Author Topic: More cultural appropriation!  (Read 2653 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
More cultural appropriation!
« on: February 18, 2018, 11:11:24 PM »
So, in the vein of teaching my daughter a little of her Norwegian food heritage I was finally able to appropriate the family flat bread iron from my ex. A huge flat electric griddle that goes to 500 degrees, pretty much built by Midwest Lutherans for Midwest Lutherans.

Of course first up was Norwegian flat bread, a holiday staple. Nobody makes it since it takes a lot of effort to get it the right thickness, about .030" if I had to guess. Other than that it is just flour, water, lard and salt, rolled out in liberal amounts of whole wheat flour where it acquires its taste. Very addictive with soft butter around.

But the real fun is now I have an excuse for a tortilla press, so I got one, channeled my inner fat mexican woman and am cranking out corn tortillas. And eating way too many of them. Tortillas, fried egg and melted cheese on top is the new breakfast taco.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: More cultural appropriation!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 12:44:33 AM »
Are the tortillas just masa harina and water?  Or do you add salt?  Or a little lard?

I got on a tamale kick a few months ago.  Made several batches before I got tired of them.  Still have a couple dozen in the freezer.
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: More cultural appropriation!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 09:09:06 PM »
Are the tortillas just masa harina and water?  Or do you add salt?  Or a little lard?

I got on a tamale kick a few months ago.  Made several batches before I got tired of them.  Still have a couple dozen in the freezer.

I am just following the recipe right now, instant Masa from the Mexican aisle at Walmart and water. It has lime in it, so they taste correct. I have bucket o lard though, also from handy Mexican aisle. May try it. No salt, trying to feed my no salt dad. He doesn't do well with bread, too many strokes, swallowing is an adventure.

Not smart enough yet to tamale. Soon.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.