Author Topic: Buy Your Aleve and Nexium Separately  (Read 732 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Buy Your Aleve and Nexium Separately
« on: February 16, 2018, 03:39:34 PM »
Buy your Aleve and Nexium separately. Because if you buy them mixed together in the same pill, it will cost you $2979.

I thought this was a fascinating article, because from the layman's perspective, I can't see a medical reason not to take the equivalent dosage of each as separate pills at the same time.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/02/price-of-2-in-1-drug-spikes-to-3000-separately-the-two-drugs-cost-36/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Buy Your Aleve and Nexium Separately
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 04:06:50 PM »
There is no medical reason to not take the generic OTC drugs at the same time.  More great publicity for Big Pharma when people hear about this kind of stuff.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 04:13:49 PM »
And we wonder why the cost of health insurance is so high.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 07:04:16 AM »
"Horizon also makes the two-in-one painkiller Duexis, which pairs painkiller ibuprofen with the antacid famotidine. The company charges $2,979 for a 90-pill bottle, while the drugs would cost as little as $15 if bought separately."

Even less than that if you buy the generics at WalMart.

60 tab bottle of famotidine is, I think $4.

100 tab bottle of ibuprofen is $4.

"Rea added that he saw no reason patients couldn’t simply take the separate, over-the-counter versions of the drugs. But a spokesperson for Horizon argued that “there are no FDA-approved generic, over-the-counter, or clinically equivalent medicines to Duexis and Vimovo, and any assertion otherwise is completely inaccurate.”

Boy, talk about splitting freaking hairs.

I believe Bayer tried that logic years ago when they came out with the first low dose aspirin regime. The price of a bottle of 100 was something like 30 times what an equivalent bottle of 100 aspirin tables would be... And if you split the aspirin into 4 pieces (the equiv of a single low dose aspirin from Bayer), the price was 4 times more expensive for the Bayer.

They tried rolling out all sorts of arguments why it was a bad idea to split aspirin tablets -- death, destruction, zombiism, plague, pox, etc. -- but most doctors simply told patients to split the tablets, either in half or in quarters.

When I started aspirin therapy, I said screw that mess, I'm simply going to take a standard aspirin tablet a day. Been doing it for years, no problems. And I get a bottle of 100 aspirin tablets at WalMart for 98 cents.

Now days Walmart has low dose aspirin for $4 for a 300 count bottle. Bayer's 300 count bottle is over $12 at Target.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 03:03:51 PM »
Some years back I got prescription eye drops for allergies.

I read the percent concentration of the medication in the bottle, factored in the cost of saline dilution, packaging, bottling, and printing, and found out the retail price of the medication itself was in the neighborhood of $30,000,000.00 per gallon.  :O

(And yes, the decimal point IS in the right place!)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 03:59:30 PM »
I buy naproxen sodium at wallyworld.
I love the stuff.
Is there any difference between aleve and generic?
Also, you do not need Aunt Acid.
Eliminate all wheat, starch and cut out eating grains every day, your heartburn goes away.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."