Author Topic: The Gun Control Bandwagon  (Read 76853 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: The Gun Control Bandwagon
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 02:30:52 PM »
And now this:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/02/20/liberals-embrace-idea-of-banks-and-credit-card-cos-cutting-off-gun-dealers/

Not the first time they've tried stuff like this.

I'm not sure if banks want to lose the business of ~40% of the country and open themselves up to obvious competition.

But, hey, knock yourself out, leftists.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 02:34:31 PM »
Not the first time they've tried stuff like this.

I'm not sure if banks want to lose the business of ~40% of the country and open themselves up to obvious competition.

But, hey, knock yourself out, leftists.

Though I recall last time it was some banks misinterpreting (knowingly or unknowingly) legislation aimed at drug cartels and organized crime.

This includes a call for Amazon, etc. to pressure banks into doing it or losing their business. I don't know that those giant tech companies would wade into this in that manner, but the idea of having them do so is a dangerous, dangerous precedent.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 03:04:25 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 04:02:32 PM »
And now this:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/02/20/liberals-embrace-idea-of-banks-and-credit-card-cos-cutting-off-gun-dealers/

Sometimes, I wonder how people can see no further than the end of their nose...

Let's allow the banks to make decisions on what legal purchases can and cannot be made.  Oh, you want to purchase all that junk food?  Nope.  Bad for your health.  You get sick and die, we won't be able to collect on you.  Want to buy that video game system?  Studies show that those games hurt income, so nope.  Birth control?  Nope. 

Yet another reason why I save actual cash to make all of my gun related purchases.  Fewer records.  Fewer nosy people able to see what I've bought.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 05:37:57 PM »
I really hope Democrats make gun control a foundation of their mid-term election platform.  If anything will get Trump voters back out to the polls, that will. 

As for Republicans, they have been squishy on ALL issues, not just gun issues.  I can't believe they actually passed the tax cut in December.  I don't think the R's will lose out in the mid-terms, but I still expect Democrats and the press to do all they can to make that happen.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 06:17:51 PM »
And a friend just sent me a text that Trump has directed ATF to ban bump stocks and rate increase devices...

It's starting...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 06:18:30 PM »
Though I recall last time it was some banks misinterpreting (knowingly or unknowingly) legislation aimed at drug cartels and organized crime.

This includes a call for Amazon, etc. to pressure banks into doing it or losing their business. I don't know that those giant tech companies would wade into this in that manner, but the idea of having them do so is a dangerous, dangerous precedent.

Nope, it was pretty damn deliberate on the part of DOJ and Treasury.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Choke_Point

Interesting tidbit, I hear that the MJ stores in CO, WA, DC, and now CA (and I think the medical ones in other states) do all their business in cash, because the banks won't process checks, credit cards, or debit cards because their business is considered illegal at the Federal level.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:57:55 PM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 06:22:35 PM »
This^
I also suspect some type of community organizing driving it from the shadows.

The Million Mom March has it's hand in the student walkout protests.

And a friend just sent me a text that Trump has directed ATF to ban bump stocks and rate increase devices...

It's starting...

Seen that on Facebook. I'm thinking, really really hoping, he's playing 4D chess with the left. Just like the NRA passed it off to the ATF. Haven't watched the actual video but it sounds like he basically said that he will direct them to ban things that convert semi-autos to full-autos, something that we know is already illegal but the left doesn't.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2018, 06:22:53 PM »

It's starting...

Yup. On the front page of Fox News. If only pro gun legislation moved this fast. I do think, as I mentioned when Vegas happened, that bump stocks were kind of a "gimme". They were doomed anyway, so if that's all that takes a hit, we should breath a sigh of relief. Though I don't think we're done yet.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/20/trump-urges-ban-on-bump-stocks-other-gun-modifiers.html

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2018, 06:26:53 PM »
Nope, it was pretty damn deliberate on the part of DOJ and Treasury.  

You're right. I just seem to recall that some financial institutions took a more aggressive approach and broader interpretation of who the DOJ "bad guys" were. I recall some gun dealers having to switch services from one financial institution to another.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2018, 06:30:04 PM »

I don't understand why that would have some Republicans preparing to cave, or already caving.

