Author Topic: The inmates are running the asylum  (Read 1225 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
The inmates are running the asylum
« on: February 18, 2018, 12:51:35 AM »
In Switzerland.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/02/16/new-swiss-law-pain-free-deaths-lobsters-flushing-goldfish-down-toilet-breaking-law-according-new-swi/341412002/

It is now illegal in Switzerland to boil a lobster without first "humanely" killing it -- such as by electrocution, or sticking a knife into its brain.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: The inmates are running the asylum
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 01:42:29 AM »
That means cats must have a daily visual contact with other felines, and hamsters or guinea pigs must be kept in pairs.

... So, that means that if you have a cat that HATES other cats, you have to piss it off once a day, every day?

And I haven't had hamsters or guinea pigs, but I have had lots of pet rats. Several times I've bought them in pairs as babies and raised them together. Which is fine, but I've also had one half of the pair die. So the first time that happened I thought "well, maybe he's lonely now, I'll get him a friend." and ended up buying a new pair of babies. Ended up with old rat in one cage and the new pair in another cage. Old rat hated the new ones. Which brings me to my point, what happens when one of the pair dies? Do you have to kill the other one? Or let it kill the new one? Or what?

Animals and guns. Two of those things that really should not be legislated by people who don't know *expletive deleted*it about what they are legislating.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 02:38:30 AM »

Animals and guns. Two of those things that really should not be legislated by people who don't know *expletive deleted*it about what they are legislating.

Morals and ethics.  They don't know *expletive deleted*it about those two things, either.

But I'm sure the list is longer than just those four.

Terry
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:01:58 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 09:15:41 AM »
I agree with not flushing live pets down toilets. Even gold fish. Flashback emotional support hamster lady WTF  :facepalm: :mad:

Also, other than time savings, what is the advantage of boiling lobsters alive? I agree with humanely dispatching animals, and boiling alive ain't that. That is just common sense.

Regarding the "your pet must socialize daily with others of its kind"... and having "the constitutional right to be represented by lawyers in court"... that's where they start to go off the deep end.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 09:42:28 AM »
Lobsters should only be killed via lethal injection after 20 years of appeals.  :facepalm:
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 09:47:26 AM »
I'll go along with Blakenzy and buck the trend here.  I hunt and I fish. I eat a lot of animals. I've never understood boiling live lobsters either. Whether they die quickly just before being dropped in the pot, or die slowly in the pot, I can't see that it makes any difference in the resulting food.

I see no reason to prolong the death of any living thing for no good reason, especially when not doing so is as easy as stabbing it in the brain.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 09:59:13 AM »
Regarding the "your pet must socialize daily with others of its kind"... and having "the constitutional right to be represented by lawyers in court"... that's where they start to go off the deep end.
What if Fido or Garfield are tranny pets, who think that inside, they're really human beings? Wouldn't forcing them to socialize with animals be cruel?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 10:58:09 AM »
Has anyone done a scientific study that proves stabbing a lobster in the brain is less painful/more humane that boiling alive?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »
Has anyone done a scientific study that proves stabbing a lobster in the brain is less painful/more humane that boiling alive?

Yeah, that's what I want to know too. I don't think the brain would last that long or be conscious for very long once it hit boiling water. Stabbing it in the brain should be pretty instantaneous, as long as you stab the right part of the brain (and what is the right part of the brain in a lobster?)
The electrocution one I really question as being somehow more humane than boiling water, though. How fast is that? I would think that as being the least instantaneous.

I'm all for humane deaths for animals... I'm just not sure how humane this particular logic is. *shrug*
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 01:58:22 PM »
I can see a lot of people slicing a finger off ( or worse ) trying to stab a lobster in the brain.
 Do lobsters cooperate and hold still while your jabbing at it?

Did "ronco portable lobster electrocution company" pay for this study?

Maybe we can use this to introduce new pro gun laws in blue states , all lobsters must be humanely dispatched with a .22 before boiling.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."