Author Topic: The Gun Control Bandwagon  (Read 76799 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: The Gun Control Bandwagon
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2018, 09:10:30 PM »
Anyone following the story about David Hogg the "crisis actor?"

He is a student at the Florida high school that got shot up last week.  Some people are saying he is being used as a "crisis actor" because he is the son of a retired FBI agent.

Watch this video starting at the 2 minute mark.  Tell me your impressions of his speech.  Is he emotional?  On the verge of tears?  Traumatized and having trouble speaking about it?  Or is he fine tuning his words to get a better sound bite?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKj6NJj8HDo&t=158s
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2018, 09:50:38 PM »
I'm familiar with that, but how does that relate to changing the age of purchasing?

If I remember right, there were some military folk affected by Lautenberg, and I think the point he's making is that Congress is not good at anticipating unintended consequences.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2018, 10:43:07 PM »
Some folks at NBC are being trolled.....

Agreed.

It all started with a Facebook video viewed more than 17 million times of a self-described responsible gun owner with a faded tattoo of the right to bear arms. So moved by the Florida shooting, that he sliced his AR-15."

This has all the hallmarks of a false flag operation. Anyone can get ahold of an AR-15 (or something that looks like an AR-15) and claim to be a "responsible gun owner" while carving up the newly-acquired video prop.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2018, 10:47:31 PM »
Man, I actually feel sorry for Marco Rubio. I just saw a few clips of that CNN "town hall". That wasn't any town hall - that was like a 1vs5000 pile-on. Perhaps the clips were biased, but that looked like a pretty much 100% stacked deck.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2018, 11:07:53 PM »
Agreed.

This has all the hallmarks of a false flag operation. Anyone can get ahold of an AR-15 (or something that looks like an AR-15) and claim to be a "responsible gun owner" while carving up the newly-acquired video prop.
I heard it said he was in New York and that gun was illegal in New York.  Not sure where they were.  The fact that he didn't know he was not only making an illegal short barreled rifle, but didn't know that the gun would still fire after that makes me think he was not a gun owner and/or knew nothing about that rifle.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2018, 11:11:05 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btyqTx-o2e8
Hank Strange had Military Arms Channel and MrGunsngear on his live discussion.  Discussed a lot of different things.  Mac from Military Arms Channel really doesn't like the NRA lately.  Hank has had a few different shows with other youtubers about this stuff. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2018, 11:17:33 PM »
Normal people generally can't afford to "make their way through the courts" for principles.  If the CA law were made nationwide, there would be a lot of wait and see what develops. 

I will wait to see the "enhancements" being recommended to the NICs check.  Clearly mental health reporting is necessary IF they were legally adjudicated as unfit.  The HIPPA thing will be very important and I foresee a big loss in privacy coming our way. 

I see the Age 21 thing as a possible.  As mentioned, the wording will be very important as there are thousands of young people who live in the country that still hunt (alone) and commonly plink with firearms.  I see the possibility of some sort of legislative gun control action to be part of funding and building the wall. 
My big problem with the age 21 limitation is it is really meaningless.  It doesn't stop any future mass shooters.  It just changes how they will obtain their guns.  The other problem is you have to decide at what point the law will treat a young man or woman like an adult and let them exercise their rights.  Where you draw that line doesn't matter.  You could make it at 30 years old.  When the next mass shooter is found to be age 28, there will be a push to raise it again.  It appears to be a meaningless concession, but it should be something that is very easy to shoot down.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2018, 11:52:24 PM »
The age thing annoys the crap out of me, simply because I wish they'd pick just one damn age for adulthood and be done with it. I don't give a rats ass if it's 18 or 21, but pick one! Vote, smoke, own guns, join the military, play the lotto and drink. Pick one. The end.

Although, how the hell they justify 21 for all firearms purchases but will put an 18 year old through Basic and ship them off to a war zone to kill people with a gun is just beyond me.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2018, 11:54:12 PM »
I heard it said he was in New York and that gun was illegal in New York.  Not sure where they were.  The fact that he didn't know he was not only making an illegal short barreled rifle, but didn't know that the gun would still fire after that makes me think he was not a gun owner and/or knew nothing about that rifle.

I've heard online people saying that he's actually a leftist pretending to be a gun owner, something to do with his facebook account being suspicious; and I think I might of already said that here but I don't feel like clicking back a few pages. Also, apparently the rifle was a pre-ban Colt and worth a bit of money. Soo... *shrug*

I'm familiar with that, but how does that relate to changing the age of purchasing?

What fistful said. Not specific to age of purchase, but an example of something that did affect the military because it didn't have any sort of exemption for them. Just an unintended consequence.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2018, 12:36:58 AM »
It applies to the military.  I've seen signs in Armories that say "If you've been Lautenberg'd, then no guns for you...until we're in theater.."  Same with cops.   Lautenberg puts you behind a desk, if not out of a job.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2018, 01:04:48 AM »
Lautenberg to me most practically meant more watches for people who didn't beat their wife. Thanks jerk.

I am reminded that at age 19 I bought an AR-15 in 1994 precisely because they were being banned. Prior to that I only owned a single shot .22 and would likely own a few hunting guns today and not care much, but the law makers instead somewhat radicalized me. Keep on pushing...
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2018, 01:27:37 AM »

Although, how the hell they justify 21 for all firearms purchases but will put an 18 year old through Basic and ship them off to a war zone to kill people with a gun is just beyond me.

