Author Topic: Parkland, Florida - "Police Presence?"  (Read 4234 times)

HankB

• friend
Parkland, Florida - "Police Presence?"
« on: February 20, 2018, 10:15:48 AM »
The day of the shooting, I saw a police official stating during a press conference that there had been a "police presence" at the Parkland school, as well as all other schools in the district.

By day 2 - nothing. Nada. NO more mention of police at the school.

Any idea what happened?

WAS there an officer or two present? Who was it? Why don't we hear from them? If they were assigned to the school - where were they and what did they do with an active shooter?

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Parkland, Florida - "Police Presence?"
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 03:06:47 PM »
The school had a school resource officer assigned to it. Reports immediately after the incident said he was on duty, but in a different building of the campus.

Unless it was his day off, or he had been called away from the school to some other incident.

And then ... crickets.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 04:25:36 PM »
Let's be glad they're not 24/7 pointing out that "an armed man with a gun" didn't make any difference.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 06:45:32 PM »
Let's be glad they're not 24/7 pointing out that "an armed man with a gun" didn't make any difference.  ;/

They will if they read YOUR post! [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 05:05:43 AM »

They will if they read YOUR post! [tinfoil]

If fistful could think of it, anyone... ah say anyone... could think of it, too.  That's a joke, ah say, that's a joke, son. =D  >:D

Foghorn Leghorn, 230RN

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 07:01:05 PM »
Looks like we have an answer . . .

https://www.wptv.com/news/national/deputy-at-florida-high-school-where-17-were-killed-never-went-in-resigns

* Cop (actually, a Broward County Sheriff's Deputy) named Scott Peterson was in uniform, on duty, armed, and on site.

* He stood around outside, doing nothing, while the shooting was going on.

* Sheriff suspended Peterson, who responding by resigning.

Another officer behaving in the finest tradition of the cowardly cops of Columbine. But at least HE got to go home that night . . . though 17 others he was charged with protecting didn't.

And he's still eligible for his pension. :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 08:18:12 PM »
The most important thing is that he went home that night....

This is one reason I personally get annoyed about acting like every cop is a hero. I would bet most aren’t.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 08:36:50 PM »
Remember this when someone tells you that arming teachers is bad because that's why we have police.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 09:17:26 PM »
When I was in LE in the 60's I did not work with any officer who would not have went into that building and engaged that shooter.  Not one officer!!!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 10:20:32 PM »
Here’s what people don’t understand.  When the county policy is intentionally constructed to ignore criminal behavior in schools, the Sheriff and School superintendent cannot rely on “law and order-minded” SRO’s to carry out the corrupt policy.

The SRO must carry a political hat and be able to intercept behavior, modify the action based on a specific policy, falsify documents, manipulate records etc, and engage in the system with an understanding of the unwritten goals.  SRO’s are given political instructions NOT, I repeat, NOT given instructions to uphold laws and regulations.

The School Officers are the primary foot soldiers carrying out political policy.  Engaging an active shooter on campus is the furthest thing from their skill-set you could imagine.
Security of school students is just not their role.  The Broward County SRO is in place to protect the School System “policy”.

:facepalm:

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2018/02/22/broward-coward-armed-county-sheriff-cowered-outside-building-refused-to-confront-parkland-school-shooter/#more-146160

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2018/02/23/broward-county-sheriffs-office-did-not-miss-warning-signs-or-make-mistakes/#more-146176
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 08:57:04 AM by Chester32141 »
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 06:02:00 AM »
But let us not forget that Deputy Peterson was SRO of the Year in 2014.

And I think I have misjudged Sheriff Israel. It appears that he has had significant military training. What is it that our high-speed, low-drag operators are taught about being captured by the enemy? "Escape and evade."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/23/police-officers-guard-home-deputy-assigned-to-florida-hs-who-never-went-in-during-shooting-report.html

When asked about what law enforcement agencies entered the building first, and at what time, Israel said that it "doesn't matter who went in first" or "what order you went in."

Translation: "Not my guys."

