Author Topic: The Braiser  (Read 2919 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
The Braiser
« on: February 19, 2018, 10:17:48 AM »
So I was checking out Goodwill the other day and found (what I thought to be) a large, shallow enamel coated dutch oven. $6.

I didn't yet have any enamel coated cast iron, so I snatched that up to see how I would like it. (Way better price than the $50+ for most cast-iron enamel items.) I thought it would be a great way to answer how useful the items are.

First thing I made was a chicken pot pie. It was more shallow, so the biscuit crust didn't quite reach the edges, but it was excellent and cleanup was a breeze.

Researching after the purchase I learned foods like that are not the intended purpose of the pan: it isn't a Dutch Oven. It is a Braiser. Designed with a tight fitting lid, it uses a small amount of liquid to cook meats (and other foods) to tenderness with the steam.

And it has now become my favorite piece of cookware. I bought this to try to make use of the pan as intended:

https://smile.amazon.com/Braiser-Cookbook-irresistible-braiser-great-Tromantina-ebook/dp/B00AQZ41I6/

We've only made two of the recipes so far, but I have a new favorite meal:

Braised County-style Pork Ribs Agrodolce

3 lbs pork ribs
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
Large onion (Chopped)
Medium Carrot (chopped)
6 garlic cloves (slivered)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup beef broth

Salt and pepper the ribs and brown them in the braiser with the olive oil.
Remove browned ribs. Drain off all but 1 tbsp of fat. Add carrots and onions to the pan and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
Add the vinegar, wine and beef broth and bring it all to a boil.
Put the ribs back in the pan and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes. Turn the meat and recover, cooking for 30 minute smore.
Check to see if the ribs are done and remove to a warming plate, if so.
Strain the remaining solids from the liquid and pour into a saucepan. (Discard the solids if desired, but I liked the tangy taste the carrots now had)
Whisk until smooth and simmer until thickened.

Serve ribs with the sauce.

Makes them so tender and the sauce for drizzling/dipping is amazing. I'll be trying out other recipes, but the cookbook and the Brasier are a great addition to my cooking tools.

(I'm looking forward to trying the Braised Pork Shoulder with Carmelized Onion Sauce.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: The Braiser
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 10:32:29 AM »
Oh hell, nice snag!

Those things normally go for $50 and up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 03:39:01 PM »
Oh hell, nice snag!

Those things normally go for $50 and up.

Well, it had a major flaw. It was missing the handle to the lid.

So, for $5 on Amazon, I got two replacement handles. And now it functions perfectly. (And I have a spare)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 09:07:12 PM »
Well, since it's that badly flawed, I'll give you... $6.50...

For scrap value.

But you pay shipping.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 10:54:09 AM »
Just an update, as we're trying other recipes from the linked book.

The Braised Pork Shoulder with Caramelized Onion sauce is also amazing.