Caving is what Republicans do.  It's their most practical skill.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2018, 07:32:43 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/florida-survivors-lawmakers-on-collision-course-over-guns/ar-BBJnRG6?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

""America is a gun society. That is what made (suspect) Nikolas Cruz seem normal..." :facepalm: Where do they get this bullshit?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2018, 07:46:23 PM »

[Geico] If you're a republican you cave. It's what you do.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2018, 07:54:49 PM »
Cody Wilson, of 3D printed gun fame, is still being targeted by operation choke point unless Trump put a stop to it.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

brimic

• friends
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2018, 08:05:49 PM »
I’ll start taking gun control activists seriously the moment they start going after illegal gun sales/purchasing  operations conducted by the US government, government officials, and news agencies  and demand the actors be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2018, 08:16:15 PM »
I know a guy in Connecticut who owns a gun shop. CDNN won't even sell a "high capacity" magazine to him, and they're legal for gun shops. In fact, he may have said that CDNN won't ship any magazines to Connecticut.

What's worse is that I couldn't even find a vendor who would ship me a ten round magazine until I confirmed with Monkeyleg that he would.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2018, 08:48:20 PM »
CNN ran with this story about "buying an AR-15 in five minutes", without checking the details of course. Please see "details" in the quote:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/02/20/fake-news-20-year-old-who-claims-he-was-able-to-buy-an-ar-15-in-5-minutes-wasnt/

After he walked me through the paperwork, all five pages of it, I told him I changed my mind and wanted to think more before I bought an AR-15. He told me it wasn’t a problem and listed the store hours if I wanted to come back. I then said thank you and walked back to my car.

Seconds. It took seconds for the salesman to take an AR-15 off the shelf and begin selling it to me. If I had stayed for maybe three minutes longer to fill out less paperwork than I did for the hiring process at my school’s bookstore, I would’ve driven home with an AR-15.

No delay. No extensive background check. Just my recently expired driver’s license, my vehicle registration, and filling out some paperwork.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2018, 08:53:55 PM »
Yup, we are seeing a full court press on gun control and I think the GOPe is gonna knuckle under this time and we are going to lose something significant on the federal level.
What is really baffling is that the republicans that cave will likely lose their base and get replaced by democrats making things even worse.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2018, 09:10:08 PM »
Thank God its not Jeb in office!
 In 1986 GHW Bush was ready to cave on a lot of stuff, gave us fake firearms owners protection act which means NY/NJ can arrest you if your plane gets diverted by accident.

They always seem to do this to us, Bill Clinton was really into the death penalty - then they use the death penalty against R's with GW for instance.
 The D's war and death penalty and drug war like they claim the R's do and the R's give us amnesty taxes and gun control like they say the D's do.

NRA lives matter

heck yeah they do Fistful!!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2018, 10:00:29 PM »
CNN ran with this story about "buying an AR-15 in five minutes", without checking the details of course. Please see "details" in the quote:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/02/20/fake-news-20-year-old-who-claims-he-was-able-to-buy-an-ar-15-in-5-minutes-wasnt/

I heard that mentioned.  I have a CHL and don't have to do the background check, but it still takes more than 5 minutes to fill out the paperwork, watch them go through their audit process, then get rung up to pay. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 10:03:59 PM »
Yup, we are seeing a full court press on gun control and I think the GOPe is gonna knuckle under this time and we are going to lose something significant on the federal level.
What is really baffling is that the republicans that cave will likely lose their base and get replaced by democrats making things even worse.

They managed not to do it after Sandy Hook.  However, they might be more likely with an R in office. 

I think the more time passes, the less support there will be if there really is any now at all.  The media and Dems are just trying to push now while emotions are still high. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2018, 11:26:36 PM »

They've managed NOT to cave on the gun issue after several other mass shootings, so I still want to know, why should they cave now? No one's put forth a good explanation.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2018, 12:22:06 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2018, 08:48:23 AM »
https://www.naturalnews.com/2018-02-19-its-all-theater-florida-high-school-shooting-survivor-caught-on-video-rehearsing-scripted-lines-coached-by-camera-man.html#

Ted Nugent posted this on his facebook page. 
It’s all THEATER: Florida high school shooting survivor caught on video rehearsing scripted lines, coached by camera man