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 06:36:06 AM »
Appears maybe some folks aren’t happy with Deputy Peterson. Story never lets on as to why the guards.

Police officers guard home of deputy assigned to Florida HS who ‘never went in’ during shooting: reporthttp://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/23/police-officers-guard-home-deputy-assigned-to-florida-hs-who-never-went-in-during-shooting-report.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 08:31:56 AM »
I wonder why Deputy Peterson never went in to the school.  Was he scared?  Was he following orders/policy?  Was he just riding out his last few days until he can retire and get his pension?

The police guarding Peterson’s house might not make a difference.  Peterson might kill himself.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 08:35:11 AM »
Well as usual I am torn between despising the responding officer who didn't go in and despising all the ones who showed up later to no real threat in their perfectly donned tactical kit. But.... Before I can solely blame Peterson it would be interesting to know what training his department had on active shooters. If his training was to set a perimeter and wait then we have a grandstanding sheriff and a scapegoat.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 09:55:46 AM »
I have a deep conviction that no one else, none of those in any kind of authority, is very interested or motivated to defend me.  I acquired from my experience of junior high and high school (7th to 10th grade, one third of my life by the time I got past it).  

I don't think I'm wrong.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:47:42 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 10:06:43 AM »
But let us not forget that Deputy Peterson was SRO of the Year in 2014.

And I think I have misjudged Sheriff Israel. It appears that he has had significant military training. What is it that our high-speed, low-drag operators are taught about being captured by the enemy? "Escape and evade."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/23/police-officers-guard-home-deputy-assigned-to-florida-hs-who-never-went-in-during-shooting-report.html

Translation: "Not my guys."
I heard that discussed on the radio this morning.  Makes you wonder if the local department/officer knew about the shooter as a problem before this, but took no action. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 10:09:46 AM »
Well as usual I am torn between despising the responding officer who didn't go in and despising all the ones who showed up later to no real threat in their perfectly donned tactical kit. But.... Before I can solely blame Peterson it would be interesting to know what training his department had on active shooters. If his training was to set a perimeter and wait then we have a grandstanding sheriff and a scapegoat.
I would also like to hear the radio traffic or transcripts.  What did he report and did he receive orders to do what he did or conflicting information from someone watching a delayed video feed?

Lots of dirty stuff going on here.  I think this as much as anything else really underscores that there were lots of contributing factors to this tragedy far beyond the gun.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 10:30:09 AM »
Lots of dirty stuff going on here.  I think this as much as anything else really underscores that there were lots of contributing factors to this tragedy far beyond the gun.

Yup. I still don't trust this Sheriff, especially after he did his "NRA's fault" deflection during the CNN so-called "town hall". I'm trying to be careful to not be the same as the masses that are screaming for gun owners' heads. I'll fully blame the deputy after, not before, all the information is out there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 11:03:24 AM »
Yup. I still don't trust this Sheriff, especially after he did his "NRA's fault" deflection during the CNN so-called "town hall". I'm trying to be careful to not be the same as the masses that are screaming for gun owners' heads. I'll fully blame the deputy after, not before, all the information is out there.
Yeah, that report brings up all sorts of questions.  Did the shooter have an unreported criminal history (that may have put him on the felon list?)?  Did other kids do anything to him?  Who knows what else. 

With all that, I can certainly see why they would want to deflect media attention onto the gun.  Just a bunch of political rats running for cover.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 11:48:18 AM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 11:55:03 AM »
This does not surprise me one bit

https://mobile.twitter.com/thelastrefuge2/status/966854507744374784

Looks like the ball of lies might unravel.  I sure hope it does; it will be epic.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 12:04:57 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 12:06:14 PM »
Before I can solely blame Peterson it would be interesting to know what training his department had on active shooters. If his training was to set a perimeter and wait then we have a grandstanding sheriff and a scapegoat.

Setting up a perimeter stopped being the protocol right after Columbine. That may have been Deputy Peterson's protocol but it wasn't his department's protocol. That's why he was suspended.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 12:17:01 PM »

Classic, as it closely follows their attack on Trump's "notes".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."