Author Topic: The Gun Control Bandwagon  (Read 76528 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Gun Control Bandwagon
« on: February 19, 2018, 07:03:03 PM »
I thought I'd start a separate thread to list the gun control lies and nonsense currently being spread, not just by the usual social media "experts" (anybody with a smartphone) but by politicians and supposedly unbiased news sources. List yours. Here's a couple to get started:

CBS absolutely lying:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/02/19/fake-news-cbs-news-says-its-easier-to-buy-an-assault-rifle-than-cold-medicine/

And ladies and Gentlemen, I give you John Kasich, who has now supposedly scrubbed anything pro gun from his website and social media presence, apparently in preparation for a 2020 run. This guy wanted us to vote for him as a Republican last year:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/02/19/watch-woke-john-kasich-sets-his-big-gun-collector-friend-straight-on-common-sense-gun-control/

Oh, and one of the biggest whoppers out there right now, being spread by dozens of "reputable" sources:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/02/19/dishonest-bullsht-dean-obeidallahs-post-parkland-nra-smear-may-be-the-most-appalling-yet/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

freakazoid

• friend
Re: The Gun Control Bandwagon
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 08:01:40 PM »
There is the "18 mass shootings this year!!1!" lie.
Specifically with this latest shooting there was the lie that he was hanging around with some local White Supremacist militia.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 08:31:36 PM »
I heard that Monkeyleg’s favorite competitor (Optics Planet) has decided to only sell reduced capacity magazines to peons.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 08:51:48 PM »
I heard that Monkeyleg’s favorite competitor (Optics Planet) has decided to only sell reduced capacity magazines to peons.

Like that makes a difference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAFxgQmxbGI

The guy is Travis Tomasie, who currently shoots for Team Remington. He has the new magazine in place before the empty hits the floor.

Here's one live on the range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDVcT-BhOa0

Any questions?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 10:21:24 PM »
Eff optics planet. They lost my business the first time I tried buying some mundane piece of equipment from them and they required police credentials... I went elsewhere. Frilends of mine have had similar experiences with them.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 11:00:54 PM »
Like that makes a difference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAFxgQmxbGI

The guy is Travis Tomasie, who currently shoots for Team Remington. He has the new magazine in place before the empty hits the floor.

Here's one live on the range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDVcT-BhOa0

Any questions?

He has done one where he catches the empty after the new one is in the gun.

I did my competition shooting in the ban years and shot either a 1911 or a ten round glock in Production class. Lots of mag changes, lots.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 08:08:06 AM »
I've got a few NIB pmags...prices spike yet?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 08:37:39 AM »
My fear is that at this point, a bunch of Republicans are talking about being open to "reasonable" gun control measures, meaning they are open to negotiation.  What does that mean?  If I was putting money on it, I'd bet that a new AWB is in the works, complete with "assault weapons" being banned again, and mag limits of 10 rounds coming back.  The concerning part (not that an AWB isn't concerning" is that more and more I'm hearing people talking about what you really need for protection, and more and more I hear people saying you don't need a semi-auto for protection.  More and more I hear people, even some I would have considered an ally, or at least not an opponent, saying things like you only need a revolver for protection, or the Joe Biden shotgun.  The Dems may go for an outright semi-auto ban this time.  There's blood in the water, and the sharks are circling...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 09:11:44 AM »
My fear is that at this point, a bunch of Republicans are talking about being open to "reasonable" gun control measures, meaning they are open to negotiation.  What does that mean?  If I was putting money on it, I'd bet that a new AWB is in the works, complete with "assault weapons" being banned again, and mag limits of 10 rounds coming back.  The concerning part (not that an AWB isn't concerning" is that more and more I'm hearing people talking about what you really need for protection, and more and more I hear people saying you don't need a semi-auto for protection.  More and more I hear people, even some I would have considered an ally, or at least not an opponent, saying things like you only need a revolver for protection, or the Joe Biden shotgun.  The Dems may go for an outright semi-auto ban this time.  There's blood in the water, and the sharks are circling...

I'm no longer afraid of it. I'm fairly certain the vast majority of (elected) Republicans don't really care about gun rights, but mouth support in order to stay elected.

I think they need to be afraid. Whatever you may think of the NRA, the politicians fear them.

(Anymore, I'm thinking the purpose if the NRA is to keep the duplicitous Republicans in line, not to fight the Democrats.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 09:19:29 AM »

Not quite correct.  They stopped because of Cook County*, Illinois law.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/02/robert-farago/optics-planet-stops-sales-high-capacity-magazines/amp/

* - Edited to Clarify: 10+ round magazines are legal in all of Illinois, except Cook County.  This also part of Cook County's Assault Weapons Ban.   Optics Planet in based in Northbrook, IL, which is in Cook County. - scout26
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:10:13 PM by Amy Schumer »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 09:22:39 AM »
The concerning part (not that an AWB isn't concerning" is that more and more I'm hearing people talking about what you really need for protection, and more and more I hear people saying you don't need a semi-auto for protection.  More and more I hear people, even some I would have considered an ally, or at least not an opponent, saying things like you only need a revolver for protection, or the Joe Biden shotgun. 

