Author Topic: Car battery that doesn't suck?  (Read 5136 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Car battery that doesn't suck?
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 11:55:45 PM »
The one that's dying on me is my daily driver.  Literally, daily. 

The truck that sits for weeks at a time starts every time.  Unless I leave something plugged in the cigar lighter and forget about it.
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 01:56:47 AM »

The truck that sits for weeks at a time starts every time.  Unless I leave something plugged in the cigar lighter and forget about it.

Maybe they're trying to tell you you're driving the wrong one, or you got the batteries mixed up.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 02:12:33 AM »

Have you checked the alternator?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 02:20:05 AM »
Have you checked the alternator?

Yes.  14.something volts.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 02:50:16 AM »
Have you tried unplugging it for a minute and then plugging it back in?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2018, 11:06:32 AM »

That sucks, have you had one of auto parts chain stores do a quick diagnostic on the battery/charging system?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2018, 11:19:17 AM »
That sucks, have you had one of auto parts chain stores do a quick diagnostic on the battery/charging system?

Yes, I took it to AutoZone three months ago when this just started and they said the battery and the alternator tested just fine.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2018, 01:34:52 PM »
Yes, I took it to AutoZone three months ago when this just started and they said the battery and the alternator tested just fine.

My neighbor was having battery issues during the cold snap around new year's. Ended up his 5 mile commute to work was not enough time for the battery to charge up during the 3 weeks of sub zero temps. He put his truck on a charger every couple nights to charge it fully.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 02:08:42 PM »

Dying while you drive?  Refusing to start?  What?

If it doesn't want to start, if the battery and alternator have tested good, I'd check the cable to your starter and its ground.  Could be a bad relay.

Is it coming up every morning drained?  Then you might have a (minor) short somewhere sucking juice.  That's a bitch to troubleshoot, could be anywhere.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2019, 02:08:20 PM »
I took that battery back to Costco and got an almost-free replacement.  (don't remember after almost 2 years if I said that)  The replacement battery lasted 22 months and then it crapped out.  If I go 2 or 3 days w/o driving and the weather is kinda cold, or if the weather is just really cold it won't start.  Turn the key and the starter engages but it runs out of juice in about half a second and the motor doesn't start quite that fast.  I hooked the fancy battery charger up to it and it refused to charge because it said the battery is full.  I put a non-computerized Harbor Freight trickle charger on, and an hour later I can start it.  I checked my alternator with the previously mentioned fancy charger and it's fine. 

I took the car to Autozone and they checked the charging system and said it's okay.  They tried to load-test the battery and their load tester refused to run.  So they told it it was a 500 amp battery instead of 590, then load tester did its thing and said just over 50% capacity.

Took the battery back to Costco and the paperwork was a bit much because they couldn't find my purchase in the computer (my membership number had changed) but I had the paper receipt and they gave me a new battery for $8 and change.

I don't like this pattern.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2019, 04:06:59 PM »
My compact utility tractor has an Interstate battery in it. It's still the one that was in it when I bought it Jan. 2011. It sometimes sits for a couple of months at a time between uses and I've never had a problem with it. Sometimes you just get a lemon no matter who sold it.

Finally had to replace I last month.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2019, 06:31:53 PM »
I had to jump my truck ck twice today. Thinking about trying a dry cell.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2020, 07:40:41 AM »
If you have an open cell in the battery you're on borrowed time with it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2020, 07:43:36 AM »
"I have a AAA battery the auto club installed"

Hum... doesn't seem to be much reserve capacity in an AAA battery, but if it works... :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.