Author Topic: fired cop wins lawsuit, imo shouldn't have  (Read 728 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
fired cop wins lawsuit, imo shouldn't have
« on: February 16, 2018, 10:32:42 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/13/west-virginia-officer-fired-after-refusing-to-shoot-man-with-gun-settles-lawsuit-for-175000.amp.html

iirc the cop tried talking the guy into putting his gun down,  while the perp was pointing it at him!

( Where did he learn that tactic ....TV? )

the good cop showed up, saw perp pointing a gun at a cop and shot him.
I learned about it from a friend who thought fired cop was a good dude and that we needed more cops like this, imo this fired cop is practically criminal, you've got a suicidal crazy guy pointing guns at people .... shoot him!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: fired cop wins lawsuit, imo shouldn't have
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 10:51:26 PM »
According to the article there were other issues with his behavior that led to his firing, not just failing to shoot the guy.

Personally, I don't have any problem at all if a cop (or anyone) wants to risk his own life and chooses not to employ deadly force every time it is justified - and it does appear to have been justified here.  He took a risk, but it was his life to risk.  At the same time, I also get that his coworkers might be concerned about whether or not they could rely on him in a serious situation. 

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 11:32:37 PM »
I read this a few days ago and came away with the polar opposite view. Was he good at being a cop? Maybe not. Was he a good cop? I think so. He went against the trend of the shoot first cops we forever decry here. I imagine that his time as a combat veteran made him not red mist out of rational thought. And I say he was rational since his assessment turned out to be 100% correct that the deceased sought suicide by cop with an empty gun. Further, the cop that shot the guy calling this one a coward to me illustrates the department attitude that fired him. Sorry, I smell shady cops and I think the fired cop has too big of balls to continue living in that town. I have seen a state trooper and a good human being get forced out a year shy of pension because they did not go along with think blue line behavior. This guy's past transgressions would have been in the rookie cop file and never seen if not for this.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 11:52:35 PM »
fair enough, but i think the situation was, the other cop shows up and see's the suicidal guy pointing a gun at a person.
Thats always deadly force, sure, fired cop was correct, an unloaded gun but the rule is treat all guns like they are loaded
He didn't give the other cop many options really, probably not even a heads up.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 07:59:23 AM »
fair enough, but i think the situation was, the other cop shows up and see's the suicidal guy pointing a gun at a person.
Thats always deadly force, sure, fired cop was correct, an unloaded gun but the rule is treat all guns like they are loaded
He didn't give the other cop many options really, probably not even a heads up.

First, there is no requirement to use deadly force in response to a deadly force threat.  The fired cop was under no obligation to shoot.

Second, the other cop who showed up later, no matter how much later, should have recognized the situation and followed the other cop’s lead.  Look before leaping.

C.  Unless fired cop was mentally unable or unwilling to use deadly force, then he should not have been fired for that incident.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 10:42:27 AM »
I agree.  Sounds like a good cop risking his life to try and save a "suicide by cop" man.

Too bad there aren't more cops like him.  Instead we get too many trigger happy ones.