There's a discussion going right now on The Firing Line, and a number of people (some of whom have been members for a long time, so I don't think they're trolls) are actively advocating for a lot of restrictions -- and they don't even seem to acknowledge that what they propose IS a restriction (or, at least, that its a restriction that may be unconstitutional).

It's a depressing discussion.

cordex

• Administrator

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 09:25:04 AM »
Not quite correct.  They stopped because of Illinois law.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/02/robert-farago/optics-planet-stops-sales-high-capacity-magazines/amp/

I know a guy in Connecticut who owns a gun shop. CDNN won't even sell a "high capacity" magazine to him, and they're legal for gun shops. In fact, he may have said that CDNN won't ship any magazines to Connecticut.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 09:27:42 AM »
Why now? What is it about this latest event that brought all this on? I might chalk it up to anti-Trump hysteria, but this is not the first, or worst, mass shooting we've seen in the past year.  ???  Is this because people are trying to get something through before there's a "blue wave"?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 09:30:11 AM »
I'm no longer afraid of it. I'm fairly certain the vast majority of (elected) Republicans don't really care about gun rights, but mouth support in order to stay elected.

I think they need to be afraid. Whatever you may think of the NRA, the politicians fear them.

(Anymore, I'm thinking the purpose if the NRA is to keep the duplicitous Republicans in line, not to fight the Democrats.)

R.s need to have their feet put to the fire.

D.s are now, by and large, full out Party of Death.  R.s are higher in my estimation, but not greatly.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 09:39:11 AM »
Why now? What is it about this latest event that brought all this on? I might chalk it up to anti-Trump hysteria, but this is not the first, or worst, mass shooting we've seen in the past year.  ???  Is this because people are trying to get something through before there's a "blue wave"?

Why now?  A lot of people are now standing on the graves of the children shot in Florida and screaming for change, whatever that means.  You've got a Republican party that seems afraid to use its majority control to do anything more than try to not lose the midterm elections, and doing a pretty piss-poor job of that.  We've got a president who is vilified by the press daily, to the point where life-long Republicans are saying that they don't support him or what he's standing for, like immigration enforcement, even though a decade or so ago, it was on everyone's platform, R or D .  We have an electorate made up of far too many people more concerned about who is going to be on Dancing With the Stars next time than anything of more national significance...unless the Kardashians say it's important.  And these people are hearing celebs say "the NRA is bad," so they are singing right along.  And, we have a crap ton of people willing, no begging, to give up liberty for a sense of safety.  It's the perfect storm, and the antis are going all in. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 10:19:30 AM »
Why now? 

1. A lot of people are now standing on the graves of the children shot in Florida and screaming for change, whatever that means. 

2. You've got a Republican party that seems afraid to use its majority control to do anything more than try to not lose the midterm elections, and doing a pretty piss-poor job of that. 

3. a)We've got a president who is vilified by the press daily, b)to the point where life-long Republicans are saying that they don't support him or what he's standing for, like immigration enforcement, even though a decade or so ago, it was on everyone's platform, R or D . 

4. We have an electorate made up of far too many people more concerned about who is going to be on Dancing With the Stars next time than anything of more national significance...unless the Kardashians say it's important.  And these people are hearing celebs say "the NRA is bad," so they are singing right along. 

5. And, we have a crap ton of people willing, no begging, to give up liberty for a sense of safety.  It's the perfect storm, and the antis are going all in. 

With the exception of 3b, that's politics as usual. 3b also obtained during the last few mass shootings, so it doesn't explain what's going on now. 

???

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 10:29:51 AM »
With the exception of 3b, that's politics as usual. 3b also obtained during the last few mass shootings, so it doesn't explain what's going on now. 

???

My WAG is akin to Chris' "perfect storm". This came too close in time to Vegas. Had it happened a year from now, there would be less momentum. We also have a bunch of "resistance warriors" who have been losing at every turn in other areas and they are looking for a "win".

There's a lot more going on than that I think, but I believe they are a couple of the drivers right now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 11:13:28 AM »

???

You're right, but it seems like it's all coming together now, at the same time, with lots of media coverage.  And we see a lot of Rs that look scared, and are talking about common sense gun control.  If the Rs are saying that, I get worried.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 11:45:51 AM »
Why now? The blue team needs a divisive high profile issue to midterm campaign on to distract from the collapse of zomg Russia and their general dumpster fire of a platform.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 11:55:10 AM »
"We don't want to take away you're guns, we just want to kill you."

I honestly believe this has also been one of the drivers - not just now, but always. Many emotional progressives think everyone else will fly off the handle like them. They're afraid of what they might do if they were angry and a gun was handy, and they apply that to everyone.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2018/02/20/well-be-keeping-our-guns-thanks-gun-grabbers-tag-kentucky-billboard-with-kill-the-nra/

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 12:09:18 PM »
NRA lives matter

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 12:24:55 PM »
Why now? The blue team needs a divisive high profile issue to midterm campaign on to distract from the collapse of zomg Russia and their general dumpster fire of a platform.
This^
I also suspect some type of community organizing driving it from the shadows.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 12:42:12 PM »

I don't understand why that would have some Republicans preparing to cave, or already caving.