Author Topic: Foibles of humanity  (Read 1243 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Foibles of humanity
« on: February 17, 2018, 12:43:54 AM »
http://myfox8.com/2018/02/14/charlotte-mother-gets-7-days-in-jail-for-baptizing-daughter/

Couple has baby. (Not stated: Whether child was born in or out of wedlock.) Parents split. Custody battle ensues. Court rules that the father gets final say on religious matters. Mother then defies court order and has child baptized without father's knowledge, consent, or presence. Court convicts mother of contempt of court.

The puzzle: The father is the one who claims to be a devout [Roman, presumably] Catholic, so the baptism was important to him. If he's such a devout Catholic, did he have a child out of wedlock? If so, he's not in a state of grace and should not receive the sacraments. Did they marry in a non-Catholic ceremony? Same. Did they divorce from a Catholic marriage without a Catholic annulment? Same.

Curious case.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Foibles of humanity
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 01:10:57 AM »
*shrug* It doesn't say, but I would think that if the judge ruled in his favor over the whole religion question for the child, he must have presented evidence that he was a Catholic in good standing.

I must say though, as far as just being flat out snotty, the mother is clearly a piece of work. I feel sorry for the kid. She's going to grow up in a minefield of crazy.  =(
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 07:54:32 AM »
All the religious aspects are set aside for now.  This is a case of defying a court order.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 09:44:06 AM »
Oh, court orders are just suggestions we can ignore on whims. Shall means please these days.  ;/
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 10:15:44 AM »
All the religious aspects are set aside for now.  This is a case of defying a court order.

This.  The father’s religious standing with the church is irrelevant.  She performed a religious ceremony without his consent.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 11:14:31 AM »
But the next day, Stocks allegedly went out and baptized her daughter, which Schaaf found out about on Facebook.

I'm inclined to agree with BSL.  Bucketload of drama and crazy in the kid's future.

The puzzle: The father is the one who claims to be a devout [Roman, presumably] Catholic, so the baptism was important to him. If he's such a devout Catholic, did he have a child out of wedlock? If so, he's not in a state of grace and should not receive the sacraments. Did they marry in a non-Catholic ceremony? Same. Did they divorce from a Catholic marriage without a Catholic annulment? Same.

Dad's RC.  Doesn't say what Mom is.  Baptism has different significance, depending on who you ask.  And lots wouldn't baptize an infant.

Aaaand.....

the court granted him final decision-making authority on all legal custody decisions, including decisions concerning religion.

Mom's "off" enough that she wasn't given this.  OK then.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 02:57:48 PM »
And here I thought .gov was not allowed to have any say in religion . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 04:12:28 PM »
 Dr Laura was correct, I used to listen to her radio show and she would tell people not to get married
and have kids unless both agree on these kind of issues.

I know a gal, raised by non practicing Catholics, she's living with a non practicing Jewish guy.
She loves Christmas and he hates it - it was all good but now with two kids its become a yearly drama.

If people would only ask me how to run their lives they
.... I mean me, would be a lot happier.

However, imo , it was a dumb decision by the Judge.
Should have told him to go have another baptizing - I got baptized twice so far, heck, maybe a third time will work.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 05:31:24 PM »

Should have told him to go have another baptizing - I got baptized twice so far, heck, maybe a third time will work.

I'm not sure you read the article all the way through. The judge gave the father ultimate say in custody issues, which included final say on religion. Not specific orders about baptism.

Which would indicate that the mother isn't behaving in a way that is in the best interest of the child... And her actions back that up. She turned around the next day and used her own daughter to get petty revenge on the father by doing something she knew would emotionally hurt him.
You don't use your kid as a weapon to hurt your ex. It's not good for your kid.

Personally, I hope the judge threw everything he had at her. It was a bitch move.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 05:23:03 PM »

And here I thought .gov was not allowed to have any say in religion . . .

It has nothing to do with religion, nor was it a dumb decision.  It has everything to do with which parent is given custody.  The father was granted the right to make decisons regarding medical, education, religion, and all other decisions regarding the child.  We don't know why Mom was excluded, but the court had it's reasons.

Just as Mom couldn't go enroll the child in a school of her choosing, nor take the kid to a doctor of her choosing*,  she can't go take the child to religious services of her choosing either.  (The) Religion has nothing to do with it. 

*- Per the court order, Dad gets to pick the school and doctors.  If mom choose to take the kid to different pediatrician then the one dad has specified (baring an emergency), then she would have been held in contempt also. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 08:28:15 AM »
It has nothing to do with religion, nor was it a dumb decision.  It has everything to do with which parent is given custody.  The father was granted the right to make decisons regarding medical, education, religion, and all other decisions regarding the child.  We don't know why Mom was excluded, but the court had it's reasons.

Just as Mom couldn't go enroll the child in a school of her choosing, nor take the kid to a doctor of her choosing*,  she can't go take the child to religious services of her choosing either.  (The) Religion has nothing to do with it. 

*- Per the court order, Dad gets to pick the school and doctors.  If mom choose to take the kid to different pediatrician then the one dad has specified (baring an emergency), then she would have been held in contempt also. 

QFT

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 11:44:37 AM »
Dad's RC.  Doesn't say what Mom is.  Baptism has different significance, depending on who you ask.  And lots wouldn't baptize an infant.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/north-carolina-mother-jailed-baptizing-2-year-old-daughter-article-1.3826721

Says the kid was baptized at St Peter's Catholic Church.  This wasn't a matter of a different faith; she didn't want the father to be present for the baptism.

As for getting a do-over with the father present, as far as I know, Catholics do not rebaptize unless the previous baptism can be proven invalid.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 12:11:07 PM »
Quote from: Amy Schumer

*- Per the court order, Dad gets to pick the school and doctors.  If mom choose to take the kid to different pediatrician then the one dad has specified (baring an emergency), then she would have been held in contempt also.  

What we hate is when both parents have equal decision-making power for healthcare yet cannot agree on the treatment of the child.  This comes up a lot in two areas: vaccinations and ADHD treatment.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:34:17 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 04:42:08 PM »
What we hate is when both parents have equal decision-making power for healthcare yet cannot agree on the treatment of the child.  This comes up a lot in two areas: vaccinations and ADHD treatment.

Oh, for cryin' out loud.  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 04:36:27 AM »

Hang in there; I'm sure prepubescent sex changes will catch up soon.