Liz, we were saying the same thing when I was in Vietnam in the 1960s. At 18 we were old enough to be sent to some third world shithole to fight and die, and back home we couldn't even buy a beer in a tavern.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2018, 08:22:35 AM »
Well, it looks like the CNN thing was indeed pretty much scripted (did we expect anything else?) to an anti-gun agenda:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/22/florida-shooting-survivor-cnn-gave-me-scripted-question-for-town-hall-quashed-question-on-armed-guards.html

I know that every time we have a shooting, we have tons of "machine gun misinformation" hit the news, but this really seems to be the worst that I've seen. Certainly a good deal worse than Vegas, which wasn't that long ago. The anti emotions and outright lies are way over the top.

One other thing that worries me is that Trump, because he may hate CNN more than he likes the 2nd, may end up doing something dumb. I saw that he is backpedaling somewaht on armed teachers specifically because CNN called him out on it and he wants to make CNN look "wrong" (IMO).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2018, 08:29:31 AM »
Also, Ron Swanson is dead to me:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/02/22/we-sense-a-pattern-amy-poehler-to-the-nra-fck-off-nick-offerman-to-the-nra-eat-sit/

You are banned from the steak store forever, Ron you sissy.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2018, 09:14:25 AM »
Well, it looks like the CNN thing was indeed pretty much scripted (did we expect anything else?) to an anti-gun agenda:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/22/florida-shooting-survivor-cnn-gave-me-scripted-question-for-town-hall-quashed-question-on-armed-guards.html

I know that every time we have a shooting, we have tons of "machine gun misinformation" hit the news, but this really seems to be the worst that I've seen. Certainly a good deal worse than Vegas, which wasn't that long ago. The anti emotions and outright lies are way over the top.

One other thing that worries me is that Trump, because he may hate CNN more than he likes the 2nd, may end up doing something dumb. I saw that he is backpedaling somewaht on armed teachers specifically because CNN called him out on it and he wants to make CNN look "wrong" (IMO).
I think they are on a full court press because they have nothing else to talk about going into the primaries and the mid-term election.  I imagine they also know if they are able to push Trump into signing gun control legislation, that will turn away a portion of his voting base.  I hope he is smart enough to realize that.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2018, 09:34:08 AM »
I thought this was a good article by Michelle Malkin regarding putting "listen to our kids" (and letting 16 year olds vote) into perspective.

http://michellemalkin.com/2018/02/21/do-not-let-the-children-lead/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »
My big problem with the age 21 limitation is it is really meaningless.  It doesn't stop any future mass shooters.  It just changes how they will obtain their guns.  The other problem is you have to decide at what point the law will treat a young man or woman like an adult and let them exercise their rights.  Where you draw that line doesn't matter.  You could make it at 30 years old.  When the next mass shooter is found to be age 28, there will be a push to raise it again.  It appears to be a meaningless concession, but it should be something that is very easy to shoot down.

I agree with you and believe it is logically meaningless, but it is emotionally "feel good". At this point, I am 80% sure that a bill will be passed.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2018, 02:34:38 PM »
I agree with you and believe it is logically meaningless, but it is emotionally "feel good". At this point, I am 80% sure that a bill will be passed.

The last federal gun control bill was passed in 1994!

And it is now gone.

Do your part, and I think we can weather this also.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2018, 06:20:10 PM »
https://www.frontpagemag.com/point/269373/nra-wins-because-love-stronger-hate-daniel-greenfield#.WoxJpqnWTYI.twitter
This is an interesting take.  "THE NRA WINS BECAUSE LOVE IS STRONGER THAN HATE"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2018, 06:21:37 PM »

And it is now gone.

IMO, if they can weather the storm after Sandy Hook, they can handle this.  The wild card right now is potential new ATF regulations.  Maybe later if Fix NICS or the bill to remove suppressors from the NFA come back up, there might be a stronger effort to add amendments we don't like.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2018, 07:58:27 PM »
We won't weather this by sitting back and waiting for it to blow over. We ALL need to fire up our computers and contact the President, the Speaker of the House (Ryan), and the Republican leader of the Senate to encourage them to weather the storm. It's easy to do -- they all have on-line forms you can complete and submit in five minutes or less. I have already sent two submissions to the President -- still working on what I'll say to Ryan and McConnell.

You don't have to say much. They won't read them (probably), but their staff will tabulate how many messages they get on each side of an issue. So keep it short, to the point, and polite. But DO IT. There's an old saying in Chicago and Boston politics -- "Vote early, vote often." You can submit as many of these electronic messages as you want, so "keep those cards and letters flowing."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2018, 08:38:28 PM »

And it is now gone.

We got lucky with that one, real lucky, in that it had a sunset for some reason.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2018, 08:50:02 PM »
We have a Republican Senate, a Republican House and a Republican President who wants more gun control. If Hillary were asking for new laws the Republicans in the legislature would have pretended to oppose her, but with Trump begging for more anti-gun legislation he will get it.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2018, 10:58:47 PM »
Anyone following the story about David Hogg the "crisis actor?"

He is a student at the Florida high school that got shot up last week.  Some people are saying he is being used as a "crisis actor" because he is the son of a retired FBI agent.

Watch this video starting at the 2 minute mark.  Tell me your impressions of his speech.  Is he emotional?  On the verge of tears?  Traumatized and having trouble speaking about it?  Or is he fine tuning his words to get a better sound bite?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKj6NJj8HDo&t=158s

I see various conspiracy stuff about all the mass shootings, i read the stuff but that's it.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."