ethanol is an octane booster, so then I had to research how much the octane drops after the ethanol has been removed. So far, it appears the answer is 3 to 4 points, which means if I want to purify my own gas I should be buying at least mid-grade, or maybe premium. Hey, it's still cheaper than $27/gallon.

Check boat marinas too
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2018, 05:32:37 PM »
VP Racing Fuel master table. Pay close attention to the Unleaded listings with "No" in the O2 column (non-oxygenated = no alcohol).

https://vpracingfuels.com/master-fuel-table/

C9 and Vintage Unleaded are $68 for five gallons, right at the $70/5 gallons that French mentioned for Sunoco. No idea on shipping cost. If you don't have a Sunoco dealer you might be able to find a VP dealer somewhere nearby, so... options.

Vintage Leaded is only eight bucks more but make sure you never, never, ever pour any of it in your car's tank unless you like replacing catalytic converters and oxygen sensors.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:06:23 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB